Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fireworks

• 07-10-2007 10:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭

That time of the year again. Three weeks to go still and already these feckless eejits are shooting fireworks like you can't believe. 11am on a Sunday. What the hell is wrong with kids nowadays?

Worse even - WHAT THE BLOODY HELL IS WRONG WITH PARENTS NOWADAYS?

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Take comfort in the fact that a few will lose their fingers or possibly their hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Ready Anti Air defense systems....Gats with blacks cats!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

T-Maxx wrote:
    That time of the year again. Three weeks to go still and already these feckless eejits are shooting fireworks like you can't believe. 11am on a Sunday. What the hell is wrong with kids nowadays?

Worse even - WHAT THE BLOODY HELL IS WRONG WITH PARENTS NOWADAYS?

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    It is the Firemen & the Gardaí that I feel sorry for at this time of the year. Clearing up the mess that these kids cause is no mean feat.

As for the parents - I wholeheartedly agree. I'm all for kids getting out in the fresh air instead of being glued to the telly. But out getting fresh air on their bike or kicking ball - not setting off miniature explosive devices. And let's face it - it is not 12 & 14 year-olds driving up to the Naul Road Market/Jonesboro to buy them.
    micmclo wrote:
    Take comfort in the fact that a few will lose their fingers or possibly their hands.
    Way OTT. I don't think that anyone would rest easier on a Sunday morning at the thought of some kid being maimed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

micmclo wrote:

A bit harsh.:(

My friend's son almost lost his fingers setting off a firework, not because he was doing anything dumb or anti-social but because the illegal fireworks dumped on the Irish market are unsafe and went off immediately upon lighting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭dsane1

maybe im getting old but its all intimidation from these little thugs now.Its no longer innocent fun.Gardai seem powerless to deal with it so they let them run riot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Haven't heard so much as a pop myself.

It's not as bad as it used to be IMO. I can remember spending every single penny I had on bangers one year and letting them off.

If brainiac has taught us anything, it's that all men are boys and all boys like seeing things explode. It's when they fire them at people or otherwise cause hassle with them that we have a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Don't think it's been as bad this year as previous years in my area anyway, but it's early yet. Not looking forward to it, dog ends up shaking like a leaf in the corner barking non stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

This is an excerpt from a newspaper article dated 10th October 2006:

€10,000 fines in new firework crackdown

PEOPLE caught with fireworks and without a licence could face hefty fines of up to €10,000, the Minister for Justice warned yesterday.

Launching a new public awareness campaign for Hallowe'en, Mr McDowell reminded any would-be pyrotechnicians of the new offences and penalties in the Criminal Justice Act, 2006.

It is now an offence to possess a firework with intent to sell or supply without a licence. It is also an offence to throw a lit firework at a person or property and to light an unlicenced firework.

Penalties have leaped dramatically under the new legislation. Previously, throwing a firework was punishable by a fine of up to IR£5 (€6), while the importation of fireworks without a licence attracted a fine of just IR£100 (€127).

Anyone caught breaking the new laws can be fined up to €10,000, face five years imprisonment or both. A garda crackdown on fireworks, Operation Tombola, was launched on September 25.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Yep sick of it already
    Someone was throwing them into my back garden last night specifically to annoy my dogs.
    One of them hit my oldest little terrier and thank god she moved quick is all I can say. They are demented with them.

I cannot see where they are coming from - the lane at the back of the house is blocked off so it has to be someone on my road.

If I catch them loosing fingers will be the least of their worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

seamus wrote:
    Haven't heard so much as a pop myself.

It's not as bad as it used to be IMO. I can remember spending every single penny I had on bangers one year and letting them off.

If brainiac has taught us anything, it's that all men are boys and all boys like seeing things explode. It's when they fire them at people or otherwise cause hassle with them that we have a problem.
    I agree we're into october now and its only beginnig only a couple of years back august wasnt done before the barrage began

Use to buy them when i was younger but realised its a waste of money seeing it going up in smoke

Plus theyre pretty boring after a while they all prettymuch do the same thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Hagar wrote: »
    A bit harsh.:(

My friend's son almost lost his fingers setting off a firework, not because he was doing anything dumb or anti-social but because the illegal fireworks dumped on the Irish market are unsafe and went off immediately upon lighting.

Parents know well that these are illegal, but the legal fireworks sold in the Uk and up North are almost as dangerous as the illegal ones that get driven in here. Those who buy them for their children or knowingly allow them to use them are largely responsible for the consequences.

I have lived in Cork city and country for over 5 years, and the situation is not half as bad down here, so I am guessing that the problem is that the proximity to the border, which would suggest to me that most of the fireworks being used up your way are legal ones bought across the border, though yes, there are many being sold on the black market.

Much of Dublin becomes like Beirut around this time of the year, and yes, it is illegal, and yes it is anti-social - though more on the nuisance level. Having said that, there were quite a number of homes set on fire by careless use of fireworks in my area over the years - intentionally and deliberately so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

I have moved here from UK about 18mths ago. Where I grew up there was a paper shop that sold fireworks every year. One time a new owner took over and didn't sell them. We asked why and he said he was a ambulance driver before he retired and baught the shop. He said if you saw the injuries from fireworks you would think twice about letting them off.

Also I notice here you don't have professional firework displays as much as the UK, probably because you don't celebrate Nov 5th. I lived on the south coast for a few years and every week during the summer they had a display on a barge moored in the bay, it looked lovely when they refelected on the water. thing was they stopped for a year when a firework went off into the crowd, they had to make sure the barge was far enough out after that.

I actually like professional displays, and I am a avid braniac! LOL

Another thing that makes me laugh is the fire station near us has a filed behind it, the kids always light a bonfire right behind it! Taking the pi55 a bit eh? !

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sellphone

Poor old dogs are going bananas already with the noise around me> I end up having to bring mine in, a collie and a basset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Shazzer2411

i know its really shockin how early they do be out

Advertisement