Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

nct failed on lambda emissions.. whats this??

Options
  • 08-10-2007 1:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi, i failed my NCT last time cause the lambda emissions were too high or something.. i havent a clue about this stuff..
    But i am gettin my car serviiced tmrw, and i said it to the mechanic (my dads friend) the other day about this, and he seemed to make out that it wasnt upto him to fix that with a service..

Is he right?? Thanks.. need some help..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

It wouldn't be part of a standard service really so any repairs done would be charged for as extras. The lambda sensor is tied into the engine management to keep the toxins in the exhaust gases down, and occasionally they do fail, resulting in less control over the gases. It's a simple enough thing to change but you want to get a garage with a CO exhaust probe so they can check if it's actually the sensor causing the problem or something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

What Make Of Car Is It, And What Were The N.c.t Readings, Co, Lamba, And Hc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

If Lambda is high and everything else passes then the first thing to suspect is a hole in the exhaust. Ask the mechanic to have a look at the exhaust during the service, he may find a hole and be able to patch it. If he does not find any holes then it may be a more complicated fix which will need the exhaust gases analysed at a garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Cheese Princess

Had my NCT this morning and failed because of the emissions.
    At low idle the CO was 3.17%, it needs to be under 0.5%. At high idle it was 3.48% and should be under 0.3%. The lambda is 0.906 and should be between 0.97 and 1.03.

Does anyone know if this is a simple thing to fix and how much I should expect to pay for it?

Advertisement