Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 BB - few questions

Options
  • 08-10-2007 2:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭

Most of this weekend I haven't been able to get a 3G or HSDPA signal - it was ok on saturday afternoon, but only getting the GPRS signal last night and tonight.

I'm in rural wicklow, between a village and a small town, but during the week I usually get between 1 and 3 bars of reception which alternates between 3G and HSDPA.

Is the signal affected by colder weather and fog or mist at all does anyone know?

Could it be because too many people are being covered by the mast I use at weekends?

Or could it be some downtime that O2 haven't notified me about?

And anyone know when the siteviewer.ie map is going to be updated

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

3g Cells BREATHE

Evidently the population with a 3g device rises in the cell at the weekend so it shrinks. I blame feckin schtooodents off the top of my head :p . It was dry all week and over the weekend was it not ??

You may need an outdoor aerial of some sort .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Thanks Sponge Bob. It's ok today, so the breathe theory stands up.

It also makes sense because sometimes if I go to do something bandwidth-heavy then the signal goes from UMTS to HSDPA.

It's just annoying that on the odd weekend I'll have to make do with GPRS.

I'd still like to know when the siteviewer map is going to be updated if anyone knows?!

because its O2 you should get EDGE ( between GPRS and UMTS) at about 170k or so , whats the modem ??? a Huawei E220 ??

it rarely says EDGE, but I have been in EDGE coverage when I've been on the train or bus to Dublin, so I'm guessing there's no EDGE coverage here in the sticks!

And yes it is a Huawei 220.

EDGE has not yet been universally rolled out by O2 ( its a "g upgrade to all 2g cells thats ongoing) , I only got it last week meself.

I would think it could well appear between now and christmas in your case.

Its extremely useful in rural areas given its range and building penetration compared to 3g .....and the fact that 2g does not Breathe :p

Frankly if you have problems with cell breathing now I can only see them getting worse going forward as more devices appear :(

• Advertisement

I see what you mean. Fingers crossed for edge coverage in that case...

I think if it happens again I might give O2 a call and have a bit of a whinge and then they might tell me when coverage will be improved in my area

Advertisement