Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do dogs roll in poo?

• 08-10-2007 12:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

Every time I bring my dogs for a walk either one or the other (or both!) finds a crap to roll in. If this were cow/sheep dung it wouldn't be so bad but the poo they find seems to to be from wildlife - presumably carnivore - and it STINKS!!!

If this is a natural inclination I guess I'll just have to live with but does anyone know why dogs do this? I'm guessing it has something to do with camouflaging the scent they emit (?)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭fits

Fox poo is to dogs as what Chanel No. 5 (or the like) is to humans..

lovely stuff :D

My preferred method of deterrent is to roar my head off at the dog... Normally works :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Yeah it is just the wolf in him. :) They are just masking their scent so it will be easier for them to hunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

We have badger sets on our farm at home - phew but that stuff stinks. Dogs just adore it. The stinkier the better. They'll also go for silage effluent as well.

What's worse are the looks the dog gives you as you eject it from the house for being stinky :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭traceybere

Ots probaly fiction but when i was a child i was told its a way of cleaing there coats - so like a mini spa :D it does smell but makes it shinner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Threads like this remind me of how glad I am that I have cats ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

fits wrote:
    Fox poo is to dogs as what Chanel No. 5 (or the like) is to humans..

lovely stuff :D

My preferred method of deterrent is to roar my head off at the dog... Normally works :D

Chanel No. 5 - Hilarious ROFL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Nala wrote:
    Threads like this remind me of how glad I am that I have cats ;)

Yes but cats are evil.

I'd rather have an animal that occasionally attempts to roll in its own poo, than one that is evil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

They may be evil but hey, they don't slobber! lol :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

actually, one of my cat slobbers every time he get into the "cuddle zone"! After he's being pet for a while he's start to salavate quite a bit - has done so since he was 8 weeks old, so nothing dental. But your hands and the fur around his face will be soaked! Sorry for being a bit off topic :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

My dog never does this - except where she can find a *human* poo. I was driving from Dublin to Galway one time and stopped off for a walk and a rest at a disused Protestant church a mile or so before Kilbeggan. She went off and reappeared with a guilty grin, and *phew*.

I drove to Kilbeggan at breakneck speed with all the windows open, and then put her into the river about a million times by throwing a stick until the stink was gone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement