Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd History (Formerly 2nd History...)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Any tips on which article(s) to focus on for the end of White Australia? The Kelly Article from week 1 gave me a pretty good overview, but I'm still working at condensing notes, and there's a lot of reading for lecture 4...

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭FishTaco

If you did all of White Australia then it should count for two topics. I'm doing the rise and skimming the fall as my back up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

passive wrote: »
    Any tips on which article(s) to focus on for the end of White Australia? The Kelly Article from week 1 gave me a pretty good overview, but I'm still working at condensing notes, and there's a lot of reading for lecture 4...
    Matthew Jordan: 'The Reappraisal of the White Australia Policy against
    the Background of a Changing Asia, 1945-67'

It's in the folder SEMINAR 4. UNDERSTANDING THE END OF WHITE AUSTRALIA

Dave! wrote: »
    Matthew Jordan: 'The Reappraisal of the White Australia Policy against
    the Background of a Changing Asia, 1945-67'

It's in the folder SEMINAR 4. UNDERSTANDING THE END OF WHITE AUSTRALIA

Oh yeah, know where it is. Have alllll the articles printed and in piles on my floor/desk:'(. Just wondering which was best for general overview, since I just spent about 5 hours going through the notes slowly and rewriting key bits for the rise... don't have that much time left for this + backup topic... eep... Lots of thanks anyway!

(edit: wait, I was intending to study from Lecture 4... hmm... I suppose the facts are the same, just different tones/explanations? I'll take a look ayway!)

Well I read that one and the Kelly one, and I feel I have a good understanding of White Australia, the rise and fall :) Took about 10 pages worth of notes from reading them !

Gonna get reading on the Great Betrayal now and I reckon that'll be enough.

BTW is there any benefit at all in watching Letters from Iwo Jima? :D Was thinking of watching that in bed, but I won't bother if it's a waste of time :p Any educational benefit?

• Advertisement

Well I read that one and the Kelly one, and I feel I have a good understanding of White Australia, the rise and fall :) Took about 10 pages worth of notes from reading them !

Gonna get reading on the Great Betrayal now and I reckon that'll be enough.

BTW is there any benefit at all in watching Letters from Iwo Jima? :D Was thinking of watching that in bed, but I won't bother if it's a waste of time :p Any educational benefit?

It's a good film, but nothing to do with your night before cramming. Just sleep =P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

It's a good film, but nothing to do with your night before cramming. Just sleep =P

Unless he does the question on it ;)

Brimmy wrote: »
    Unless he does the question on it ;)

9 lectures/seminars, 9 questions... You reckon there'll be a bonus question directly related to the content of the film? =P

9 lectures/seminars, 9 questions... You reckon there'll be a bonus question directly related to the content of the film? =P

Nope. But one of the seminars was about how media representation from both Japan and America helped in the post War era with a reading based on Letters from Iwo Jima that was mandatory ;)

Brimmy you're closing in on post no. 1000

use it wisely

edit

Okay you did it... I don't think you put alot of thought into it though :(

• Advertisement

Nope. But one of the seminars was about how media representation from both Japan and America helped in the post War era with a reading based on Letters from Iwo Jima that was mandatory ;)

yeah, but... still... watching the film is a less productive use of time right now than doing the reading, or even watching a couple clips of the film on youtube to get the general gist of the way it portrays them... I just don't think it's worth the time investment at this stage...

y'know...in the same way boards.ie is worth it :o

use it wisely

edit

Actually, I'm noticing that both the thread and me are nearing the 2000 mark... I'm either going to have to take it up a notch with posts all over the place in the next few days, or slow down when this thread dies post exams, and never reach my goal...

use it wisely

edit

Frak!

I noticed that earlier and was going to make a big deal about it. Thanks for someone noticing it though.

I suppose it was special though seeing as I helped you out and lawyered somebody in the process so it certianly wasn't the worst 1,000 post. I'm just under 1/16th the man you are now.
    Actually, I'm noticing that both the thread and me are nearing the 2000 mark... I'm either going to have to take it up a notch with posts all over the place in the next few days, or slow down when this thread dies post exams, and never reach my goal...

This thread will never die.

Even though large parts of our Class and many old and famous Students have fallen or may fall into the grip of Graduation and all the odious apparatus of Growing up, we shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in Exams, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Knowledge, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender, and if, which I do not for a moment believe, this Class or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Lecturers beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the Recession, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the New Class, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the thread.

That would have been a more fitting one thousanth post

I intend on doing a masters so, even though Im only a new arrival, Ill be revisiting this next year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I'm tempted to go back and delete one of his early posts so it would be #1000...

FishTaco wrote: »
    That would have been a more fitting one thousanth post

I intend on doing a masters so, even though Im only a new arrival, Ill be revisiting this next year :)

Oooh in what? I was going to apply for one in History but decided I couldn't cheat on English like that, even if it rejects me this year... which it better not.

History, Im one of the few doing single subject major in history and had a thesis to do already this year, so I may as well come back for the extra year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Your a disgrace, doing last minute cramming.

returns to last minute cramming

Anyone wanna do an all-nighter? For old times' sake? :D

Raphael wrote: »
    I'm tempted to go back and delete one of his early posts so it would be #1000...

Make it so.

But if you get crazy and delete all record of me off the internet and I become like Sandra Bullock in The Net or that other chick in The Net the tv series I'm coming for you.

• Advertisement

ha... could probably do with it, but not sure how I perform in exams without sleep. need to let the info go in...

Sure no problem! But if you hear snoring during the exam it'll be coming from me...

Got my a4 page and a half each for both subject. Time to learn them off now and reread lecture/seminar notes for my back up question.

Sure no problem! But if you hear snoring during the exam it'll be coming from me...

Got my a4 page and a half each for both subject. Time to learn them off now and reread lecture/seminar notes for my back up question.

I'll give you a tenner for your pages :P

Haha I don't know where my digital camera is. I can email you a ****ty webcam picture but doubt it would show up as I had to write small.

Haha I don't know where my digital camera is. I can email you a ****ty webcam picture but doubt it would show up as I had to write small.

Ha... S'okay... I mostly wasn't being serious. Though wish I'd condensed my notes better/done exactly what you did all day instead of procrastinating.

Right...back to the desk, working flat out 'til 2, decide then how much sleeping.

Good luck guys!

If it helps I procrastinated like crazy today. Meant to get up at 9, got up at 12. Started reading at 2....read the combined total of 3 pages till 4. Read a good bit then. Started notes around 7, just finished at 11.

Rereading over my Singapore ones I did last week and surprisingly remembering the stuff once I just gloss over it.. Awesome :)

I'm watching Poker After Dark on Setanta... It has very little to do with Australian history.

After it finishes I'll get back to reading...

Less than 12 hours now.

To sleep or to cram.. Hmm..

Dara O'Briain is on Paramount Comedy at the mo, if that helps...

• Advertisement

It really doesn't. Thankfully I have his dvd and the willpower to resits ;P

Advertisement