Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

switching from dial-up to o2 usb broadband

Options
  • 07-10-2007 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭

Hi
    Couldn't see anything on the boards pages about this.

I just got myself a o2 usb modem. In my area, people are able to get speeds of 400kbps with o2. I'm stuck on 53.6 all the time!

The network conection refers to itself as dial up, which I'm guessing is not right. As the title suggests, my laptop was set up with dial up, up to now.

The HUAWEI modem is set to default but I'm wondering is there something set wrong that i'm only limited to dial up.

I'm not very technicaly minded so sorry if the above is not too clear.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If you set it to 3g only and then try again you might get better speeds. Give that a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

ALL GSM, GPRS, EDGE, 3G, HSPDA, HSUPA (Mobile Phone data) are indeed simply different speeds of dialup. In Linux since they don't have the fancy Windows drivers they just use the raw USB device as a USB / serial adaptor and dialup.
    Even the Windows driver has a phone number in it.

It sounds like you can only receive a GSM not 3G signal and you have on GPRS speed.
    2G / GSM Mobile Phone speeds
    GSM 14.4 or 28.8kps
    GPRS about 50k
    EDGE up to 250k

Then 3G/UMTS/W-CDMA speeds
    3G 384k
    HSDPA up to 1800k, 3600, 5400, 7200 or 14400 depending on system, shared among ALL users of a sector.
    HSUPA same as HSDPA, but better upload (HSDPA may be less than 100k upload).

Analogue Dialup 19Kbps to 56kbps
    ISDN 64K or 128K error free, almost equivalent to 200k of analogue when compression running. Instant connection and lowish latency. 2Ch is Better than most Mobile Phone modem (So called USB Broadband) on average.

The OECD does not count 3G mobile Internet as "broadband". Though the peak speed can be Broadband, the average performance is "narrowband" and has bad latency.

Advertisement