Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm problem

Options
  • 08-10-2007 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Twice recently, in the middle of the night (of course!), our alarm has gone off when it wasn't set. On both occasions the control panel alarm events indicate a tamper problem with the pir sensor in the landing. Does this mean that the sensor is buggered or could there be another problem?

The alarm is a HKC SecureWatch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

the cover on the PIR could just be loose or something, sometimes these things get a smack during painting, and need a little tap to snap the cover back into place , or else remount the cover on the pir. I wouldn't go replacing it straight away as it may not be the cause of the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

Thing is that nothing has been done in the region of the pir for a long time. I'll take the cover off this evening and reseat it just to check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

on a side note, anyone have any idea how much it would cost to get the alarm rewired...
    I arrived home one night in my new apartment to find someone had set the alarm but i wasnt told the pin... no one was here and i ended up having to cut the wire because it was 4 am in the morning and i didnt want to wake the neighbourhood up...
    I got a text from whom i had attempted to call a few minutes previous with the pin, which i punched in to turn the alarm off..
    I had cut halfway through the wire at this stage...

I took the cover off the pir last night and nothing happened. I would have expected the alarm to go off with a tamper fault? When I had a look the tamper micro switch doesn't seem to have any travel in it? Am I looking at a faulty sensor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

have you had work done recently in the house. tampers usually occur when someone cuts trough the cable. in my experience a lot of the time its carpet fitters or window and door guys. it might not be the pir itself it could be the cable. one way of checking is open the pir and find the little tamper spring, hold it in and see if the tamper closes on the keypad, if the tamper remains open take out the wires and join them. if the tamper is gone its a faulty pir. if the tamper remains when the circut is closed its the cable. on the pcb of the pir the tamper should be marked. usually its the blue and yellow wires but this depends on yer alarm and who installed it.
    ps...if there are resistors in the pir ied get onto the engineers, cause its dual end of line and experience to fault find would be a must

• Advertisement

There has been no work done in the house which would have disturbed either the pir itself or the wiring. This is what's leading me to suspect it.

This afternoon I was unable to set the alarm because of an "open tamper" fault - again pointing at the same pir - yet this evening I was able to set the alarm no problem without anything having been done in the meantime!

Advertisement