Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So who has the hardest shot in the football

• 08-10-2007 1:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭

I always remember growing up that ronald koeman had the hardest shot in football although not sure if this is true or not.

Anyway who has the hardest shot in football now?

Scholes and Rooney at United
    Riise at Liverpool
    Van Persie and kolo at Arsenal
    Lampard at Chelsea

Jimi floyd Hasselbank had a great shot on him. Sherear too as did tony yeboah.
    Adriano has a good left foot.

Anybody else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

i take it you've never seen a denis behan free kick then..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Elano certainly looks like he can give the ball a fair old belt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Adriano can hit a belter when he tries. Toure also ****ing whacks the ball like no tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Hugo Almeida of Werder. Here's one of his from when he was at Porto -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ5FeWCXVRs

Elano seems to just have amazing technique that generates the power cause he's not exactly a big lad. Dunney has a fair smack of a ball when he's given indirect frees.

JFH always hit screamers for Leeds and Chelsea.

Van Bommel had one against England a few years back in a friendly that was some hit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

i take it you've never seen a denis behan free kick then..

Many a time unfortunately.... seems to be actually scoring goals nowadays though.
    Was going to name Elano but seems to be flavour of the month.

Who was that Rangers player nicknamed the hammer. He had some strike on him

• Advertisement

jank wrote:
    Who was that Rangers player nicknamed the hammer. He had some strike on him

Jorg Albretz. Yeah he had a decent smack of a ball alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

1) David Hirst - 114mph (for Sheffield Wednesday @ Arsenal on September 16 1996)
    2) David Beckham - 97.9mph (for Man Utd v Chelsea on February 22 1997)
    3) David Trezeguet - 96mph (for Monaco @ Man Utd on March 19 1998)
    4) Richie Humphreys - 95.9mph (for Sheffield Wednesday v Aston Villa on August 17 1996)
    5) Matt Le Tissier - 86.8mph (for Southampton v Newcastle on January 18 1997)
    6) Alan Shearer - 85.8mph (for Newcastle v Leicester on February 2 1997)
    7) Roberto Carlos - 85.2mph (for Brazil v France on June 3 1997)
    8) Tugay - 84.2mph (for Blackburn @ Southampton on November 3 2001)
    9) Obafemi Martins - 84mph (for Newcastle @ Tottenham on January 14 2007)
    10) David Beckham - 80.5mph (for Man Utd @ Derby on September 4 1996)

as of Feb this year ^^

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

without any hard evidence in my mind it will always be ronald koeman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

jeez I remember that Trezeguet one alright, unstoppable...this guy can whack it too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub842qIfVZQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Stoichov could hit them too, the hardest i can rmember was Ruben Sosa at Inter, he used belt them with litte or no run up.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

hmmm interesting.

Van Perise's yesterday was 77.4 MPH.
    So he aint that far off. Would like to know the measurments of Kolo's strike that came off the woodwork.

Nicky Summerbee was recorded as hitting a shot at 87mph at a City training session once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

KdjaCL wrote:
    1) David Hirst - 114mph (for Sheffield Wednesday @ Arsenal on September 16 1996)

Must of been gale force conditions cas Van Persie belted that ball yesterday with a lighter ball then 11 years ago, and that was recorded at less then 80mph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Yeah that Martins goal was a bit of a thumper alright.

Trilla wrote:
    Must of been gale force conditions cas Van Persie belted that ball yesterday with a lighter ball then 11 years ago, and that was recorded at less then 80mph

Would a heavier ball not go faster if hit harder :confused:

Any physics students here :D

Mythbusters?

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

KdjaCL wrote:
    Any physics students here :D

Nerds don't hang out in sports forums!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Xavi6 wrote:
    Jorg Albretz. Yeah he had a decent smack of a ball alright.

I think Albertz hit a freekick against Celtic which was recorded at around 90MPH.
    I remember watching him hit a penalty against then hearts keeper Gilles Rousset in some charity thing.
    The ball smacked off Rousset's Knee and landed around twenty yards over the half way line when it stopped....must have stung like hell!
    Im sure Kerr, the Celtic goalkeeper suffered a fractured hand after saving one of the Hammers blows.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Obafemi wins coz we're still not sure if he's left or right footed!

Julian Dicks otherwise (see penos v Man U and Spurs in 96/97).

kinaldo wrote:
    Obafemi wins coz we're still not sure if he's left or right footed!

See his miss 2 weeks ago ? dont think he knows if hes right or left footed either :D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Thomas "The Hammer" Hitzlberger. Is he still playing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Aye he's at Stuttgart now.
    http://www.thoma****zlsperger.azplayers.com/

EDIT: Holy ****! the swear filter is ridiculous eh? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Sinisa Mihailovic(sp) had a fair oul shot on him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Olivier Kapo would be one to consider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

He hit a few thunderbolts in his time. I remember twice in the space of a few weeks for Bayern he scored 2 of the best volleys I have ever seen - absolute rockets!

Edit: here's one of them. Not quite the rocket I remember it as:o :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9VmzmA_Jw0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Nunu wrote:
    He hit a few thunderbolts in his time. I remember twice in the space of a few weeks for Bayern he scored 2 of the best volleys I have ever seen - absolute rockets!

Edit: here's one of them. Not quite the rocket I remember it as:o :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9VmzmA_Jw0

HEHEHEH "Herbert". :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Seedorf has to be up there, that goal for real from just inside the halfway line moved so fooking fast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Essien against Arsenal last season was a fair whack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i remember hearing before that the hardest ever shot belonged to a south american defender who never made it to the european leagues or something along those lines... a name similar to Ayala but not Ayala... bah.... never been able to find where i read it though since.

but yeah, thank fup for that guardian column. has solved quite a few debates for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Can't compare modern hits against those from a different era, the ball is so light these days it proberly won't travel as fast as air resistance has a greater impact.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Master Hagi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Aof-G7nv1I

Now bow to Master Hagi.

Hagi Rules.

King Hagi.

Hagi 2007.

Maradona of the Carpathian's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

jeez I remember that Trezeguet one alright, unstoppable...this guy can whack it too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub842qIfVZQ

Classic:D

Michael Tarnat scored some absolute screamers. Here he is 'against' Thomas Hitzlsperger. Two German lefties.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgO_OFP3phY

Also goal number 8 on this vid is just ridiculous -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzt4a-MSC2Q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

I'd say Alan Smith reckons Riise has a fairly hefty boot on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I remember on record breakers all those years ago Summerbe won the hardest shot in England comp alright.

Come to think of it though, I recall at the time they said Tony Yaboa's rocket against Wimbledon was over 90mph or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

bw wrote:
    I'd say Alan Smith reckons Riise has a fairly hefty boot on him.
    Riise has some smack of a ball alright and so has Gerrard! Wouldnt fancy being in a wall in front of a Ronaldo free kick either.

They may not be the hardest shot but they pack a hefty punch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

KdjaCL wrote:
    Would a heavier ball not go faster if hit harder :confused:

haha maybe yeah. I think that goal was from 6 or 7 yards out anyway... they dont count :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

mike65 wrote:
    Can't compare modern hits against those from a different era, the ball is so light these days it proberly won't travel as fast as air resistance has a greater impact.

Maybe we should move this to the Physics forum ....

I would have thought that the modern balls have less air resistance as their outer materials are slicker (plastic) and they are more spherical (different panelling).

Less air resistance means that they would travel further for the same amount of force and hence their speed over an equivalent distance would be faster.

Also, they seem to be a bit lighter and respond/rebound off a hard surface (such as a foot) with a higher amount of elasticity (98% or something) than the balls did of old. Modern balls also dont retain any moisture or very little so dont gain any weight during the match, and grass on most days contains some moisture.

Another factor to consider is air temperature and ball temperature, not to mention wind. Its easy some days to kick a ball at 100 mph when you are in Belmullet!

Another factor to consider is the distance of the shot, as a ball will reach its 'terminal' velocity at some point over a greater distance when compared with a short distance.

There are a lot of variables ..... but we all know a hard shot when we see one.

Redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Trilla wrote:
    haha maybe yeah. I think that goal was from 6 or 7 yards out anyway... they dont count :D
    The worst is when you're playing ball out on a field, or on the road and some idiot hits a blemmer from six yards, no keeper or net, and the ball goes miles away.

Clowns.

DesF wrote:
    The worst is when you're playing ball out on a field, or on the road and some idiot hits a blemmer from six yards, no keeper or net, and the ball goes miles away.

Clowns.

Ah but if it's a volley and you catch it just right it's well worth the 100 metre dash after it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

but as was mentioned, david hirst has the hardest recorded shot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Peter Lorimer apparently had a shot clocked at 90mph, which is some going considering advances in boot and ball technology were pretty much non-existent in the 60s and 70s.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Milan had a brazilian centre back like 10 years ago called Cruz who hit some screamers, used to call his free-kicks cruz-missiles... oh I miss channel4 italian footie.

redspider wrote:
    Maybe we should move this to the Physics forum ....

I would have thought that the modern balls have less air resistance as their outer materials are slicker (plastic) and they are more spherical (different panelling).

Less air resistance means that they would travel further for the same amount of force and hence their speed over an equivalent distance would be faster.

Also, they seem to be a bit lighter and respond/rebound off a hard surface (such as a foot) with a higher amount of elasticity (98% or something) than the balls did of old. Modern balls also dont retain any moisture or very little so dont gain any weight during the match, and grass on most days contains some moisture.

Another factor to consider is air temperature and ball temperature, not to mention wind. Its easy some days to kick a ball at 100 mph when you are in Belmullet!

Another factor to consider is the distance of the shot, as a ball will reach its 'terminal' velocity at some point over a greater distance when compared with a short distance.

There are a lot of variables ..... but we all know a hard shot when we see one.

Redspider

Mythbusters time

Buy a cheap 99cent balloon ball with winnie the pooh on it.
    A Champion plastic ball
    a latest Nike ball
    a Mitra ball that weighs roughly the same as your skull.

Bet you get more a ooomph from the Mitre than any of the others therefore heavier ball = harder :D:confused: :cool:

I would imagine a heavier ball could be hit harder.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

KdjaCL wrote:
    2) David Beckham - 97.9mph (for Man Utd v Chelsea on February 22 1997)
    3) David Trezeguet - 96mph (for Monaco @ Man Utd on March 19 1998)
    4) Richie Humphreys - 95.9mph (for Sheffield Wednesday v Aston Villa on August 17 1996)
    5) Matt Le Tissier - 86.8mph (for Southampton v Newcastle on January 18 1997)
    6) Alan Shearer - 85.8mph (for Newcastle v Leicester on February 2 1997)
    7) Roberto Carlos - 85.2mph (for Brazil v France on June 3 1997)
    8) Tugay - 84.2mph (for Blackburn @ Southampton on November 3 2001)
    9) Obafemi Martins - 84mph (for Newcastle @ Tottenham on January 14 2007)
    10) David Beckham - 80.5mph (for Man Utd @ Derby on September 4 1996)

as of Feb this year ^^

kdjac

Odd how 8 of the 10 are from English clubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It's all about the ability of the ball to absorbe the force from your foot. The better the design of the ball, the more force can be absorbed. A balloon won't take the force that well, and hence when you kick it won't go that far.

Think of it like this. If you hit a cricket ball with a bat, or you hit a tennis ball with a bat, which goes further? Both are designed in a roughly similar way, but the tennis ball is gona go much further, yet it's lighter.

It's about ball design, and after that, the lighter the better, simply because less force is transferred back onto you foot.

nipplenuts wrote:
    Odd how 8 of the 10 are from English clubs

Or all recorded on Sky Sports Replay 2000 machine so all gmaes were on sky.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Denis Behan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Denis Behan

Jaysis, will City fans please get out of Behan's hole, it's getting tiresome at this stage.

Wow, he's scored a few goals lately. Bra-vo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

The amount of grief they gave him up until a month ago and now they love him. Football fans really are fickle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

While I never gave him much grief, it is easy to see why.

He has a poor first touch, lack of pace, moans a lot.

His touch has definitely come on from 2/3 years ago but he still has much to go.

Hopefully he can keep on doing what hes doing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement