Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jazz fest on the cheap

Options
  • 08-10-2007 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Anyone know of any good gigs over the Guiness Jazz weekend that're cheap/free?
    If only jazz grew on trees :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I have no clue about the jazz, except it's always the week of my birthday & this year it's the same weekend as the NFL game in London (w00t) but I always thought that the jazz was free in most places around town, and you only have to pay into the headquarters or something... I may very well be wrong, but that's what I always thought anyways...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

The Triskel usually have reasonably priced shows, try the website or picking up a flyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭shnaek

The JAZZ is free in the Metropole during the day as well. They have about 6 rooms with bands, and it is usually excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭jaydigity

shnaek wrote:
    The JAZZ is free in the Metropole during the day as well. They have about 6 rooms with bands, and it is usually excellent.

Yep, that's true, the metropole is brill for jazz in the daytime,
    anyone recommend any gigs (esp. night time stuff) that isn't too pricey?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭fuse

Hope to be goin down too, might even be playin at it!

Just looking at the programme now, here's what I'd like to see (can't say I'm familiar with most acts)

E.S.T - Fantastic scandanavian trio.
    The Skatalites - More reggae/ska but good vibes.
    REST & ZoiD - Young Dublin Jazz heads, haven't seen them but it looks pretty experimental & out there. So could be great, could be shi1te!
    Louis Stewart - Irish jazz guitar legend, you can be sure he'll have some great musicians backing him

Free:
    The Company - Dublin based band playing great upbeat jazz-funk-soul
    Skazz - Ska & Jazz, might be interesting!
    Any of the tribute bands will be good if you're into their style (Pure Madness, Carwash, The Boogie band, Moondance etc.)
    Old style swing/dixie jazz is always good for the mood of the weekend - City Jazz Swing Band, East Coast Jazz Band, Paddy Cole Allstars, Gonzo's Boogie Band
    Warlords of Pez - Not jazz, not everybodys cup of tea, but I'll go if I can, pure mentalness!

• Advertisement
Advertisement