Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best shop for shoes?

Options
  • 08-10-2007 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    After buying sprinters Giant SCR 3.0, I need a pair of cycling shoes and cleats to fit LOOK pedals. I don't want to break the bank, maybe €60 or so. Haven't got a clue about where would be the best place in Dublin regarding price and selection though so would appreciate any feedback :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

If you want a good deal go to Chainreactioncycles.com.

But only if you know your size....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Quigs Snr wrote:
    If you want a good deal go to Chainreactioncycles.com.

But only if you know your size....

Yeah, shimano are all undersized, i.e. if you take a size 9 you might want a shimano 10. Go to a shop in town and get fitted, then buy online!, buy something small in the shop if you feel guilty

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Sure would I not be just as well buying off ebay if I'm buying online? Would the saving really be that much worth it for a cheaper pair? I'm talking as cheap as possible (for now) here :) Something like this would be fine:

http://chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9502

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

cormie wrote:
    Sure would I not be just as well buying off ebay if I'm buying online? Would the saving really be that much worth it for a cheaper pair? I'm talking as cheap as possible (for now) here :) Something like this would be fine:

http://chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9502

i doubt your going to get anything cheaper than that on e-bay. chainreactions offer free deliver too

E@gle. wrote:
    i doubt your going to get anything cheaper than that on e-bay. chainreactions offer free deliver too

Yeah, they are really nice ones too, might even wear them around when I'm not cycling:D Free delivery even to Ireland? Is that on bikes too?

Edit: just checked and yup, free delivery, no minimum order:) I might just go ahead and order what, size 11 in them since I take a size 10 usually?

• Advertisement

Ok, I think I'm going to go and order these now, so you reckon because I take a size 10 usually, that I should go for a size 11 in the above? A size 10 is a 44, right? :)

I'm not too sure what cleats I need either:confused:

I have these pedals and will be wearing the above shoes.

Would appreciate any feedback so I can put in the order asap:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

cormie wrote:
    Ok, I think I'm going to go and order these now, so you reckon because I take a size 10 usually, that I should go for a size 11 in the above? A size 10 is a 44, right? :)

I'm not too sure what cleats I need either:confused:

I have these pedals and will be wearing the above shoes.

Would appreciate any feedback so I can put in the order asap:)

You will need these cleats
    http://chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=21588

Cool thanks a mill :)

Now to ponder whether to order size 10 or 11:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

cormie wrote:
    Cool thanks a mill :)

Now to ponder whether to order size 10 or 11:o

Don't take a chance on the shoe size, go somewhere to try on the shoe (or similar from Shimano) before comitting to buy online. It's worth taking the time to get it right!

I've sent them an email to get their opinion on it. They only have size 44 (UK 9 1/2) or size 46 (UK 11) so they don't even have the 44.5 (Uk 10) I'd usually get anyway.

Where in Dublin would stock this or other Shimano shoes does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

If it's any help I am generally a 44/10 in normal shoes and 45/11 in runners and cycling shoes. Sometimes even a bit bigger. Point is I would be leaning towards a bigger/runner measurement here.

Well it's either got to be a 44 or a 46 from chainreaction, they don't have 44.5 or 45:(

Does anyone know anywhere that sells that shoe in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

What about this one? Looks pretty similar to me.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9503
    cormie wrote:
    Well it's either got to be a 44 or a 46 from chainreaction, they don't have 44.5 or 45:(

Does anyone know anywhere that sells that shoe in Dublin?

Thanks a lot for going to that effort:)

That looks ok alright, but sure if Rubadub says to get a size up than usual, I might be just as well with the 46 in the first pair?

If there was a place that sells them in Dublin I could go in and try them on/haggle the price down;)

I dunno, I'm on the lookout for a pair myself. I have a pair of Shimano mountain bike shoes and, sure enough, they're about a size, or possibly half a size, smaller than they claim to be.
    cormie wrote:
    Thanks a lot for going to that effort:)

That looks ok alright, but sure if Rubadub says to get a size up than usual, I might be just as well with the 46 in the first pair?

If there was a place that sells them in Dublin I could go in and try them on/haggle the price down;)

What size are you yourself? If you were half a size smaller than me, I could get both and if the 46 fit me, then you can have the 45, if the 45 fit me, I send the 46 back and you get your own :P

It's an intriguing plan but alas my feet have been described as "canal boats", so I'd be going in the other direction. The shoes I have are a touch on the small side. Reckon I need a 47.5 or a 48!
    cormie wrote:
    What size are you yourself? If you were half a size smaller than me, I could get both and if the 46 fit me, then you can have the 45, if the 45 fit me, I send the 46 back and you get your own :P

What size are your current ones? If the 46 are indeed too big for me, then they might be right for you? What shoe size do you usually take yourself? If it's 11, then the 46 will either fit me at a size 10, or be too big at a size 11? Could be worth a shot? Unless you're usually 11.5/12?

That's exactly it: usually 11.5/12.
    cormie wrote:
    Unless you're usually 11.5/12?

Ah dang. Worth a shot anyway :)

I assume the UK way of measuring feet is in inches? I just measured mine and it seems a 10.5 would suit better actually. 10 is too small. From the back of my heel to the tip of my big toe is about 10.25 inches

Just looking at some shoe sizing charts and it seems the men/women/us/uk sizing is different in this and this.

And if this is to go by, which says a US 11 is equal to a 45.5 for a Shimano, that means the US 11 should be equal to a UK 10.5 or 11 for a 46. I think?

How much space should you have in a shoe again?

Which shop in Dublin would have the biggest selection of bicycle shoes and what's the likelihood they have the pair I want? :)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I'd disagree with the above about buying a size bigger, shoes are usually a smaller fit so they fit snugly and don't move at all when you pedal. They should nearly be painful to walk in, as when on the bike they should then be perfect imo.

This article is good, if a bit hardcore imo, but it should get you thinking the correct way.

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/features/shoes.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The last time I was out in the Cycle super store they had a reasonable selection. Most I've seen here, anyway. You could check out Stagg's in Lucan. If he doesn't carry it, he'll probably order them for you.

I got mine in Evans over the net. I got shoes and compatible pedals (it says in the product description if they're compatible) for €98, though that was nearly three years ago. They've worked perfectly since and I walk around in them, too, though not too much.

For the record I bought Cannondale Arago MC900 shoes and Shimano A515 pedals.

Dunno much about shoes, to be honest, dude. Have you tried here? ;)
    cormie wrote:
    Ah dang. Worth a shot anyway :)

I assume the UK way of measuring feet is in inches? I just measured mine and it seems a 10.5 would suit better actually. 10 is too small. From the back of my heel to the tip of my big toe is about 10.25 inches

Just looking at some shoe sizing charts and it seems the men/women/us/uk sizing is different in this and this.

And if this is to go by, which says a US 11 is equal to a 45.5 for a Shimano, that means the US 11 should be equal to a UK 10.5 or 11 for a 46. I think?

How much space should you have in a shoe again?

Which shop in Dublin would have the biggest selection of bicycle shoes and what's the likelihood they have the pair I want? :)

I might just risk it for a biscuit and order the 46:o

I actually measured my foot again putting weight on it from the heel to the 2nd (which is longer than my big toe actually) and it's just under 11inches. So I think a 10.5 or 11 should do the trick, which I think the 46 shimano is.

Where is Cycle Super Store slow coach? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

cormie wrote:

Where is Cycle Super Store slow coach? :)

Location map

just off the Greenhills Rd near Tallaght.

Cool thanks:)

Well I tried on a 45 and a 46 pair of Shimanos yesterday. The 45 are a tighter, but still comfortable fit and I just ordered the 45 Shimano RO74 from velosportonline.com for £37.90 delivered so only £3 more than chain reaction.

Now I'm about to order a light and cleats from chainreaction, but I've just seen the cleats I was about to order have 2 different options.

Red 9 degrees or Black 0 degrees. What's the story with the degrees? I want the black ones but if the 9 degrees makes a positive difference, I'd prefer them:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I'd go for the Red ones. The black ones allow no float (basically your feet are totally locked and can't move side to side). The red ones allow a tiny bit of lateral movement and I would recommend them particularly if you are starting off as they will allow your feet to find their natural position on the pedal whilst still keeping you securely locked in. The 0 degree float pedals are sometimes linked with knee problems in certain individuals...

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

get the 9 degrees, it is 'float'. It lets you move a little from side to side in the pedal and helps protect your knees. 9 degrees isn't much anyway.

• Advertisement

Cool, thanks for the quick replies:) 2 replies here and I still haven't heard back from chainreaction even though I mailed them before posting here:rolleyes:

Advertisement