Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine flush?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Unless you think you have a real need to use cleaners - dont!

They can cause more problems than they solve, loosening up deposits can be dangerous they can lodge in narrow oilways in the head.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

I've read plenty of discussions about them and the opinions of people who I would rate are always to leave them alone, that they would be too abrasive and only if it's a car you don't care about anyway or if whatever engine issues you have can't be made any worse.

I have mentioned here before, use of engine oil for made for diesel engines in your petrol engine for around 1000 miles or so as a milder alternative for engines where the oil changes have been missed or servicing has generally been neglected. I wouldn't recommend this had I not already done this on several engines myself with no issues, and several other people I know have done this too, and years have gone by since. Also, on stripping engines, were found to be in remarkably good condition.

Over 130,000 miles on this engine at the time, which had been "flushed" twice with in its lifetime with the diesel engine oil method.
    t16head04.jpg
    As you can see, the oil remains a golden brown colour (in it at the time was normal 10w40 semi-synth oil designed for petrol engines) and it is actually due a change there at about 6,000 miles. It is more than a year later now and the engine is still going strong.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Advertisement