Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd History (Formerly 2nd History...)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

i feel we should leave our renaissance tips here now...

surely calvin or luther will come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm gonna really prepare Luther, and a bit on Philip II and Calvin too.

Not sure what to do for the first part :confused: Havent even looked at those notes yet

yeh luther should be big... in an ideal world id love luther and the jesuits as i did my essays on them!

philip II seems to be cropping up a bit..

the structure is 2 questions to be answered out of 8/10 isnt it?

Think it's 2 sections... 6 questions/topics in each, answer 1 from each section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I was told that either Luther or Calvin usually comes up so I'm relying on them. I was going to cover Phillip II and Rudoplh as well, but I can't find much on them, so I may cover the Jesuits as well, just to be safe. And by safe I mean marginally less screwed.

• Advertisement

luther/calvin are in the first section right?

then phillip, jesuits etc.. in the second..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Flume

luther/calvin are in the first section right?

then phillip, jesuits etc.. in the second..

Spot on.

Hopefully its calvin or luther in the first section.
    Then the council of trent in the 2nd. Phillip sounds like hes coming up too.So maybe just focus on these for me. It all depends on what way the questions are structured though........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

There's nothing in regards to good source material on Philip. I tried doing my essay on him and it was incredibly hard to find. He did drop some big hints on Luther in the last lecture though so fingers crossed for that.

Also does anyone have the notes that aren't Downeys? (Can't remember the lecturers name)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 rubyroo

Is anyone else having problems opening Dr Downey's notes? the complete set that he sent is a zip file and won't translate properly into word...I'm pretty illiterate when it comes to this kinda thing so any advice??

Also, anyone else going to study the courts..i think that's a sure thing from the way Dr Kiernan was talking...

what do u mean by the courts?

• Advertisement

the princely courts of Europe - Dr kiernan took the lecture, so the notes are from her email but i think it counts as the second half of the course. Court etiquette etc. we did Versailles as an example

rubyroo wrote: »
    the princely courts of Europe - Dr kiernan took the lecture, so the notes are from her email but i think it counts as the second half of the course. Court etiquette etc. we did Versailles as an example

I was thinking of doing them but didn't see say if we answered on it she'd expect a lot higher quality than was in the notes? Like she wanted us to do a LOT of reading for it... which is defunct for something so vague you could easily do Luther/Calvinism and Trent/Jesuists and be guaranteed a question.

And the notes should be easy to open in the format they're in, they're not zipped so if they're corrupt on yours and you need them again just pm me your email address. Same goes for anyone who needs Downeys notes.

Also what was the cut off period in the course, like the breaking point between the 2 sections?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Flume

Brimmy wrote: »
    Also what was the cut off period in the course, like the breaking point between the 2 sections?

The 2nd section started with the council of trent.

On the jesuits, after reading MacCulloch all i can seem to find is the setting up of the jesuits and not a lot about their activity afterwards. Am i missing something or is that what the focus is meant to be on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Flume wrote: »

On the jesuits, after reading MacCulloch all i can seem to find is the setting up of the jesuits and not a lot about their activity afterwards. Am i missing something or is that what the focus is meant to be on?

Well theres not much about them in Mc Culloch but as points:
    Overseas Missions
    Education
    Reform

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭*Hank Scorpio*

Anyone doing U.S Foreign Policy? Not until next thursday i know but what topics are people doing? Pre 1945 and post? I dunno what to concentrate on :|

yeah but the notes that Downey left to be photocopied on the Courts are pretty concise and clear..she said you ahve to cover two separate courts for the exam so i'm guessing they might be there.

Got the notes downloaded eventually, i was just being a moron as someone explained to me.. and as for US Foreign Policy? shame on you, I can't even THINK about that until Friday is over and done with! :)

Anyone doing U.S Foreign Policy? Not until next thursday i know but what topics are people doing? Pre 1945 and post? I dunno what to concentrate on :|

It's Friday and I'm thinking McCarthy and maybe Eisenhower for the first section. Nixon and Johnson/Carter for the second.

It's Friday and I'm thinking McCarthy and maybe Eisenhower for the first section. Nixon and Johnson/Carter for the second.

Thursday I thought?

wish I had done that course :( I'm doin the OTHER US history course, in 2nd semester....... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 35 paranoid wreck

for the US History if you cover world war one and two should that not prepare you for the first part?

Eisenhower was president post 1945 so should that not be in the second section?

Did he give any hints of what would come up?????

• Advertisement

Thursday I thought?

You're right, I'm an idiot, apologies.
    for the US History if you cover world war one and two should that not prepare you for the first part?

Eisenhower was president post 1945 so should that not be in the second section?

Did he give any hints of what would come up?????

Covering the two world wars would be far far too vague though, at least I think so. You're more or less guaranteed a Nixon question though from the way he talked about him in the seminars and the fact that Nixon is synonymous with Vietnam.

I thought the cut off for the course was AFTER ww2 although you might be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Wilde

Can anyone tell what topics I need to study for the Renaissance exam tomorrow? for both sections of the course, please. I havin't started yet and need to cram :(
    Thanks in advance.

Wilde wrote: »
    Can anyone tell what topics I need to study for the Renaissance exam tomorrow? for both sections of the course, please. I havin't started yet and need to cram :(
    Thanks in advance.

Look at the exam paper. Im expecting something on : Luther/Calvin, Tridentine Catholicism, the Habsburgs, Jesuits again perhaps.

For Kiernans part: Philosophers perhaps, MAybe even the Renaissance outside Italy. not really sure for this one

I accept no responsibility for my predictions. The course is massive

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Wilde

Thanks! Anyone else have any idea for the 1st part of the course? can anyone email me the notes for Dr. Kiernans part?

Mccarthy? Pre 1945? i'm confused, Eisehower was post ww2 in power as well so :|

he said 6 questions for pre 1945 and 6 post but we had like what? 4 lectures pre 1945

Wellsprings of U.S. foreign policy.
    War for Empire.
    ww1 and its aftermath/Wilson.
    ww2.

WW1/Wilson and ww2 we also kinda had essays on so i dunno what he could ask about them

You get the email that Australian History for semester 2 has been replaced with a module on irish elections? I cant seem to find it on sis tho

Flume wrote: »

yeh the main points about the jesuits is the education.. i went to a jesuit school and we were thought all that for years so its a handy question for me!!!

by the looks of the past papers there is basically a question on everything important..

Mccarthy? Pre 1945? i'm confused, Eisehower was post ww2 in power as well so :|

he said 6 questions for pre 1945 and 6 post but we had like what? 4 lectures pre 1945

Wellsprings of U.S. foreign policy.
    War for Empire.
    ww1 and its aftermath/Wilson.
    ww2.

WW1/Wilson and ww2 we also kinda had essays on so i dunno what he could ask about them

My head = all over the shop, sorry.

We did feck all before 1945 so unless there's like 3 questions on ww1 or he includes ww2 as section 1 of the course then I don't see how he'll do it. He said questions that came up on essays could very likely come up on the paper.

Spain would be a definite I imagine or at the very least Cuba. Loss of American Manhood would be easy for the first part as well I imagine.

If anyone has Kiernans notes any chance I can get them? myotheremailaccountisnt@gmail.com Have Downeys if you need them, cheers in advance.

We did feck all before 1945 so unless there's like 3 questions on ww1 or he includes ww2 as section 1 of the course then I don't see how he'll do it. He said questions that came up on essays could very likely come up on the paper.

Spain would be a definite I imagine or at the very least Cuba. Loss of American Manhood would be easy for the first part as well I imagine.

He definately said essays could come up yeah? as i was gona learn mine as an extra backup.

yeah i agree on the pre 1945 point - we did rather little on it, surely we will get a question on Wilson i think, probably his post war thinking/
    League of Nations etc

i emailed Robert Brigham today btw but have a feeling hes in the States atm

Hmmm :|

• Advertisement

Try emailing him on his Vasar account (google it) should be easy enough to find he says he checks that all the time anyway, was checking it when he was here and if I'm not mistaken he gave us that as well as the beginning of the year.

Spanish/America war should definitely be one and I imagine Nixon should be another, outside of that it's very murky especially for the second part.

Advertisement