Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q+A - Oct 19th - 3 Rooms - New Venue

Options
  • 07-10-2007 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Q+A (Queer & Alternative) is a big big gay night in Dublin, Ireland - with super cool tunes and lashings of surprises. The next night which will happen in a new bigger venue - The Vaults behind Connolly station (last Luas stop) on Friday 19th of October 2007

The new venue boasts three bars and three rooms, each with a different vibe going on...

1/ An Indie Room - with Rock, Indie and Alternative Music

2/ A Sindy Room - With pop, funky disco, and retro tunes (hosted by DJ Paddy Fagan)

3/ A Secret Room - A room that will wow you visually. Lit entirely with neon lighting, it will feature art from artists like Will St. Leger, who will be doing glow-in-the-dark stencilling on the night, while DJing early electro and art-house music.

The Secret room will also host a PJ Harvey VS. Roisin Murphy DJ Set @ 12.30

TICKETS
    There are three ways to buy tickets for Q+A
    Tickets bought in advance work out cheaper than buying on the night and prevent you from queuing.

1/ Centre Stage Cafe - Parliament Street
    Centre Stage opens late every Fri and Sat night - they have Q+A Q-Jump tickets on sale.
    Price = 10 euro.

2/ Whelans Ticket Office (Wav Tickets)
    You can book tickets by phone 1890 200 078
    or call into WaV Ticket Box, Camden Row, Dublin 2 (behind Whelans) They open until 8pm most evenings.
    Price = 10 euro (plus their booking fee which is 1.50)

3/ Buy tickets at the door of Q+A
    You can pay as normal at the door of the Vaults on October 19th.
    The price on the door is 12 euro

TRANSPORT
    The Vaults venue is located at the beginning of the IFSC just behind Connolly Station. It is just a 4 minute walk from O'Connell Street.
    For those who don't fancy walking, the Luas runs up to 1am on Friday nights and stops right beside the Vaults.

COMPETITIONS
    Q+A is continuing the tradition of great prizes and competitions on the night.
    The Sindy room will be giving away copies of the new Sugababes album while The Indie room has tons of prizes to satisfy any fan of alternative music, including new albums from Foo Fighters, PJ Harvey, Roisin Murphy and DVDs from Neil Young and REM.

For more info visit the website www.queerandalternative.com
    Or join us on bebo or facebook!

GCN-AD-Oct07-final-low-res.jpg

QA-Plan.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Oh, sounds good.

Didn't like it in the TBMC.. don't think it occupied that big empty space very well. Felt I was hanging out in a shed or something, as opposed to being at any sort of gig.

This looks more interesting. Attendance +1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Attendance++

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

SOunds great! I love Paddy Fagan's set in Spice on Saturday nights, so will be in there methinks (I'll leave the gay emos to mooch in the main space).

Will St Leger thing sounds interesting too.

God, hope this is not like Spice, and overrun with straights!!!!! (although having Queer in the title might be a hint).

I'm bumping this to see if anyone is interested in meeting up for a few drinks before Q&A, say in GUBU or TFL. If there is enough interest we could get a mini-group together.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭JonT

In GUBU? Eh... you might find you have a problem there. Hasn't GUBU been closed for a couple months?

• Advertisement

My woeful lack of knowledge of the Dublin gay scene has been 'outed'.

Nevertheless, I'm sure* theres still the Dragon, the George and Yellow. You can also put your suggestions on the back of a postcard and one of our secretarial staff will pass them on to the LGB boards.ie management.

*Okay, maybe not that sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Bah.. I won't be in town for this afterall :'(

Heading home to Donegal for the weekend instead. Which I'm sure will be just as much fun. The gay scene up there is really rocking this time of year*

*may not be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Q&A, Yay! My first time, it better be good.

This secret room sounds disconcertingly vague.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Bad, Swiss, bad. Go to chamber 56H for re-edugaytion immediately ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

swiss wrote: »
    My woeful lack of knowledge of the Dublin gay scene has been 'outed'.

Nevertheless, I'm sure* theres still the Dragon, the George and Yellow. You can also put your suggestions on the back of a postcard and one of our secretarial staff will pass them on to the LGB boards.ie management.

*Okay, maybe not that sure.

lol, Yellow has been gone even longer than Gubu ;P
    Its only the Front lounge, Dragon, the George which are gay 7 days a week, then there's a few others which have gay nights ;)

• Advertisement

What did y'all think. Thought it was quite good but don't think the organisers thought there'd be as many attending. The queues at the bar were ridiculous.

The music was a bit of a mixed bag I suppose. Some great stuff, some not so great.

Not a bad night, though the music as Marshy mentioned was a mixed bag. Still, I suppose that was the idea of having three rooms, so you could wander into another one if the music wasn't to your liking in the first one.

Very much meh though, I've had some brilliant nights in Q&A, this wasn't one of them unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

I arrived there just before 1am has had only just flown back from London. Was looking forward to it and all seemed good when I get there. The different music rooms were really cool. And I also liked the way the place wasn't too crammed. So then it came to get a drink and I realised why the place didn't seem too crammed...........there must have been 100 people queuing for drinks!!!! I spend a full 30 mins trying in f$cking vain to get myself a drink but alas after half an hour, I was still not at the bar so I left.

Waste of money!!!! Could have been a great night had there been enough barstaff!!!

highdef wrote: »
    So then it came to get a drink and I realised why the place didn't seem too crammed...........there must have been 100 people queuing for drinks!!!! I spend a full 30 mins trying in f$cking vain to get myself a drink but alas after half an hour, I was still not at the bar so I left.

Waste of money!!!! Could have been a great night had there been enough barstaff!!!
    Yeah that was so annoying, I gave up after one drink.

€12 was pretty steep and the drinks weren't cheap either.

Advertisement