Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Shower Woes

Options
  • 08-10-2007 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All, Pulled cord on my ceiling switch last night and no red light came on either the ceiling switch or the shower. Checked the trip and its fine so which is more likely, the ceiling switch needs replacing or the trip in the box as I can replace the ceiling switch myself but need a leccy for the trip, anyone have any experiences of same?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Hi TheDriver,

It can happen that switches burn out, sometimes it happens when 10sq and not 6sq cable should have been used, sometimes because of continuous use and sometimes the electrical shower in question just requires bigger cable, however sometimes it happens because the connection at the switch was bad to begin with. The strands on the cable could have been twisted tight at the connection reducing the current carrying capacity of the cable and causing a hot spot at the connection and melting the contacts of the switch.

If the switch light is not coming on along with the shower not turning on, and the MCB or RCBO (trip switch) feeding the shower feels good (try moving it up and down looking for a fluid motion, or a test button on an RCBO) it would indicate as you have suggested that there is an issue with the pullcord switch.

As you said work on the fuse board is for a sparks, if it is the pullcord switch and you need to replace it, (obviously make every effort to power it down, turning off the trip switch checking with a phase tester that you have the correct trip switch etc and rechecking again) check the old connections for a blue and black colour creeping up one or both cables, you will need to cut this away for the new connections as the problem will only return if you use the same bad connections ( if they are bad to begin with) dont twist the ends of the cables, just cut them and connect them in, if there are two connection screws per termination, make sure that the copper is stripped back enough to allow a good connection all the way into the termination and making contact with both screws

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Thank you Stoner
    The unit is only 2 years old and initially didn't work as the shower maintenance guy figured out the wires inside in the switch were wrong way around (I know, wish i could have got hold of the leccy....) so will chance replacing it later and hopefully that will be that.
    Thanks for the assistance.

Advertisement