Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Routes in Dublin

Options
  • 08-10-2007 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone could recommend a couple of cycle routes around the city, nothing too hectic just want to try and get out on the bike for a couple of hours a week.

traffic isnt a problem, but would prefer semi-decent road surface

I know not asking for much ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Just wondering if anyone could recommend a couple of cycle routes around the city, nothing too hectic just want to try and get out on the bike for a couple of hours a week.

traffic isnt a problem, but would prefer semi-decent road surface

I know not asking for much ;)

I like this one myself... it's nice in the Park :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Here's another one:

Rathfarnham, Glencullen, Dundrum, Rathfarnham

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1375437

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

nice one the one in the park seems good, what are the roads like.

nice one the one in the park seems good, what are the roads like.

They're pretty good... there's a cycle lane up the main straight which is fairly smooth, though can have a lot of pedestrians on it. Round the edges the road surface is grand, and there's even a couple of short climbs for the craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

They're pretty good... there's a cycle lane up the main straight which is fairly smooth, though can have a lot of pedestrians on it. Round the edges the road surface is grand, and there's even a couple of short climbs for the craic!

yeah i love the park, that's my usual evening spin you've mapped out there, more or less. i wonder if you'll still find those little climbs great craic when you get your fixie up and running. :p i do. :eek:

• Advertisement

niceonetom wrote:
    yeah i love the park, that's my usual evening spin you've mapped out there, more or less. i wonder if you'll still find those little climbs great craic when you get your fixie up and running. :p i do. :eek:

Hehe! Actually, and in a totally unscientific way, I find it easier on hills with the fixie -must be something to do with momentum or somesuch...

In related news, I've finally got a front brake on, and it makes ALL the difference in my comfort on it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Do you mean going down them as well as up? I could see how going up might be easier...
    Hehe! Actually, and in a totally unscientific way, I find it easier on hills with the fixie -must be something to do with momentum or somesuch...

In related news, I've finally got a front brake on, and it makes ALL the difference in my comfort on it :D

Do you mean going down them as well as up? I could see how going up might be easier...

yes coming down can be challenging too, and i suppose i look like an eejit with my legs a blur beneath me. that's when brakes cease to be an optional extra for me: a steep decent that ends in a T-junction with a main road :eek:

I meant going up...down isn't bad, just different :rolleyes:

I live at the top of a reasonably steep hill and I'd like to know, before I flip my wheel to the fixed side, that I'll be able to handle the pedalling pace going down the hill!
    I meant going up...down isn't bad, just different :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I live at the top of a reasonably steep hill and I'd like to know, before I flip my wheel to the fixed side, that I'll be able to handle the pedalling pace going down the hill!

yeah, no problem. just spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

And you can also drag your brake to keep the speed under control.

Fair balls. I'll give it a whack.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

niceonetom wrote:
    yeah, no problem. just spin.
    I tend to max-out @ 166bpm, but I need to add a couple of teeth on the chainring.

we've wandered off-topic a bit here don't ya think? :p .
    rp wrote:
    I need to add a couple of teeth on the chainring.

what ratio you running now? i cna't spin my legs fast enough to get my heart really pumping, above a certain speed (40-45kph maybe?) my arse just comes out of the saddle and i begin to lose speed whether i want to or not :o

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

niceonetom wrote:
    what ratio you running now?
    I'm on 30/12, so it's 1:2.5 (69"), cuz I've just moved back from a far hillier place. I'm building up a new bike so I'm looking at a 46/17 1:2.7 (72"), which should let me get up to 60kph (on a good day).

Like a good citizen of the boards, I'm going to start a new thread on this subject...
    rp wrote:
    I'm on 30/12, so it's 1:2.5 (69"), cuz I've just moved back from a far hillier place. I'm building up a new bike so I'm looking at a 46/17 1:2.7 (72"), which should let me get up to 60kph (on a good day).

Advertisement