Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Know better than the devs of utorrent do ya?

Options
  • 07-10-2007 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

I'm having lots of trouble downloading open source software by bittorrent which was my preferred method before I got my new dell PC with Windows Vista Premium, now running Ultimate edition. I had originally read that the Vista Premium edition had trouble accepting connections and that using Ultimate would fix the problem. I heard wrong!

A few days after each reinstall (5 and counting) my speed drastically drops to 10kbps per torrent or something and this is on a 3Mbps sdsl line that I do a speedtest online with alot and everything appears to be fine with. I have no such problem with other application that use my broadband.

I have no NAT errors and the ports check out fine within utorrent I've spoken to the people in the utorrent IRC channel and posted on their forums but nobody seems to be able to help me. I've tried other torrent clients and it doesn't make a difference.

Even when I test it with my firewall off still - no dice.

I never had this problem with the same connection on Windows XP on my old laptop.

What's really strange is that utorrent tells me everything is going fine with these crappy speeds and when I reinstall everything really is fine an hour later and I'm getting full whack out of my connection utorrent still tells me the exact same thing and the only change it indicates is the speed. I can always depend on everything being messed up again no later than a week or so later.

In case it was a program I had installed after utorrent I tried setting restore points after everything I installed thinking they would be there for good but when I went back to restore the system they had all been replaced by automatic restore points that were set. Perhaps there's a way to keep these restore points I set.

I'm considering going back to XP or even trying freebsd or unbuntu if I can find a way to run WoW on those OS but I'd rather stay with Vista on this machine for the monopoly it will have over current and upcoming software - love it or hate it.

I don't want to utter the words 'yes you did tell me so, I should have bought a mac'!

Please help me help you help me fix meh intraweb! :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

I'm having lots of trouble downloading open source software by bittorrent which was my preferred method before I got my new dell PC with Windows Vista Premium, now running Ultimate edition. I had originally read that the Vista Premium edition had trouble accepting connections and that using Ultimate would fix the problem. I heard wrong!

A few days after each reinstall (5 and counting) my speed drastically drops to 10kbps per torrent or something and this is on a 3Mbps sdsl line that I do a speedtest online with alot and everything appears to be fine with. I have no such problem with other application that use my broadband.

I have no NAT errors and the ports check out fine within utorrent I've spoken to the people in the utorrent IRC channel and posted on their forums but nobody seems to be able to help me. I've tried other torrent clients and it doesn't make a difference.

Even when I test it with my firewall off still - no dice.

I never had this problem with the same connection on Windows XP on my old laptop.

What's really strange is that utorrent tells me everything is going fine with these crappy speeds and when I reinstall everything really is fine an hour later and I'm getting full whack out of my connection utorrent still tells me the exact same thing and the only change it indicates is the speed. I can always depend on everything being messed up again no later than a week or so later.

In case it was a program I had installed after utorrent I tried setting restore points after everything I installed thinking they would be there for good but when I went back to restore the system they had all been replaced by automatic restore points that were set. Perhaps there's a way to keep these restore points I set.

I'm considering going back to XP or even trying freebsd or unbuntu if I can find a way to run WoW on those OS but I'd rather stay with Vista on this machine for the monopoly it will have over current and upcoming software - love it or hate it.

I don't want to utter the words 'yes you did tell me so, I should have bought a mac'!

Please help me help you help me fix meh intraweb! :(

What sort of apps are you running? Ubuntu could use Wine to run some windows apps. I have run many windows apps under it.

One small question: In the Utorrent client, have you made sure the download bandwidth is set to unlimited and not 2K or something similar? Also, what happens if you open the Utorrent client and then try telnetting to the port it is using, do you at least get a connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 warriorpoetic

I mainly use my PC for WoW and I discovered yesterday it can be run under WINE with a little effort woot! I have the beta of the latest verion of the distro downloaded but it was suggested to me that I should wait for the full version to be released on the 18th. Once I confirm with the Live CD I'm able to connect to their forums on the web and access their IRC channel for suppport I'm going to get rid of Windows completely and go penguin for the first time. Apparently WoW runs more smoothly on ubuntu because their is a lesser drain on resources.

C:\Users\warriorpoetic>telnet 34305
    Connecting To 34305...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect
    failed

...even though utorrent tells me the port is fine in app with their checker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

You need to specify a host in your telnet e.g telnet 127.0.0.1 %port% would telnet on the port to the localhost. You should try this when Utorrent is open and see if it responds. If it does you can go from there.

With utorrent running and actively downloading:

C:\Users\warriorpoetic>telnet 127.0.0.1 6885
    Connecting To 127.0.0.1...Could not open connection to the host, on port 6885: Connect failed

C:\Users\warriorpoetic>telnet myip 6885
    Connecting To myip...Could not open connection to the host, on port 6885: Connect failed

the results are the same whether utorrent is running or not.

I know the the localhost and my IP are both addresses for my box but if for some reason this test required me try to telnet to the port to one of the IPs and not the the other I did both.

I should mention that I can get high speeds when downloading some linux distros to test the connection and with every other torrent, from a variety of different search engines and trackers selected at random to test I get these bs speeds of ~10kbps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I'm using vista ultimate and utorrent and get good speeds once there is enough seeders. Sorry I have nothing to add that would help you. Just figured I would let you know that vista + utorrent combo can work fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Easy to way if you want to change : http://goodbye-microsoft.com/

tuxy wrote:
    I'm using vista ultimate and utorrent and get good speeds once there is enough seeders. Sorry I have nothing to add that would help you. Just figured I would let you know that vista + utorrent combo can work fine.

Yeah but it's happening even when there is a great seeder to leecher ratio. I'm sure it can work fine it's just me! Thanks for your contribution :D
    bushy... wrote:
    Easy to way if you want to change : http://goodbye-microsoft.com/

Yeah I'll try Debian and Gentoo eventually when I find my feet with ubuntu. I'm typing this from the Live CD and even running from a disk drive it's much faster than windows but I've yet to try utorrent.

I'd still like to know what the problem is with Vista though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I find torrents poxy-slow at the best of times... I {heart} heanet for most of my opensource software needs... they've got a sourceforge mirror too which is awesome... maxes out my 4mb connection all the way. ;)

Advertisement