Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WW1 +2 sites france ...

Options
  • 07-10-2007 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this question. I'm traveling to France and Belguim next year to see the 1st and 2nd WW sites. I'm wondering if anyone has come across a travel guide dealing specifically with those area's.I know their covered on the web but I'd rather have a book as a reference. Actually searching I see the ww1 is covered well,probably because most of the war was situated in the one place,generally speaking. WW2 or the allied invasion was spread out somewhat,I know the beaches are probably spread over a 60 mile or so area,has anyone visited these sites? Apart from the graveyards,which I intend to visit, are the beaches now just beaches,or is there still traces of the invasion.Any pointers appreciated. I'll continue searching the web but a book or two would be ideal.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

dubtom wrote:
    Not sure if this is the correct forum for this question. I'm traveling to France and Belguim next year to see the 1st and 2nd WW sites. I'm wondering if anyone has come across a travel guide dealing specifically with those area's.I know their covered on the web but I'd rather have a book as a reference. Actually searching I see the ww1 is covered well,probably because most of the war was situated in the one place,generally speaking. WW2 or the allied invasion was spread out somewhat,I know the beaches are probably spread over a 60 mile or so area,has anyone visited these sites? Apart from the graveyards,which I intend to visit, are the beaches now just beaches,or is there still traces of the invasion.Any pointers appreciated. I'll continue searching the web but a book or two would be ideal.

take a look at www.CWGC.org they do a Michelin road Atlas with all the cemetries and memorials listed which I believe is useful for route planning.

I would suggest a visit to Arras in Northern france and the Vimy Ridge memorial and Ypres in Belgium. Around Ypres there are several cemetries, Memorials and Museums.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

For WWI sites is the best to go to France and Belgium as F Fred says.

WWII in France is down to the beaches really, Normandy is amazing experience, was there 2years ago with some of the veterans.
    Time has stopped there, bunkers, trenches and other fortifications are still on places, museums on every step apart from beautiful countryside. And those graveyards, this is a must for everyone who travells to Normandy. You'd look at the war through different eyes afterwards. Names of almost every european nationality are engraved on the toombstones American, British, German...
    Amazing trip I had...

Oh yea, there's the link for Military Heritage Tours which were responsible for it:
    http://www.militaryheritagetours.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Thanks for the replies. I'll check out those sites. I actually passed through Normandy 3 weeks ago on the way to spain but didn't have time to stop. Saw a few signs for the normandy beaches and a musuem called dead mans corner which I was sickened I couldn't stop and have a look at.Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

dubtom wrote: »

Unless you are going for 6 months or so you had better pick a location to visit. The Somme battlefield for instance, contained within a very small area, would take up a month of two to explore comprehensively. Not to be missed- Thiepval Memorial, Vimy Ridge Memorial (try and get into the tunnels on a guided tour), Lochnagar Crater, The Irish Memorial Cross at Guillemont, Newfoundland Memorial Park. If you get to Ypres- less than two hours drive from the Somme you have the Menin Gate, Tyne Cot Cemetery, Irish Memorial Cross at Wytschaete, the Island of Ireland Peace Park at Mesen. Try and visit the church in Mesen, William the Conqueor's Mother in Law is buried in the crypt and there's a bell in the tower donated by us. Visit the German Cemetery at Langemark and the British at Poelkapelle- burial place of John Condon.

The Normandy invasion beaches all have a museum each. The Atlantic Wall Museum in Ouistreham is very good. In addition you have the Airborne museums at Pegasus Bridge (British) and St Mere Eglise (American). Most beaches have a few bunkers left and part of the Mulberry harbour is still visible at Arromanches. There's a Liberation Museum in Bayeux and don't miss the Bayeux Tapestry while you are there.

Major & Mrs Holt's Battlefield Guides are a good place to start.

http://www.guide-books.co.uk/

Some Normandy Photos

http://s95.photobucket.com/albums/l151/md24124549/Normandy%20Tour%202006/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

A good starting point is Flanders Fields museum in Ieper. Definitly have to go to Mesen ( Messines ) and Loker. A series of steep hills has the current road going over it, these weren't always there..Messines Ridge was a ridge until tons of explosives turned it into hills. One you have to visit as well for an impression is the "medieval" town square of Ieper, take it in and then look at the top of the buildings and see if you spot something.

As for WWII obviously Normandy but one to go and see as well is Bastonge. In what was probably Nazi Germany last big offensive some of WWII best combat troops faced eachother in the vicinity of this little Ardennes town. Von Rundstedt and Patton's tankers, Waffen SS infantry ( not to be fully confused with the regular SS, they were to a large extent something the likes of a Nazi foreign legion ) and the 101st and 506th American Airborne

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

As for WWII obviously Normandy but one to go and see as well is Bastonge. In what was probably Nazi Germany last big offensive some of WWII best combat troops faced eachother in the vicinity of this little Ardennes town. Von Rundstedt and Patton's tankers, Waffen SS infantry ( not to be fully confused with the regular SS, they were to a large extent something the likes of a Nazi foreign legion ) and the 101st and 506th American Airborne
    They, Normandy and Bastonge would really intrest me and i hope to vist both sometime in the near future......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Wow great stuff,thanks. I had intended to try and see some sites of both wars in one trip.I really think, even judging by the info posted here,that it wouldn't really be possible.Seeing as it's only a week trip (the first one anyway)I think I'll concentrate on Normandy first, if anything because it's a smaller area to cover. I'll leave WW1 for the summer hols:cool:

Advertisement