Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

how is a 1.4 / 1.3 so powerful ?

Options
  • 08-10-2007 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

hi,

dont know alot about cars, but looking at the Golf GT its 1.4 right? how is it like 170bhp? also whats the astra sport 1.3l like? it produces about 90bhp ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Because it has a supercharger and turbocharger.

Re the 1.3 Astra, it is laughable what cars get badged as being "sport" models. At this stage I'm thinking a lot of manufacturers seem to add the "sport" moniker to some of their crappy models in a sort of ironic way.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭easyontheeye

so 90bhp is nothing special for a 1,3 ? i think its diesal, im not sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

If don't know much about cars why do you care?

because im looking at getting a new one and these caught my eye...anyway whats wrong asking a question :mad:

p.s. if your just gonna post useless reply , dont post at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

If it's a 1.3 diesel astra, then it'll be the cdti turbodiesel model. Torque is the more meaningful figure to look at when checking the power of a diesel engined car. I'm sure it's a capable car, but you couldn't call it sporty.

If you are thinking of buying either car, you should test drive them both. They'll be nothing like each other to drive I reckon. Without ever having driven the 1.4GT golf, I can be pretty confident it'll drive nothing like a Golf GTi 2.0 litre turbo that maybe was running less boost to give it 30ish horsepower less than standard. What I mean is - bhp figures are one thing, but the driving is another thing. Two similarly sized cars could have the same horsepower figures and be completely different in their power delivery and characteristics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

90bhp from a 1.3 is probably about normal.
    My 1.2 micra was 75bhp
    My 1.5 Civic was 105bhp

But could be worse, my GF's beetle is 2ltr and i think 115bhp.

90bhp from an astra size car is grand for most peoples needs, probably nippy at low speeds. But dont expect to be racing cars at the lights;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,283 ✭✭✭✭Esel

BostonB wrote:
    If don't know much about cars why do you care?
    What a twattish post!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

emmm ...hello?

90 bhp out of a 1.3 DIESEL is pretty damn good !

Not so long ago your standard 1.9 /2.0 diesel could just about get that, if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

peasant wrote:
    emmm ...hello?

Not so long ago your standard 1.9 /2.0 diesel could just about get that, if at all.

My 1st car a 2.0d Nissan Bluebird had around 75 bhp.

/Showing my age now.

peasant wrote:
    emmm ...hello?

im assuming for its weight it would be nippy enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

And the Mercedes-Benz 200D (W123 - produced until '85) managed just 60BHP from a 2 liter engine!

0-100km/h in about half a minute :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

1.3 Glanza 193BHP

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

iRock wrote:
    1.3 Glanza 193BHP

Not out of the factory tho'

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

iRock wrote:
    1.3 Glanza 193BHP

1.3 Mazda RX-8 231BHP

Not a diesel either. Doesn't even have a turbo :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

iRock wrote:
    1.3 Glanza 193BHP

but they look terrible and sound even worse.

When I was talking with a VW dealer they told me they had alot of orders for the 1.4GT (170) which were subsequently cancelled due to the potential buyers not being able to get reasonable insurance.

I considered it as a much cheaper alternative to the GTi, after about 20 seconds it was clearly obvious why it wasn't even an option !!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I've driven an '04 opel combo and it's silly slow.

What's the point of having 90bhp if it's at 6,500rpm.

5 door Sport Micra is my favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

I've a 1.3 CDTi astra so can give some opinion.
    IrishRover wrote:
    Re the 1.3 Astra, it is laughable what cars get badged as being "sport" models. At this stage I'm thinking a lot of manufacturers seem to add the "sport" moniker to some of their crappy models in a sort of ironic way.

You'r right in the 1.3 astra isn't a sporty car performance wise, the sport refers to the body shape. The proper name is the sport hatch AFAIK.
    Senna wrote:
    90bhp from a 1.3 is probably about normal.
    My 1.2 micra was 75bhp
    My 1.5 Civic was 105bhp

But could be worse, my GF's beetle is 2ltr and i think 115bhp.

Those cars are petrol thou... 90bhp out of a 1.3 diesel a few years ago would have been laughed at!
    Senna wrote:
    90bhp from an astra size car is grand for most peoples needs, probably nippy at low speeds. But dont expect to be racing cars at the lights;)
    Its very nippy at low speeds - its actually the exact same speed as the 1.6 petrol astra from 40-80 kmph because of the torque. But no it won't leaving anybigger cars sitting from the lights.

cantdecide wrote:
    I've driven an '04 opel combo and it's silly slow.

What's the point of having 90bhp if it's at 6,500rpm.
    I don't think the currrent 1.3 CDTi was available in '04?
    But surely you know you're wasting your time rev'in a 1.3 diesel to 65000rpm? Its all over by approx 3500rpm. Change up early to get the torque;)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you nothing about cars, have you considered an Audi A3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

unkel wrote:
    1.3 Mazda RX-8 231BHP

Its a Wankel though, which kinda makes a difference!

As for a 1.3 diesel producing 90 bhp, a 1.4 Petrol Astra also has 90 bhp, so the diesel has a higher power per litre rating than the petrol!

90 bhp from a 1.3 diesel isn't all that good anymore, BMW can get 204 bhp from a 2 litre diesel(123d) after all! And Mercedes will soon manage 204 bhp from a 2.1(well its called a 2.2 but 2148 cc is closer to a 2.1 unless Suttgart Maths is somehow different from the Maths the rest of the world practices!) litre diesel too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

I think manufacturers managed to increase bhp in small engined cars due to multi-point fuel injection and advance in ecu and valve technology . I know the 1.6litre 16v series 2 nissan primera produced more bhp then its earlier 2litre version . We take 16v minimum for granted nearly these days !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

unkel wrote:
    1.3 Mazda RX-8 231BHP

And has the fuel consumption of a 2.6 litre 4-stroke! Primary benefit of a wankel is size (and therefore weight), but when it comes to getting power out of fuel it's no better.
    E92 wrote:
    BMW can get 204 bhp from a 2 litre diesel(123d) after all! And Mercedes will soon manage 204 bhp from a 2.1
    Bear in mind you can't buy either of these yet. As unkel would say "promises, promises".

AFAIK, the Fiat 1.3 in the Astra is more powerful than a typical diesel of as it has a pertrol-esque redline (spin faster = burn more fuel = get more power).

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Those cars are petrol thou... 90bhp out of a 1.3 diesel a few years ago would have been laughed at!

How so? Going by others mentioned above it would have been a very good output for a 1.3 diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

JHMEG wrote:
    Bear in mind you can't buy either of these yet. As unkel would say "promises, promises".

The BMW is already on sale(not in Ireland, admittedly, but nevertheless on sale).

In fact the 123d has been on sale for a few months in Germany now. It will shortly be available for us too.

And the Merc engine will soon be entering production for those Bluetec Hybrids on sale early next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

actually what do insurance companies quote for the mazda, seeing as its a 1.3, I know its a rotary and all........... but......

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

woop wrote:
    actually what do insurance companies quote for the mazda, seeing as its a 1.3, I know its a rotary and all........... but......

The engine cc wouldnt be a big factor in the quote. As with the 1.4 Golf gt they will quote based on the BHP I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

if you think the engine cc is the only thing considered in an insurance quote, you'd be sorely mistaken

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Churchy wrote:
    My 1st car a 2.0d Nissan Bluebird had around 75 bhp.

/Showing my age now.

My current car (Nissan Almera 2.0d) has a hefty 73 BHP :cool:

Now thats a reason to pay 539 euro a year in road tax!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Stekelly wrote:
    The engine cc wouldnt be a big factor in the quote. As with the 1.4 Golf gt they will quote based on the BHP I'd imagine.

Funny enough, they still base a lot on cc. Last year a customer of mine traded in a 97-ish Corolla 2.0D (non turbo around 68bhp worth around €2.5k) for a new Corolla 1.4 D-4D (90bhp €24k)

He got refunded €100 by his insurance company. How insane is that!

Similar thing happened last week, customer traded in a €25k 2.7 4X4 for a €78k 3.0 4X4 and got a small amount of money back. changed from a German to Japanese make.
    This is even more strange! (the insurance, not getting out of a merc)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

colm_mcm wrote:
    Funny enough, they still base a lot on cc. Last year a customer of mine traded in a 97-ish Corolla 2.0D (non turbo around 68bhp worth around €2.5k) for a new Corolla 1.4 D-4D (90bhp €24k)

He got refunded €100 by his insurance company. How insane is that!

This might be due to the latter being safer when in a crash? - Less likely to result in high cost personal injuries?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

colm_mcm wrote:
    If you nothing about cars, have you considered an Audi A3?

If there was a prize for post of the year, that has got to be a contender:)

The charade gtti was bloody nuts - .9 ltr and 0-60 in 7 secs, while sounding like a porsche - probably the most overlooked hero car ever...

If i remember correctly, the delta s4 employed the same approach - supercharger and turbo - 1.7ltr and good for 600bhp

So while vw did produce an impressive little engine, they have a bit of work to do to match a 20 year old italian design

Advertisement