Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to London with 12 yr old

Options
  • 07-10-2007 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

I'm taking 12 yr old son to London next month. I know my way around and have thought of the usuals (Madame Tussuads, Wembley, Science Museum, London Eye, etc). What or where else would you recommend? He hasn't been to London before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Give us some clues....

Whereabouts will you be staying ? London is one BIIIIIG city

What are your son's interests ?

Maybe a boat trip down the Thames ( could include this in the London Eye )
    or even take in a football match. If QPR or one of the Championship teams are at home this could be cheaper than a Premiership match ( you would get tickets easy enough ).

How about the Tower of London ? May appeal to his sense of the gruesome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Tower of London is great, but quite expensive and you'd need a whole day there. As you are going to the London Eye, also visit the London Aquarium which is just a few yards away on the same quay.

The Imperial War Museum is very interesting.

I second the IWM...

Best thing about it , it's FREE !!

It's about 10 mins walk from the London Eye

Enjoy yourself, I may be biased, but London is a GREAT city

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

I'd skip the London Eye - was distinctly underwhelmed by it; don't think Tower of London would merit a whole day - 2-3 hours would do. I didn't find it all that expensive; but it's all relative I guess.

You don't have Natural History Museum on your list - I would definitely add that one.

Enjoy your trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

thanks for replies. staying in Ealing - so central London sites really. He's not interested in going to match as it would take up so much of the day and lucky kid that he is, he has been to lots of big matches in various stadium. Tower of London sounds good and grusome, he picked Madame Tussauds Chamber of Horrors on the basis of it's gruesomness (it that even a word!!). I'll check web site for Natural History Museum tonight. Looking forward to showing him as much as we can manage. Tks everyone. :)

• Advertisement

OP

I know Ealing very well PM me if you want any specific advise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

Hey. to be honest i wouldn't bother with the Natural history museum if you only have a few days. Apart from the very impressive entrance hall, I don't think it's as fun as the one in Dublin. I'd check out the London walks website, they have an amazing selection of really interesting walking tours of the city that are really fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

I second the Imperial War Museum - very interesting indeed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

The museum of horrors is good (if he likes the horror section in m tussads he ll love this) . Im not sure of its official title but its a full museum of horrors and nothing else . (I think it may be called the London Dungeon) If my memory serves me right its very near London bridge (just a few mins walk).
    It goes thru horror period of london / england thru the ages with wax works / recreated of scenes with audio etc etc (black plague, yorkshire ripper etc etc) and has a ride thing toward the end (kinda like a ghost train sorta job) I was there twice but it was a good few years ago - i think there may also be an acted out play thing as well that was rather good. It would be very rare for me to visit an attraction twice but i did that one.

http://www.thedungeons.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

We went in July with 14 and 12 year olds.
    They loved the Science museum also Convent Garden, going around on The tube, quite liked the Museum of childhood in Bethnal Green and the London aquarium.
    Liked seeing Big Ben and Westminster.
    We didn't do the London eye.
    The biggest hit was Madame Tussauds though, it was really good, especially the Chamber live and Spirit of London ride.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I'm sure any 12 year old boy would love The London Dungeon

Edit: oops, beaten to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

just back from the trip. He loved Madame Tussauds (especially chamber of horrors), London Eye and Science museum. Going on the tubes and underground tunnels was fun. Arsnel stadium also good. time ran out. thanks for all the suggestions.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

I went to London with my son 12 and daughter 9 this year...after alot of pleading my daughter convinced the 2 lads to bring her to Mary Poppins... it was a great night from start to finish, bite to eat , show , bicycle taxi after , my son or myself would not have been keen before hand but don't knock it til you try it !!

Advertisement