Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Enslaved

• 08-10-2007 2:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

Has to be said, they're one of the few bands to come from the Norwegian Black Metal scene that still capture my attention and still release great albums. I'd consider them up there with Emperor, and that's not said lightly.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

enslaved are a quality band and benefit from the fact they incorporate folk/pagan/viking influences into their music and are not just straight up black metal.
    To be able to release albums of such quality like Isa and Ruun so far into their career after releasing classics like Eld etc already is testament to their talent.
    I saw them at Hellfest his summer and they were great, more so given they had to replace Mayhem in the lne up.
    really looking forward to the new album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Aye, I like Enslaved a lot. It took me a bit to get into Ruun but it turned out to be a class album in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭nonamemark

I love Enslaved, I only heard of them when they replaced Mayhem at Hellfest, Isa and Runn are mind blowing albums, I have Frost on my computer too, must give it a listen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I don't like these gggrrrrr aren't I really scary bands lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

MooseJam wrote:

OMG!!11one ur sooooooooooo rite

• Advertisement

how do you embed a youtube video in a post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Can't say that I'm much of a black metal fan at all, but I like Enslaved. Frost is a really good album, they were only teenagers when they released that album I think, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

MooseJam wrote:

That is a poor and ill-educated opinion which probably should have stayed in your head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

MooseJam wrote:

Why are you under the impression that the point of the music is supposed to be "gggrrrrr aren't I really scary"?

I'm sure you're refering to the vocals with the 'ggrrrr' part, so if you believe distorted vocals are supposedly scary, as opposed to clean vocals, does that logic apply to the instrumentation? It's like saying that distorted guitars supposed to be scary compared to clean guitars. Would you come to that same conclusion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

I like Enslaved.

• Advertisement

Why are you under the impression that the point of the music is supposed to be "gggrrrrr aren't I really scary"?

I'm sure you're refering to the vocals with the 'ggrrrr' part, so if you believe distorted vocals are supposedly scary, as opposed to clean vocals, does that logic apply to the instrumentation? It's like saying that distorted guitars supposed to be scary compared to clean guitars. Would you come to that same conclusion?

I'm just imagining thats the point, that the band are trying to portray themselves as scary or dark or evil, it's the very same way I would talk to a child if I was pretending to be a monster. As for distorted guitars well they can sound good unlike the vocals which both sound plain daft and scream I'm trying really hard to be a boogieman. Of course thats just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭nonamemark

I would say you're the one looking at this like a child, no offence but a childs reaction is "ughhhhh it's scary". The think with most black metal is that you need to look past all the "scary" stuff to the music, which tends to have many, many layers and yes, is hard to listen to but after a while the brilliance of it shows. Black metal tends to become a parody of itself sometimes (look at Immortal) Who was is that said when asked to describe black metal said it's like classical or opera, you have to practice to listen to it. Euronymous?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Never listened to them very often until after I seen them at Wacken, jebus they put on a live show, absolutely superb band entirely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Moosejam, whether or not you think distorted vocals sounds daft is besides the point. The fact is, it's just the same as distorted guitars in the musical sense, just like turning the gain up on your amp. It can add more dynamics and texture to a song, make it sound more agressive or heavier than if it had only clean vocals.

Nobody listens to Dave Vincent's (Morbid Angel) vocals and says to themselves "Yeah, he sounds really scary." It's simply not the point of the music in the first place. However, I can say with certainty that people could listen to Dave's vocals and say "Yeah, he sounds really heavy." That's the point right there, it's about a heavier, more intense vocal sound, not about being 'Scary' or something idiotic like that.

Nonamemark, I wouldn't exactly say that you have to 'practice' to listen to it, but I'd say it's an aquired taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i really really liek enslaved, probably my favourite band at the moment (according to last fm, they are ;) ).

i like the direction they've bee going, the old stuff like eld and the new stuff like isa or ruun are in contrast to each other, but listening to old and new stuff you can tell it's still the same band, Compared to emperor where anthems and prometheus are vastly diffferent stuff, But enslaved have the interesting progressive nature similar to that of emperor, that's one of the reasons why i love enslaved, they're progressive and interesting

I checked out morbid angel and they are pretty good it has to be said, enslaved in comparison are very poor, the vocals sound like someone is strangling a cat and the music is very tame, if they want to be heavy they should play some heavy music and get someone who can actually pull off distorted vocals ala Dave Vincent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Enslaved are a fantastic band, have to say i prefer their later more progressive output, loved them when they played here last year

MooseJam wrote:
    I checked out morbid angel and they are pretty good it has to be said, enslaved in comparison are very poor, the vocals sound like someone is strangling a cat and the music is very tame, if they want to be heavy they should play some heavy music and get someone who can actually pull off distorted vocals ala Dave Vincent.

Um, they're two entirely different styles. Black metal vocals are very different, intentionally so, to death metal vocals. Black metal tends to use thinner, more screeching vocals, as opposed to death metal's deep growls. The music is a subjective thing. It's not any real difference in terms of heaviness to Morbid Angel I would say, but it's very different in style and approach. I would consider it more textured and progressive. It's black metal, it's not death metal, so it sounds different, the two are hard to compare, but to call it "tame", after "I don't like these gggrrrrr aren't I really scary bands lol", is just silly, so do try to stop looking foolish.

Um, they're two entirely different styles. Black metal vocals are very different, intentionally so, to death metal vocals. Black metal tends to use thinner, more screeching vocals, as opposed to death metal's deep growls. The music is a subjective thing. It's not any real difference in terms of heaviness to Morbid Angel I would say, but it's very different in style and approach. I would consider it more textured and progressive. It's black metal, it's not death metal, so it sounds different, the two are hard to compare, but to call it "tame", after "I don't like these gggrrrrr aren't I really scary bands lol", is just silly, so do try to stop looking foolish.

well you learn something new every day, I don't know much about death metal or black metal though I'm sure thats obvious, I can give my impressions on it though and I could see myself liking death metal and not the screeching black metal. By the way theres nothing contradictory in "I don't like these gggrrrrr aren't I really scary bands lol" and calling the music tame, he is grrring and the music is pretty tame, it's no heavier than your average pop song. Maybe I'm coming across as very foolish but teh internet is anonymous ;)

MooseJam wrote:
    it's no heavier than your average pop song.

You are wrong.
    Maybe I'm coming across as very foolish

See the above quote for details.

• Advertisement

Ok i'll say no more, I know nothing about the subject

Advertisement