Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd History (Formerly 2nd History...)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Glad the Renaissance to Enlightenment exam is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Glad the Renaissance to Enlightenment exam is over.

If people did any amount of study they wouldve been grand. A few tricky ones, Luther had a rather narrow timeframe and the omission of a Council of Trent question may have stung some. Otherwise, it was a fair paper

If people did any amount of study they wouldve been grand. A few tricky ones, Luther had a rather narrow timeframe and the omission of a Council of Trent question may have stung some. Otherwise, it was a fair paper

Slightly annoying module with the lack of blackboard but Declan Downey seemed to know his stuff on the topic. If we had seminars every week like we did the other history lectures the attendance would have been higher IMO. I did the Luther question and Philip II. I hope I got a decent mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Did the same questions as you Pride Fighter :) My Philip II essay was mostly waffle and bullsh*t... I'd be happy to pass really, and I think I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I did the Luther & Phillip questions too. I thought it was a really nice exam paper. Everything I studied came up, so that was nice. Not sure how well I did, but I'm just happy the paper wasn't nasty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Flume

Anyone know if the essay topics can come up in the exam?I assume that they can because nearly everything was an essay but just want to make sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Lizziepoos

I was wondering that too. There's no way he can come up with ten new essay titles, is there? Though he does strike me as someone with a whole lot up his sleeve. I dunno, i'm just studying a couple of the big topics; Jesuits in Japan, Japanese-Russian war, maybe something about Tokugawa power. Did anyone go to the last lecture? Did he give any clues?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭*Hank Scorpio*

how are people set for tomorrow with US Foriegn Policy?, my last exam, left the study to the last minute again *sigh* but i've made up notes on Nixon/Detante and i'm gona pray we get a nice ww2 question similar to the essay one(what else could he ask on ww2?, we only did the pre war Foreign Policy, Lend Lease blabla)

Lizziepoos wrote: »
    I was wondering that too. There's no way he can come up with ten new essay titles, is there? Though he does strike me as someone with a whole lot up his sleeve. I dunno, i'm just studying a couple of the big topics; Jesuits in Japan, Japanese-Russian war, maybe something about Tokugawa power. Did anyone go to the last lecture? Did he give any clues?

I went to the lecture, and in my notes i have, "essay topics cannot come up" then further down i have "essay topics can come up". Go figure!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Amata

i am so screwed for U.S history...!!i wish i'd listened in the lectures!I have done absolutely nothing.I'm praying to god that nixon and detente and wilson comes up...otherwise i'm seriously screwed!i barely even know them as it is!:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Zippitydoo

I'm banking on Wilson and Nixon/detente big time too! Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Spanish-American-Filipino War and Cuban Missile Crisis for me! I'd say Detente is a guarantee though.. might revise that now.

I got the DART to Blackrock and as I was never there in my life I had to subtly follow some guy who looked like a UCD student. I found it, as soon as I saw people with those scarfs we got on the first day I knew I was on the right track. I did the Turner Thesis question and detente. I saw Bob there near the end, I could not wish him a happy Christmas.

Declan downey's Asian tigers paper was one of the fairest i've ever done.Something for everyone really. The only thing is that the marking is probably going to be hard now.

I am finished WOO!!

Did detente and the Turner thesis much like yourself Pride and saw Bob as well at the end.. he waved to me during the exam but the invigilator just looked at me so I couldn't wave back..

yeah the paper was nice, i did detente and the ww2 Roosevelt question between 1939-41, that kinda sucked though with the neutrality acts BEFORE 1939 etc :| i still mentioned them, oh well i think i did grand.

What modules are people doing this semester? I am doing the Italian History one and the US from 1800-1877, should tie in nicely with the US foreign policy one I did last year. Oh and the core course we are all forced to do. The mid east lecturer is one of the lecturers so it should be good I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

What modules are people doing this semester? I am doing the Italian History one and the US from 1800-1877, should tie in nicely with the US foreign policy one I did last year. Oh and the core course we are all forced to do. The mid east lecturer is one of the lecturers so it should be good I hope.

Im down for Electioneering and the core course. btw last years U.S. module wont really be of any use, theyre completely different parts of U.S. history

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I think he meant because this US module leads onto semester 1's, so it ties in in that respect (although there is a bit of a gap).

I'm doing 'the Third Reich in perspective' (think that's what it's called) and that US History one too. Tadhg O'HAnnracháin is doing the Irish core module... think it's like 'Land and Identity'. Maybe there'll be no exam for it! :eek:

I'm looking forward to the 3rd reich one... anyone done it before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭rotten_eggz

Anyone doing the Kingships of Tara module? I picked it cos it was one of the few things that would fit my timetable, anyway looking at my schedule i see its on in richview at 10 on a tuesday after the preselect module at 9 in the newman, isnt richview miles away from the newman? how do they expect us to make it on time?

• Advertisement

DaveMcG wrote: »
    I think he meant because this US module leads onto semester 1's, so it ties in in that respect (although there is a bit of a gap).

I'm doing 'the Third Reich in perspective' (think that's what it's called) and that US History one too. Tadhg O'HAnnracháin is doing the Irish core module... think it's like 'Land and Identity'. Maybe there'll be no exam for it! :eek:

I'm looking forward to the 3rd reich one... anyone done it before?

Same modules as myself. Looking forward to the 3rd reich one but i think its canged a bit this year compared to other years. Not 100% on that though, could just be the name thats changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

Flume wrote: »
    Same modules as myself. Looking forward to the 3rd reich one but i think its canged a bit this year compared to other years. Not 100% on that though, could just be the name thats changed.

we did one last year with kristoph muller, i'm not sure if it was just the third reich because it went up to berlin wall. anyway, best module i've ever done hands down in ucd!

also if you're doing the core history for second year this semester, get readings and books and stuff early because the library has about 10 books total on the course, impossible to find anything closer to the deadlines.

Im down for Electioneering and the core course. btw last years U.S. module wont really be of any use, theyre completely different parts of U.S. history

I read up on pre Spanish-American war US history before doing last semesters course so I already have that foundation. US history is like a broken record the same things always happen so its useful in that regard.

I'm doing the 3rd reich module myself and totally stoked for it, hands down my favorite period of history, just hope the lecturers good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭spaceman1

Regarding 2nd Year History Semester 2, is anyone else getting a message that says:

'WARNING - You have chosen 0 out of a mandatory 1 Option Modules'

In my list of available modules it says 'None found', which means I can't select a module anyway. Is this a bug with the system or should I be getting a list?

spaceman1 wrote: »
    Regarding 2nd Year History Semester 2, is anyone else getting a message that says:

'WARNING - You have chosen 0 out of a mandatory 1 Option Modules'

In my list of available modules it says 'None found', which means I can't select a module anyway. Is this a bug with the system or should I be getting a list?

How many history modules did you do last year? You have to do a combined of 5 over both semesters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭spaceman1

I did two last semester and I'm already registered for three this semester.

Where is Edu/Res HUB Th.E Sci? I have a history lecture there tomorrow. If my logic is correct its theatre E in the Science building, however I have only ever been in there once and it felt creepy, with all the nerds and all.

Where is Edu/Res HUB Th.E Sci? I have a history lecture there tomorrow. If my logic is correct its theatre E in the Science building, however I have only ever been in there once and it felt creepy, with all the nerds and all.
    http://www.ucd.ie/maps/ucdmap_eng.html

number 23 on the map, its in the science building yeah, biggish lecture theatres alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

*paws at your ankles as you pass*

Meeeeaaaatttt....

Advertisement