Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd History (Formerly 2nd History...)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lilmissdids

hey there..
    i see that some of you are taking the italian city states course and i wanted to ask you if you happened to have notes on the religion lecture.. i missed that one.. i would be SO grateful.
    thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

hey there..
    i see that some of you are taking the italian city states course and i wanted to ask you if you happened to have notes on the religion lecture.. i missed that one.. i would be SO grateful.
    thanks in advance :)

He puts the slides up on blackboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lilmissdids

oh yes i know, i am looking at the slides at this moment, but there are just a few points. in his lectures i usually wrote down more than what was on the slides. i was just wondering if someone had something to add..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

FishTaco wrote: »
    Passive, congrats on the post count! How you getting on with the study? I thought the annals booklet would have a bit of info about the Annals but it all seems to be waffle about divergence between different ones and how you go about dating them

Yeeeaah.... It isn't great. But I've got nothing else to go on. Going to read extensively about the book of kells and the origins of the alphabet, using my woeful notes and the books I got out, but I'm mostly relying on the fact that A) with 35% down I really just need to make a token effort to pass this exam
    and B) even a GP of 2.0 from this course shouldn't stop me getting a 2.1, while a really high GP from this course wouldn't put me in reach of a 1st

so... I just need to get through it.
    Lizziepoos wrote: »
    THAT WAS ME!!!!
    Best part of the exam, watching you wander around the desk jungle. We boardsies got each other backs...

Many, many thanks to you =). I got about halfway back using your directions, then someone else pointed me the rest of the way, and I lost about another 2 minutes to sitting and laughing at myself until I felt ready to tackle the 2nd question ^_^

And yeah... that 2000 post thing took a lot of work =).

*takes a screenshot before he sends this message* Hmm...actually, no, it says i have 1999 now... I guess one of my epic spam messages from last night got deleted. I'll screenshot it now after this so ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Wacko

what period does that cover out of interest? (irish revolution)

1910-23, not sure what I will cover for it, just a stab in the dark and hope for the best !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Wacko wrote: »
    1910-23, not sure what I will cover for it, just a stab in the dark and hope for the best !

feck i wish i did that - sounds straightforward enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Nice to see your putting so much effort into the last of the study Passy ;)

Finished yesterday, went to a friends last night and stayed up playing Football Manager all night... this coupled with my all five hours sleep the previous night has resulted in a very tired Brimmy that is not helped by the fact that Carlos damn Tevez is unsettled at West Ham! Grr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Zippitydoo

Congrats to whoever's finished guys! 1 more for me on thursday...

I was another one of those journey guiders passive! :D The blond guy in white... gave me quite a chuckle watching you wander round in dismay for a minute or 2 :p cheers for the thumbs up haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Brimmy wrote: »

Finished yesterday, went to a friends last night and stayed up playing Football Manager all night... this coupled with my all five hours sleep the previous night has resulted in a very tired Brimmy that is not helped by the fact that Carlos damn Tevez is unsettled at West Ham! Grr.

Tevez???? Has three years of arts not thought you anything?

Tevez???? Has three years of arts not thought you anything?

That I can analyse historical documents or read literature on numerous sublevels? Or that Tevez is a great striker that may give the ball away a lot but usually gets it back?

• Advertisement

*cries and whimpers* I'm so screwed for this exam

And thanks to you too Zippity. Yay for the internet! ^_^

passive wrote: »
    *cries and whimpers* I'm so screwed for this exam

Okay... That wasn't so bad!

FINISHED!!!

Welcome to the real world ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

So thats it. Its all over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

So thats it. Its all over

Just history for me anyway after wentworth to cromwell which went alright.

2 politics exams in two days now which will be very difficult!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sukey68

Folks, please excuse the newby interruption but: would you recommend history at UCD to a level 1 student? What option courses are good?

You don't do option courses in first year. It's all pre assigned to give you a feel for the course :)

We should have a funeral for the thread..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sukey68

No, I know that Brimmy. Its options at Levels 2 & 3 I want to know about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Spraggs

It's all over, goodbye UCD History!

Sukey68 wrote: »
    Folks, please excuse the newby interruption but: would you recommend history at UCD to a level 1 student? What option courses are good?

They change every year depending on what the lecturers want to do really and who's on staff.

What areas are you interested in?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Here ya go mate, take a look here
    http://www.ucd.ie/history/undergraduate.htm

You can have a look at the modules offered in each stage

Personally I found the option modules to be quite good, but the core ones to be terrible.

Unfortunately you don't get to choose most of them, so you're stuck doing the sh*tty core modules, with 1 or 2 optional ones.

It's one of my major gripes with the history programme in UCD... not nearly enough scope for directing your own education and choosing what interests you. Consequently I ended up studying christianity, islam, the vikings, and Asian history, none of which I would have chosen given the option. I did not enjoy the classes really, had no interest in the material, and so didn't engage with it for the most part, resulting in mediocre grades.

If I could choose again I would try and find a college that allows you to choose most/all of your classes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Spraggs

Sukey68 wrote: »

If you want to escape a sinking ship, go somewhere else that hasn't suffered from horizons yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ianthefox

I thought Horizons was deadly.

Agree with Dave on the crapiness of the core modules. A few good ones, but mostly borrrring. I'm sure it'll be worse now that Gough's gone too. At least you could count on him to keep it interesting.

Some great option modules though.

Gough's gone? To where?

I was going to do his course this year but opted for the American History module. Wish I hadn't now looking back. Still pissed that Edward James's module for Sci Fi in America was cancelled :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Brimmy wrote: »
    Gough's gone? To where?

I was going to do his course this year but opted for the American History module. Wish I hadn't now looking back. Still pissed that Edward James's module for Sci Fi in America was cancelled :(

I heard that he was retiring (Gough)

Yeah, he was retiring after this year. Legend. My history teacher in school was the reason I did history in college, and he said the reason he stuck with history was because of Hugh Gough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Rossi-Radar

So this is what it feels like to be finished?.......Wow!

Yeah Hugh Gough along with Deco Downing were my two favourite lecturers. Deco was an acquired taste. You either loved him or you hated him!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm pretty sure I had Hugh Gough one of the years. Did he do a French Revolution course? If it's who I'm thinking of, I do remember liking his course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Rossi-Radar

Yeah he was the First Year Comparative Revolutions course......ah first year.....such a distant fond memory :(

• Advertisement

Yeah, mad for a bit of French Revolution, our Hugh.

I went to a Leaving Cert lecture he put on in Trinity before I started in UCD. It was all about death in Stalinist Russia. So good.

Finished my last exam today, so I'm all done. :) + :(

Advertisement