Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd History (Formerly 2nd History...)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ianthefox

Here's my essay. It's also the Emigration question but it covers a fair bit of context at the time.

Cheers for yours Dave.

If anyone wants to share these notes on Emigration with me ...or on education or disease, it would be much appreciated :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

FFS did anybody do a topic other than emigration??? :pac: Cheers

Brimmy, couldn't hurt to take a look at yours, yeah !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Well I did education. Ian if you want it send me a pm with your email. I'll send it to ye too now (Dave and Simon).

I'll attach my lecture notes too which are pretty detailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

brimmy theres no other words for it other than your a complete hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Brimmy wrote: »
    Well I did education. Ian if you want it send me a pm with your email. I'll send it to ye too now (Dave and Simon).

I'll attach my lecture notes too which are pretty detailed.

wow... you take good notes :eek:.

• Advertisement

Cheers. Now to just learn off the 8 pages of sh!te.

Also anyone think it'll look a bit weird when 5 or so of us spew up the same material in the same format? ;)

ill just start at the end and finish at the beginning. :pac:

Also anyone think it'll look a bit weird when 5 or so of us spew up the same material in the same format? ;)

only if we're all sitting next to each other...

passive wrote: »
    wow... you take good notes :eek:.

Haha I had too. I only made about half the lectures and knew this would be my question to answer on. Thanks though.

What's better, knowing 1 question inside out or 2 half well?

Haha I had too. I only made about half the lectures and knew this would be my question to answer on. Thanks though.

What's better, knowing 1 question inside out or 2 half well?

2, I reckon, unless you have some kind of guarantee that the 1 thing you know will come up in a useable fashion on the paper. Otherwise we'll hear your sobs and be distracted...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I've spent the last 24 hours learning transport and famine & diseases. Marriage is going to be my Plan B. The B standing for 'bollocks nothing I studied came up so I'm relying on my crappy marriage notes'.

Will be glad to put this one behind me. Last ever history exam! Woo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Okay I've prepared for the transport/communication question !

Now..... disease, or education? Someone tell me

Education has a lot of dates but you can wean a lot of the crap out of it. Most of the articles are basically "xxx was going to put in a reform but it failed before it got off the ground". You could basically stick too "School system 1831, Synod of Thurles 1850, other crap xxxx, 1892 Primary made compulsory, 1908 UCD established" etc.

Education, since Brim's notes are delicious.
    Plus, I think it's likely that it might be similar to the mock question. Or that you'd be able to bring elements of it in, at least.

Of course, I'll probably be horribly wrong and you'll see me crawl out of the exam hall after a half hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Wacko

It's like the leaving cert all over again.

Wacko wrote: »
    It's like the leaving cert all over again.

well... 1/2 the amount of essays to write... Wait.. you f*ckers all did the improved course, didn't ye? *grumbles*

So quiet. Calm before the storm eh?

Wacko did you give me the notes on transport? Your figures are quite well.. Wacko.

1845 - 70 miles of rail track.

3 lines down.

Ireland had 515 miles of track in 1850 and 2370 in 1880

It built 445 miles in 5 years during the Famine? That can't be right..

finished emigration now. onto education which looks intimidating from brimmys notes! :-)

ill be happy to be finished at 2, have a 'well done simon' bottle of ken before rising at 8 to write mock essays before the exam. The key way of jamming the info into the oul noggin!

Read the lecutre notes and if there's anything you don't get read my write up of the article.

The article is essentially 2 pages of the lecture because it focuses on college and only briefly touches secondary and ignores primary education all together.

he does say "3 lines in operation"
    mebbe lots was on its way then? *shrug* anyone know anything about history can help us out?

• Advertisement

*Shrug* It's the only transport source I have anyway. Just going to use it as my backup as it seems the most blaggable topic on the course.

Now time to Emigrawful ;) (that made me lol in these dark times)

Train Wanka's!!!

People who do not watch the inbetweeners may not understand this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Wacko

Wacko did you give me the notes on transport? Your figures are quite well.. Wacko.

3 lines down.

Didn't notice that !

Ireland had 515 miles of track in 1850 and 2370 in 1880 - comes from Gribbon, New History of Ireland

and

1845 - 70 miles of rail track. (that was operational rail track) - comes from the lecture notes.

Might be best to leave it out, I dunno :(

Train Wanka's!!

Haha, bus ****!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Zippitydoo

Was it not that Ireland by 1845 was up to building 70 miles of new track per year?

No that wouldn't make sense either would it because the railway age began post famine and they averaged 60 per year.. still possible though as the famine would have brought a downturn in building for awhile.

Zippitydoo wrote: »
    Was it not that Ireland by 1845 was up to building 70 miles of new track per year?

No that wouldn't make sense either would it because the railway age began post famine and they averaged 60 per year.. still possible though as the famine would have brought a downturn in building for awhile.

good theory - whats 70 x 5? :-)

Who knows were not mathematicians now are we... were historians! Kinda.

I think I could be right though...

Probably are. I'd go with a fact in a book over a lecturer note any day if there was a conflict because at least it's in print if it's wrong.

Anyone got any more notes on Emigration? I'm oddly actually liking the feel of this but I don't think I have enough from Dave and Passives notes to pull out a high quality answer with lots of depth beyond surface figures (no offense) and really don't want to read another article..

Here's my emigration essay... no notes in print form sorry. I never bothered getting my mark but I think it's semi decent.

Any chance I could get those education notes off you that people are raving about please? :D

Oh my email is christianstevens@gmail.com

God I'm a twat just remembered my essays not emmigration it's marriage.... apologies.

• Advertisement

Cheers for that. PM me your email address and I'll send them :)

Miller: Ireland was a “sick society,” Those left behind were condemned to institutionalised superfluousness

Eh...super flu ousness? Is my brain broken or does that make sense to anyone?

Advertisement