Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert timetable 2008

Options
  • 08-10-2007 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭

Confirmed as bring changed now, its out next month, news article here::

Hanafin announces changes to Leaving Cert timetable
    08/10/2007 - 13:15:08

Minister for Education Mary Hanafin has announced changes to the Leaving Cert exams timetable in an effort to ease the pressure on students.

From next June, students will no longer have to sit the English, Irish and Maths exams back-to-back.

The move follows concerns about the amount of writing they have to do during the first three days of the exams.

The Department of Education and the State Examinations Commission have now drawn up a new timetable that will be implemented next year.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhmhkfcwauoj/rss2/

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,227 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

"From next June" - so the proposed changes will be in the 2009 exams?

**edit**
    My mistake - I thought this was referring to the proposed holding of exams in May - the SEC have jiggled the English, Irish and Maths about a bit in June by the sound of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

spurious wrote:
    "From next June" - so the proposed changes will be in the 2009 exams?

**edit**
    My mistake - I thought this was referring to the proposed holding of exams in May - the SEC have jiggled the English, Irish and Maths about a bit in June by the sound of it.

sounds to me like they will just move around the exams in june a bit, the timetable will be available from november this year so we will see then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

timmywex wrote:
    sounds to me like they will just move around the exams in june a bit, the timetable will be available from november this year so we will see then.

i quite like this idea.

an awful lot better than having paper 1 in may which would have been a logistical nightmare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Not fair I tells ya, you should all go through the same horror in the original format, as those preceding you have endured:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Naikon wrote:
    Not fair I tells ya, you should all go through the same horror in the original format, as those preceding you have endured:D

Agreed:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 clickclick

possible format is

Day 1 english p1
    home economics
    Day 2 english p2
    chemistry
    Day 3 maths p1
    geography
    and so on
    i was banking on an extra week for chem!!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 whateva eva eva

clickclick wrote:
    possible format is

Day 1 english p1
    home economics
    Day 2 english p2
    chemistry
    Day 3 maths p1
    geography
    and so on
    That suits me pretty well. I'm a repeat student so I'm not sitting english. Where did you see this possible format? You don't know the rest of this possible format is by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Hmm fairly interesting but a change was clearly needed, hopefully this will work to our advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 clickclick

That suits me pretty well. I'm a repeat student so I'm not sitting english. Where did you see this possible format? You don't know the rest of this possible format is by any chance?
    i heard hanafin discuss it on the radio on monday and it was only a possible format. that list isnt definite, more of an example but its the jist of the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Naikon wrote:

This is the real reason Irish is still compulsory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

1huge1 wrote: »
    Hmm fairly interesting but a change was clearly needed, hopefully this will work to our advantage.

If its to your advantage then its to everyone elses advantage and the points will reflect this so tbh even if does make the LC easier in terms of points youll still be in the same situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

If it were to be introduced for the 2008 exams it would be unfair. The format should be changed for next year. Into the 2007/2008 school year is too late for making a decision. The mocks would need to be the same format and the Department are only bringing trouble on their back introducing it so soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

Naikon wrote: »

QFT :D

If its to your advantage then its to everyone elses advantage and the points will reflect this so tbh even if does make the LC easier in terms of points youll still be in the same situation.
    Yes but in terms of pressure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

clickclick wrote: »
    possible format is

Day 1 english p1
    home economics
    Day 2 english p2
    chemistry
    Day 3 maths p1
    geography
    and so on
    i was banking on an extra week for chem!!!!:eek:

That suits me sweetly I don't do either Home Ec or Chemistry. Heres to hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

alan4cult wrote: »
    The mocks would need to be the same format and the Department are only bringing trouble on their back introducing it so soon.

But sure like the mock timetable that schools have isnt the same as the leaving cert one is it? so it doesnt really matter what way the exam timetable is made.

Is it November when the timetable will be made available does anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,934 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Jakkass wrote: »
    That suits me sweetly I don't do either Home Ec or Chemistry. Heres to hoping!

You think you got it good?? I don't do Maths, Home-Ec or Chemistry!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I don't do home ec, chemistry or geography so I'd be perfectly happy with that! However, I like the fact that art and music are near the end, gives more time to study, so wouldn't want them moved. Applied maths could afford to be moved, it fits in with maths and physics so it'd be handiest to get the logical stuff out of the way in one chunk.

ah no, leave applied maths and physics alone, im quite happy with where they used to be thanks!!

Too late now, the department have read my post and will be acting upon my words any moment now.
    And on that note, I think it'd be really great if you could bring your english texts in with you. *wink!*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

alan4cult wrote: »
    If it were to be introduced for the 2008 exams it would be unfair. The format should be changed for next year. Into the 2007/2008 school year is too late for making a decision. The mocks would need to be the same format and the Department are only bringing trouble on their back introducing it so soon.

Why is it unfair? Everyone is in the same boat.

Anyway, each school decides when to run their mocks and what timetable they will follow, some schools don't run full length exams or do parts of the exams (eg english and irish essays) in class. Some schools don't even run mocks, so that will have nothing to do with the final timetable.

If a student is sitting the LC in June it shouldn't make much difference whether a given subject is on the 4th,5th or 25th of June, the work should be done at that stage of the year.

work should be done at that stage of the year.
    But isn't. : p
    Well I can't guarantee that to be true, I haven't done my LC yet, but I imagine I'm going to use the extra time before my later exams to get some study in, the time for which I would have sacrificed earlier to do things such as english and irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Day 1 - Wednesday 4th June English Paper 1 & Home Economics (Social & Sc)
    Day 2 - Thursday 5th June - English Paper 2 & Chemistry
    Day 3 - Friday 6th June - Mathematics Paper 1 & Geography
    Day 4 - Monday 9th June - Mathematics Paper 2 & Irish Paper 1/Aural
    Day 5 - Tuesday 10th June - Irish Paper 2 & Business
    Day 6 - Wednesday 11th June - French & History
    Day 7 - Thursday 12th June - Biology & Art (History & Appreciation)
    (Day 8 - Day 11 along lines of previous year's timetable.)
    Damn yeah. Only day of two exams would be Monday. Art History being so soon would be a little annoying, but suppose, nice to get these things over with.

care to post the timetable for days 8-11 from previous years? By the way that timetable really suits me, giving me a free day to study just biology is great because I'm terrible at it and after that all I'll have is german which isn't a major problem at all.

1huge1 wrote: »
    care to post the timetable for days 8-11 from previous years? By the way that timetable really suits me, giving me a free day to study just biology is great because I'm terrible at it and after that all I'll have is german which isn't a major problem at all.

http://www.examinations.ie/exam/2007_LCWrittenExamTimetable.pdf

em, there will be a few changes, for example, tech drawing is on thursday and friday last year but this year it cant be on the thursday, this is the last year there are 2 papers in that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Why is it unfair? Everyone is in the same boat.

Anyway, each school decides when to run their mocks and what timetable they will follow, some schools don't run full length exams or do parts of the exams (eg english and irish essays) in class. Some schools don't even run mocks, so that will have nothing to do with the final timetable.

If a student is sitting the LC in June it shouldn't make much difference whether a given subject is on the 4th,5th or 25th of June, the work should be done at that stage of the year.

I posted that comment to a previous thread about the possibility of exams taking place in May (hence the post date). I don't know how the post ended up here. Was there a thread merge/edit? I think this new idea is fair and I'm sorry for any misunderstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Does anyone know the exact date the timetable is coming out??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,934 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

"I'm a big fan of the Mars Bar Diet. You don't eat the Mars bar, you stick it up your arse and let a rottweiler chase you home."

Ouch...

Advertisement