Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd History (Formerly 2nd History...)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Was that US History, Pride? Went there this maidin, sounds like a pretty sweet course tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Was that US History, Pride? Went there this maidin, sounds like a pretty sweet course tbh!

US history 1800-1877 is the class, it seems interesting and managable. It is 100% exam though so if you like the oul essays you'll miss out. Anybody go to Tadhgs lecture at 9? He is a pretty sound chap, had him last semester for west and mid east.

Yeah 100% exam... I'm not too upset bout that though. I had the same for a politics module last semester and it was okay. It will mean I'll have more time to concentrate on other modules that I'm sh*tting myself about (comp sci ones :(). I'm hoping to spread my studying out over the semester too, so maybe that'll help.

I went to the 9am module. I'm more interested in modern history than... early modern... so I'm not too thrilled about having to do this module. But Tadhg was awesome for West and ME, so I trust that he'll be as good for this 8-)

Anyone know how it's being assessed though? I wonder if it's no exam, like W&ME was...! :eek:

Yeah 100% exam... I'm not too upset bout that though. I had the same for a politics module last semester and it was okay. It will mean I'll have more time to concentrate on other modules that I'm sh*tting myself about (comp sci ones :(). I'm hoping to spread my studying out over the semester too, so maybe that'll help.

I went to the 9am module. I'm more interested in modern history than... early modern... so I'm not too thrilled about having to do this module. But Tadhg was awesome for West and ME, so I trust that he'll be as good for this 8-)

Anyone know how it's being assessed though? I wonder if it's no exam, like W&ME was...! :eek:

It does not say on the history website, it probably does on the SIS registration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

It does not say on the history website, it probably does on the SIS registration.

Yeah, according to the SIS page it's 20% for an 800 word essay, the 80% being an exam.

• Advertisement

800 words eh? Sounds good :D

Not like the 500000 (or thereabouts) word essays for Renaissance, which earned you about 5% each :mad:

800 words eh? Sounds good :D

Not like the 500000 (or thereabouts) word essays for Renaissance, which earned you about 5% each :mad:

I prefer longer essays as in the short ones you have to be sharp and to the point. I like including all the relevant info. In short essays before I have known topics inside out and ommited what I deemed less important and when I get it back it says where is X. Agghhhh. I prefer 1200-2000 worders ya know.

Each to their own I guess :D I don't mind the longer ones when they're for reasonable marks tbh.

Each to their own I guess :D I don't mind the longer ones when they're for reasonable marks tbh.

Yeah, a bit of uniformity is nice. Last semester 2 1500 worders were worth the full marks in the west and mid east course yet in the Renaissance to Enlightenment 2 1500 worders are worth 10% apiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Yeah, a bit of uniformity is nice. Last semester 2 1500 worders were worth the full marks in the west and mid east course yet in the Renaissance to Enlightenment 2 1500 worders are worth 10% apiece.

The Renaissance structure was a complete joke and it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of people (myself included most likely) end up repeating it this year. Compared to the rest of the modules the work rate just wasn't worth it, the Age of the Caliphate had an 800 word worth 20% and a 3,000 word worth 80% which is available to collect in the History office now actually just in case anyone missed the mail.

• Advertisement

Anybody doing Italian history? The lecturer is awesome!!

Anybody doing Italian history? The lecturer is awesome!!

Yeah! I'm really pleased with the course. I picked it thinking there's a good chance it'll be a filler course, but it seems really good.

Tom65 wrote: »
    Yeah! I'm really pleased with the course. I picked it thinking there's a good chance it'll be a filler course, but it seems really good.

Were you in the seminar today? It was funny trying to get the stuff to work.

Were you in the seminar today? It was funny trying to get the stuff to work.

Yeah. It seems like whenever a lecturer trys to use the AV stuff it's ****s up. Still though, he managed to rescue it be from being a colossal waste of time.

Does anyone know what percentage of the module the 2,000 word Italian essay is worth?

I hope everyone in second history got the results they wanted.

Failed Renaissance (was expecting too though) and did much better than expected in the age of the Caliphate so I'm happy.

Anyone know what the story with repeats is though for Renaissance and what week are we getting our assignments for this year in Irish?

Brimmy wrote: »
    Failed Renaissance (was expecting too though) and did much better than expected in the age of the Caliphate so I'm happy.

Anyone know what the story with repeats is though for Renaissance and what week are we getting our assignments for this year in Irish?

That sucks, I managed to escape it with a C and the less said about it the better. Good luck in your repeat, I hope it all goes well.

I got an E in Renaissance, hopefully I'll get bumped by compensation.

I got an E in Renaissance, hopefully I'll get bumped by compensation.

Wouldn't you know if you already passed with compensation?

What sucks is that I got an F- for the combined total of the 2 assignments (even though one was a D-) and a D- for the exam. As the assignments were only worth 10% I would have sworn that should have passed me with compensation.

Cheers Pride, I have every faith in the 2,500 word essay for next month.. joy! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭*Hank Scorpio*

A question for anyone who does the 2nd Year U.S History 1800-1897( or whatever).

I've been sick the last 3 weeks and haven't been to any seminars or lectures really but I wanted to know what are the seminars like? Does he divide people into groups etc to discuss topics or does he just treat it like another lecture where he talks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Flume

A question for anyone who does the 2nd Year U.S History 1800-1897( or whatever).

I've been sick the last 3 weeks and haven't been to any seminars or lectures really but I wanted to know what are the seminars like? Does he divide people into groups etc to discuss topics or does he just treat it like another lecture where he talks?

He just treats it like another lecture. Nice guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭*Hank Scorpio*

Flume wrote: »
    He just treats it like another lecture. Nice guy.
    nice one, cheers :)

I love this course so much :) And he's a great lecturer

I love this course so much :) And he's a great lecturer

Yeah, he is quite good.

Is it just the trenchcoat that makes him seem so -- or is he about 7 foot tall? :confused:

What do you all think about the US history module now? I think its crap, no good books, boring lectures and uncertainty about whats coming up on the exam.

Yep I don't like it at all..... Nearly fell asleep in the 2 lectures we've had in it. Why doesn't he give us all copies of his pre-written speech? Would probably be handy, cos I can barely even hear him in the lectures.

Come back Prof Bric, all is forgiven :(

BTW, anybody been to any of this guy's seminars? What does he do at them? Haven't bothered.

ALSO, haven't been to any of Prof Gerwarth's recent seminars either :D Has be mentioned the exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

did anybody see the late late show a few weeks ago with that idiot holocaust denier on the programme? Im pretty sure the 3rd Reich in Context lecturer was there on stage debating with him!

• Advertisement

Yeah it was Dr Gerwarth! Legend :D

Advertisement