Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing primary schools in galway

Options
  • 07-10-2007 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Im looking for some advice on choosing a primary school for my daughter whos only 15 months.Ive been told I need to get on lists now but don't know where to start or which schools to choose.Im living in Oughterard,co.galway but may be moving closer to the city.I would appreciate any help anyone can give me :confused::)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Start by deciding where you'll be living (if you can). Then look at the school or two that are nearest. Unless you have a specific preference (for Educate Together or Gaelscoil for example), there's no point dragging kids past perfectly good primary schools to go to one further away. Why not put her name down for the local school in Oughterard? Especially since you haven't decided to move yet and you might decide not to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

go see your local school, ask to see their enrolment policy and see if you need to register this early - for most parish schools you don't. If you want to go to an et or gaelscoil check to see if you need to register now. Decide what type of school you are interested in and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 oranmoregal

If you are interested in Educate Together (there's one near Westside/Newcastle area) they have a huge long waiting list, so you'd need to get on that quickly! more info on them can be found at www.educatetogether.ie.
    We looked into that for our oldest daughter and they were trying to start one in Roscam (we're in Oranmore) and it never happened, so we visited three schools locally before making up our minds. Depends so much on whether you stay put or move into town though!

Advertisement