Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Steamy!

Options
  • 08-10-2007 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭

I have a VW Passat 1.9 130BHP Highline. The air con recently went because of a hole somewhere. Getting it fixed soon when the mechanic (my bro) gets time!

Anyhu,

I used to always use the air con during the summer since I got the car. Now thats its gone I'm back to normal bog standard air controls. However the car is always fogging up. No matter what controls I set, the windows fog up. I do not have air recycling on. The only way I can defog the windows is to open a window. Any idea on this. I've read the manual and the only mention of possible fogging is when air recycling is on.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Are you sure moisture isn't getting into the car somewhere? Check the front footwells for any kind of dampness. The only other thing I can think of is a leaky heater matrix. Is the car losing any coolant?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

The care used to fog up when i had a/c turned off. I never cared cause i kept the a/c on anyway. Now that its winter i wouldnt mind turning off the a/c, throwing on the heater and heated seats and enjoying the fuel economy with no a.c turned on :)

No, it isnt losing any coolant and I did check for moisture, eg wet mats etc. Might take a close look but doubt it.

Any other ideas? Is it possible that something small like a fuse somewhere is gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I've had 3 audis now and i find that the 2 with C/C used to fog up almost immediately when switched to ECON.

I also have it switched on all the time.

The one without was always bone dry.

I'm having trouble with the aircon unit ATM and it's been on ECON for maybe a fortnight and there's no trouble with fogging up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Get a good window cleaner - no windowline - car window cleaner or use some white spirit/ petrol to clean the glass. Are you a Smoker by any chance?? smoking will leave a buid up on the windscreen unless its cleaned off the windows will fog up very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

JoeySully wrote:
    Get a good window cleaner - no windowline - car window cleaner or use some white spirit/ petrol to clean the glass. Are you a Smoker by any chance?? smoking will leave a buid up on the windscreen unless its cleaned off the windows will fog up very fast.

No, not a smoker. I usually give the car including windows a good clean nearly every week. I'll pay extra attention to the windows this time and wont use windowline and see how i get on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

JoeySully wrote:
    Get a good window cleaner - no windowline - car window cleaner or use some white spirit/ petrol to clean the glass.
    The Turtle Wax window cleaner I got looks/smells pretty much the same as Windolene TBH - it even says on the bottle it can be used on household windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Iv used aerosol cleaners before like this one
    http://www.autogeek.net/stoninglas.html

they are very effective in fact you will scare youself when driving they clean the windows so well you will think the windows are open.

Advertisement