Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd History (Formerly 2nd History...)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

out of curiosity, what % is an A?

like... say one was entering this exam with 50% of the course done, do they only need to get half the marks on this paper to get 75% overall?

theoretically speaking, of course... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Zippitydoo

Ha- indeed. Can ye blame em though- Australia was just a big racist baby who needed to be burped :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

80 minutes to go. Heres a bit of last minute motivation :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

**** **** ****KKKKK!!!!!

Ah it wasn't THAT bad was it?

• Advertisement

Zippitydoo wrote: »
    Ah it wasn't THAT bad was it?

just completely ballsed up the second question - didnt like the look at all of number 1 on the paper, just couldnt see how i could bluff about the rise of white australia in that so lashed out 2 pages on the fall - worst question ive ever done in an exam id say.

BALLS BALLS BALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLSSSSSSSS

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭emy-87

What did everyone think?

I thought it went alright. Could have been a lot worse.

Who was wearing the Boards jacket?! I was sitting behind and to the right! Was going to say hi afterwards but then I thought I would look stalkerish :o:)

The traffic was atrocious, I was 10 mins late, so pissed off with the RDS letting people going to the Xpose ****e parking in Simmonscourt.:mad: And it wasnt just me! There was a fair few people running in at the same time.

Yeah to be honest id covered the rise and fall with great betrayal as a backup.... so glad I did a backup even though I didn't put much effort in. I barely even recognised the Rise question! Wouldn't have had a clue even though i'd studied it a good bit. **** one man sorry to hear that : /

• Registered Users Posts: 30 traceystacey

i was 15minutes late, stupid traffic and stupid Xpose people!!!

the exam was ok, i done questions 4 and 8!

yeah did 4 and 8 myself. Bit confused with the second part of 4 but was ok overall.

• Advertisement

i kind of skipped the second bit on question 4! did'nt know what to write!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

What was the second part of question 4 again?

My brain is melted.. I did questions 1 and 4. Thought it wasn't bad at all. Thankfully I glanced over one of the articles that dealt with the culture aspect of the Rise of White Australia last night so I managed to get a good bit down for that though I couldn't remember the name of the author so I just had to put in "as referenced in Anxious Nation..."

i can't remember. something to do with future policy orientation in the region.

Ah yeah remember it now. I took that towards just meaning Curtins looking to America and attempts to remend links with Britain post war.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

This thread saves my ass once again! So glad I used the fall of signapore as a backup, would have been screwed without it. Stupid Japan dicking up my rise of white australia question...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I was happy with the exam actually. Wrote my arse off so now just have to hope for the best.

I must say though the handling of the exam today was the worst I have ever experienced in all my years at the college. The invigilator for my row forgot to hand out the papers and I didn't get my paper until 9:07 on the dot. Everyone beside me had begun writing and I still had not received my paper. To say I was pissed of would be an understatement. Then when it came to leaving the person who had to sign my row out was AWOL for an age.

Absolute shambles. If I had run out of time for my questions I would have looked into making a formal complaint. Might seem like a minor incovenience, but to me losing out on 7 minutes, in an exam where you have to write against the clock, is a disgrace.

Rant over!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

The way the questions were worded was very unusual. The questions were all about 4 sentences long which i thought was a bit odd. I did questions 3 and 4. Had to be very careful not to overlap the same stuff but think i did ok. Hoping for a B in that overall

I was happy with the exam actually. Wrote my arse off so now just have to hope for the best.

I must say though the handling of the exam today was the worst I have ever experienced in all my years at the college. The invigilator for my row forgot to hand out the papers and I didn't get my paper until 9:07 on the dot. Everyone beside me had begun writing and I still had not received my paper. To say I was pissed of would be an understatement. Then when it came to leaving the person who had to sign my row out was AWOL for an age.

Absolute shambles. If I had run out of time for my questions I would have looked into making a formal complaint. Might seem like a minor incovenience, but to me losing out on 7 minutes, in an exam where you have to write against the clock, is a disgrace.

Rant over!

That's a pity. I was stuck waiting about 15 minutes to sign out the other day after English which is a bit of a joke. Don't understand what the whole signing out is meant to achieve seeing as they should note themselves how many answer books you were given.

Also anyone else find the head invigilators speech at the beginning hilarious? I was cracking up as he was going on about no more than 3 people in the toilet and if you were gone for more than 5 minutes there would be a formal inquirery.

Looked up around half 12 and there was a queue of about 10 girls at the top of the RDS. Say there was a lot of formal investigations filed today ;)

Zippitydoo wrote: »
    Yeah to be honest id covered the rise and fall with great betrayal as a backup.... so glad I did a backup even though I didn't put much effort in. I barely even recognised the Rise question! Wouldn't have had a clue even though i'd studied it a good bit. **** one man sorry to hear that : /

ah well what can you do - should have done the fall more thoroughly as a backup... would have been grand then. Hopefully ill pass anyway so a repeat wont mean i have to return from new york at christmas!

I had Doing History 2 at 6 so bounced back well... lovely one line open ended questions on the Act of Union and Irish Culture in the 19th century... just the way i like 'em :-)

If you do have to repeat you'll probably just have to do an assignment. I had to repeat Downeys 2nd year Renaissance Europe class (the whole reason this thread exists) and it was an assignment despite being an exam when I failed.

So you can always do it in New York ;) are you planning on moving for good?

Commencing my last cramathon on the Irish Experience now in a bit. Going to do education and transport. Anyone any advice on articles? Is transport good to learn for now or would I be better doing something like Welfare do you think?

• Advertisement

Brimmy wrote: »
    That's a pity. I was stuck waiting about 15 minutes to sign out the other day after English which is a bit of a joke. Don't understand what the whole signing out is meant to achieve seeing as they should note themselves how many answer books you were given.

Also anyone else find the head invigilators speech at the beginning hilarious? I was cracking up as he was going on about no more than 3 people in the toilet and if you were gone for more than 5 minutes there would be a formal inquirery.

Looked up around half 12 and there was a queue of about 10 girls at the top of the RDS. Say there was a lot of formal investigations filed today ;)

i q'd for 10 minutes to take a slash... enough said.

Not that it made any difference as I had a rake of time on my hands :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

The exam went pretty good for me :)

I did the question on The Great Betrayal, and the one on the fall of White Australia.

I thought the questions required an awful lot of information, and asked quite alot.

For dismantling White Oz:
    the key stages
    significance
    causes
    consequences

Normally I'd have to bullsh*t cos I didn't have enough information, but there was so much that I had to include that I had to write short sentences and stick to the facts :eek:

Great Betrayal
    nature of assurances
    is legitimate to speak of betrayal?
    understood at time
    implications for future

Quite alot to write about !

I did well anyways I thought. I kind of skimmed over certain parts of the question, like 'to what extent it was understood... at time', but overall I did pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Don't understand what the whole signing out is meant to achieve seeing as they should note themselves how many answer books you were given.

I don't get it either. I mean, surely if they have our signatures on the answer books then they have proof that we were in attendance? :confused:

I'm going to cover Transport and Famine & Diseases and I printed off the notes for Marriage and Religion & Society as a Plan B of sorts in case things go pear-shaped.

I'm not looking forward to this one at all.

emy-87 wrote: »
    What did everyone think?

I thought it went alright. Could have been a lot worse.

Who was wearing the Boards jacket?! I was sitting behind and to the right! Was going to say hi afterwards but then I thought I would look stalkerish :o:)

Boards jacket was me, and I happen to like stalkerish! I bought it from the cycling forum, only realised on my way to the exam how I'd be letting myself known to everyone here... Though pointing myself out on the picture had the same effect.

So...Rise of White Australia, eh? Can we say "f*ck"? The backup I prepared was lecture 2, misc Australian security concerns, but I ended up doing 4, and being very general, analytical and date/name free in a discussion of the singapore strategy. Made a couple of woeful attemps at humour too, so I hope whoever's marking it likes a chuckle...

"whatever tenuous possibility there was of Britain maintaining naval superiority in both Europe and the Pacific was (and I apologise for this) sunk by the premature fall of France and the British scuttling of the Vichy France fleet" :P

I was also in the row that didn't get the papers, but at about 12:02 I reached over and took it from the empty desk next to me... and then the occupant arrived, looked confused for a second, put her hand up for a paper before reaching around and taking one from the unoccupied desk behind her ^_^'

Oh, yeah, and I'm ****ed for Monday...

Hmm... I really don't have time to prepare detailled notes for 2 or 3 subjects. Don't suppose anyone would be up for a trade? i.e; pick a topic, condense all the dates, names and relevant points into 1 or 2 a4 pages and trade. If enough people are up for it we could make pretty decent summary sheets for tomorrow afternoon.

I'm working 8-3:30 though, so can't have it done 'til about 6pm, but if anybody likes this plan; Dibs on Seminar pack 3. Emigration woo!

I'd be up for that actually.. can do education?

I'd be up for that actually.. can do education?

It's a date!

Sweeeet.

I don't want to get your hopes up but I might put out if yours is good ;)

Bedtime now though. Gotta get up early to get started (And take a lengthy break for the United match and possibly Chelsea match).

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

I am going to make a wild prediction and say that land reform is coming up. The lecture was on the economy and agriculture: with the sample paper having a question on the economy, I think its time to break out the 6th year history books on Gladstone one last time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Wacko

Asia & Australia wasn't too bad for me, questions were a bit weird but fair enough. Dreading the Irish Experience, I will try to make out some notes tomorrow, if anyone wants them let me know and I can drag you down with me !!!

Advertisement