Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Connell St Pedestrian Joke

Options
  • 08-10-2007 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

Was home last Friday walking up O'Connell street at 10.30am, next thing a van comes flying around the corner by Micky D's and just misses me! I was still taken back my this when I saw a jeep coming down the other direction beeping at a old man walking down the street!!

I've since been told that the street is open for deliveries until 11am. Two points;

1. Its a absolute disgrace that people are getting away using this as through-road during this time.

2. 11am WTF, every other town would have this limit at 9am

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Was home last Friday walking up O'Connell street at 10.30am, next thing a van comes flying around the corner by Micky D's and just misses me! I was still taken back my this when I saw a jeep coming down the other direction beeping at a old man walking down the street!!

I've since been told that the street is open for deliveries until 11am. Two points;

1. Its a absolute disgrace that people are getting away using this as through-road during this time.

2. 11am WTF, every other town would have this limit at 9am

9am!! But that would mean that the delivery men and women would actually have to get up early! ;)
    As for a through road! Hopefully these ppl will be caught and done big time!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Is the top part (4 lights side) not closed off permanently and only th bottom part open for deliveries?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Afraid not - that would make sense!!!

Both sides are open during delivery hours and it is unclear which way the traffic is supposed to flow!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I've nearly got hit twice by trucks when I've been crossing from Tohers to the Post Office at the lights (and the green man was flashing!)
    Plus the trucks aren't meant to turn left or afaik even exit from that way, bloody joke it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

It's been shut along time now, and it's still just a grotty, bumpy street with a few bollards on either end. Such a pathetic effort to turn it into a vibrant pedestrian street. (Oh. I forgot about the oversized flower boxes placed ad hoc infront of what used to be Burger King).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

why dont people take a registration and report them.

Simple as that.

il gatto wrote:
    It's been shut along time now, and it's still just a grotty, bumpy street with a few bollards on either end. Such a pathetic effort to turn it into a vibrant pedestrian street. (Oh. I forgot about the oversized flower boxes placed ad hoc infront of what used to be Burger King).

As i've said before. In fairness they are waiting for the Johnson's Court development to finish.

Work is due to commence in January AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭slavigo

I think that there are a couple of problems.

Aside from the "it's not been done up yet" one.

Firstly, it's supposed to be one way. From the Post Office up direction.
    I think a majority of delivery drivers come in the other direction as it's the more logical one for them. As it was always the direction of the road before it closed.

With regards to nearly getting knocked down.
    I think the big problem here is that it now is a pedestrian street and for a small portion of the day, delivery people can drive on it. It then to me becomes a pedestrian street where people can drive but slowly and carefully as it's a pedestrian street. The delivery people don't make that distinction, to them it's a road again and you shouldn't be walking there. The sooner it stops looking like a road and starts looking like a walkway the better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

It might be the only pedestrian street yet to need speed bumps before january! It is scary though as you do let your guard down when on it. Ie people arent looking crossing the road, toddlers are let off their parents hands. Are there any alerts for pedestrians about this? Havent seen them. Its either safe to walk on or not.
    Think there needs to be a few letters to local councillors. Its does appear to be an accident waiting to happen. An early start might be in order for the delivery men/women. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

tuppence wrote:
    It might be the only pedestrian street yet to need speed bumps before january! It is scary though as you do let your guard down when on it. Ie people arent looking crossing the road, toddlers are let off their parents hands. Are there any alerts for pedestrians about this? Havent seen them. Its either safe to walk on or not.
    Think there needs to be a few letters to local councillors. Its does appear to be an accident waiting to happen. An early start might be in order for the delivery men/women. :eek:

I don't know about anyone else but I always look while crossing that road even when the delivery vans aren't allowed on it. Force of habit I guess.

Sure I still walk on the footpath! I forget!

Gillie wrote:
    Sure I still walk on the footpath! I forget!

Me too and I get really annoyed when a bunch of people who are walking slow take up the whole footpath. Then I realise that I can walk on the road. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

Me too and I get really annoyed when a bunch of people who are walking slow take up the whole footpath. Then I realise that I can walk on the road. :o

footpath rage in sligo.

I don't know about anyone else but I always look while crossing that road even when the delivery vans aren't allowed on it. Force of habit I guess.
    I must be the statistic waiting to happen then! Along with a few trusting tourists no doubt.
    I'l have to get back up on the pavement with yourself and Gillie and take me chances.
    :D

tuppence wrote:
    I must be the statistic waiting to happen then! Along with a few trusting tourists no doubt.
    I'l have to get back up on the pavement with yourself and Gillie and take me chances.

Well i'll let you by me on the footpath so cause i'm Chivalrous!:D ;)

Gillie wrote:
    Well i'll let you by me on the footpath so cause i'm Chivalrous!:D ;)
    Why thankyou. But ,i think safest bet is single file as we might be blocking someone.
    ;):D

tuppence wrote:
    Why thankyou. But ,i think safest bet is single file as we might be blocking someone.
    ;):D

Would these people get the **** outta me way. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I still walk on the footpath too, because it feels unnatural to walk on what is still a road, complete wiht white markings and yellow lines.
    I don't think it's acceptable to have left it for so long on account of the Johnson's Court development. The street should be renovated, and any damage inflicted by the shopping center, fixed by the developer.It's standard practice in other countries.
    Only in Ireland can you cut roads and fill them up with a bit of lumpy cement and inch below street level and walk away. The Top Road in Strandhill was given a new surface in about '91. It was then butchered by developers for 15 years before it was resurfaced. The council maintained the mantra of waiting for developement to finish. Screw that. Do the work and anyone who causes damage takes a little of their huge profit and leaves it as they found it.

il gatto wrote: »
    I still walk on the footpath too, because it feels unnatural to walk on what is still a road, complete wiht white markings and yellow lines.
    I don't think it's acceptable to have left it for so long on account of the Johnson's Court development. The street should be renovated, and any damage inflicted by the shopping center, fixed by the developer.It's standard practice in other countries.
    Only in Ireland can you cut roads and fill them up with a bit of lumpy cement and inch below street level and walk away. The Top Road in Strandhill was given a new surface in about '91. It was then butchered by developers for 15 years before it was resurfaced. The council maintained the mantra of waiting for developement to finish. Screw that. Do the work and anyone who causes damage takes a little of their huge profit and leaves it as they found it.

Indeed!
    Hopefully it will be worth it when it's finished!

• Advertisement
Advertisement