Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Messenger to work for Mac's on campus

Options
  • 08-10-2007 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

I know people have had problems with this before, but i still cant get messenger to work on campus at all...unless its web messenger which sucks! I've noticed a lot more people using mac's on campus as well which is good to see, and was hoping somebody knew how to get this working! I've tried changing proxies before but to no avail!! Any help would be much appreciated!!

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Make sure that your proxies are set in your system preferences - so you need to go to Network, then click Airport, then Proxies tab and enter 'using a PAC file' and enter http://proxy.ucd.ie/proxy.pac as the address. Then restart the network (or the machine) and restart messenger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Whelo10

Hey Red Alert, i've tried what you said, but the same error came up, i can connect using web messenger alright, but both adium and messenger for mac both failed to connect...dont understand why this aint working

Try the wired network if you're registered on it - that definitely does work for me. There does seem to be some issue with the WLAN MSN for mac - if I've time on my way home I'll try this from the laptop area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Ah I really should just walk to your office but I'm on the 3rd floor and I'll come down when I'm stuck with my circuits but...

Mine doesn't work either. I've got normal ass windows xp though but it just won't work. Any ideas mister smart?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Messenger on mac, works for me an odd time.. but it insists I download the new version each time i sign in, which i do, bt it persists in showing up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

This question should be a stickie!

I've never tried the WLAN, dont even know if i have the cable to be honest! My msn worked for a split second in the lib the other day then dropped, theres no logic behind it! Nd i agree with the previos stickie comment!!

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭MistressPandora

Have you tried perhaps going into one of the IT Centres and asking nicely?

Many a time, all they check is the proxy settings, they dont know how to fix the prob on mac's, well at least the guy i was talking 2 didn't!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I tried this in vain for several weeks last year. Tried Adium, MSN for Mac, aMSN, God knows what else. Pidgin on Linux had the same problem. In the end I remembered I was supposed to be studying for a degree and gave up.

My solution was to run the Windows version via VMWare Fusion. Not much of a solution but if you have that option it works

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dewey101

have you tried the meebo thingy on the library's homepage?

I was in the Daed building and I overheard one of the IT guys that messenger services don't work over the wireless system. Yet my roomie with a pc can get it to work in belgrove and the odd time it works for me on my mac.

Yeah i gave the Meebo thing a bash last year, but it was the same prob, it would connect alright, but then drop minutes later...im starting to think this could be a lost cause!!

I was in the Daed building and I overheard one of the IT guys that messenger services don't work over the wireless system. Yet my roomie with a pc can get it to work in belgrove and the odd time it works for me on my mac.

I was in Daed today and messenger worked fine, same in Roebuck.

They can work fine on Macs...if you have the right settings.

They can work fine on Macs...if you have the right settings.
    And they would be?

This might be a sign that it's time for the SU IT officer or Education officer to try and make Mac a normal supported platform in the college. It has a sizeable enough chunk of usage, but Computer Services Management appeared to use Mac OS X as an excuse to discontinue support citing it as a 'UNIX OS'. In fact they recommended people use Mac OS 9 in preference rather than treating it as an opportunity for giving front line staff some simple new skills.

Breezer wrote: »
    And they would be?

I'm in Belgrove on WLAN and its working fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Anyone know if AIM or iChat works? Or is it just MSN? I might give the proxy thing a shot Red Alert suggested tomorrow because I've tried everything else and gotten no where.

Anyone know if AIM or iChat works? Or is it just MSN? I might give the proxy thing a shot Red Alert suggested tomorrow because I've tried everything else and gotten no where.

aim doesn't work for me, just msn

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Hunty

How do u even get messenger to work on any of the PCs in any of thee computer rooms??:confused:

AIM doesnt work either, Bonjour on iChat works fine though, i've only ever used web messenger on the computers on campus, not sure if they let ye download windows live messenger on2 them...This place really has to start catering for mac's!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Tigrrrr

Hunty wrote: »
    How do u even get messenger to work on any of the PCs in any of thee computer rooms??:confused:

http://www.webmessenger.msn.com (it's crap!) and allow the popups. I don't think there's another way unless you have a laptop/ ibook

There definitely is a problem on the WaveLAN with MSN Messenger for Mac. I've tried everything including manually setting proxy servers both in system preferences and in MSN Messenger itself. Computer services if you are reading this can you please sort this out?

Red Alert wrote: »
    There definitely is a problem on the WaveLAN with MSN Messenger for Mac. I've tried everything including manually setting proxy servers both in system preferences and in MSN Messenger itself. Computer services if you are reading this can you please sort this out?
    Well it seems to have improved since last year. Set it to use proxy.ucd.ie and port 8585 (not the usual 8484) and it not only connects, it doesn't crash the second a contact comes online the way it used to, AND it sends messages :D Too bad it can't receive any :rolleyes:

I notice that it works best after 12am.. which isn't of much use to those who live off campus.

I'm in the library now, and its working!! For the time being anyways!! I manually changed the proxy settings in messenger to proxy.ucd.ie and changed the port to 8585, not sure if this will work all around campus.....hang on, its just dropped on me!!! NOOOOO!!:mad: Ah lord....thought i had cracked it!! Guess not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

I had a look around the old interweb and apprently MSN not connecting on macs over wireless networks isn't something new. I've had a look through the MSN newsgroups but haven't found any real solutions (most of them invovle deleting preferences, unclicking the remember password box, e-mailing microsoft support).

Linky...type in wireless in the search box and it'll pull up a bunch of threads with the same problem. Basically, from what I've read, I don't think UCD tech support will have the answer.

Yes they have - let MSN go through the router. Seen as it works on my own WLAN at home and as far as MSN is concerned the wireless LAN is just another network interface (like ethernet or token ring) I think the problem is that UCD have a draconian firewall policy.

• Advertisement

Hunty wrote: »

You can't. Not one bit.
    We've had questions about this before and it's not possible on those machines because of the way they're reimaged. Your best bet is to just use web messenger.
    Hang on, you're all students, aren't you guys supposed to be studying or something?

Advertisement