Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volkswagen Golf Air Flow Mass Meter

Options
  • 08-10-2007 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Ya basically I got this replaced a while ago but I think it's gone again (drinking diesel, and no power) my uncle who thinks he knows a thing or two about cars said that he just bypassed his one before? I.e. he disconnected the air filter and used a make shift one that didn't go through the air flow meter?
    Surely this can't be a solution? what kind of damage would it do to the car?
    Also I have the cable to plug my laptop into it but no software? is there any freeware about for it?
    Thanks for any help you can give me
    Gary

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

GaryCocs wrote:
    Hi,
    Ya basically I got this replaced a while ago but I think it's gone again (drinking diesel, and no power) my uncle who thinks he knows a thing or two about cars said that he just bypassed his one before? I.e. he disconnected the air filter and used a make shift one that didn't go through the air flow meter?
    Surely this can't be a solution? what kind of damage would it do to the car?
    Also I have the cable to plug my laptop into it but no software? is there any freeware about for it?
    Thanks for any help you can give me
    Gary

You could just unplug the air flow meter ? Its connected to the Air filter box. See if theres any difference. It'll run rough, if not more roughly than with a dodgy MAF connected.

I have heard of K&N filters causing problems with the MAF.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Most of these are replaced with recon'd units and it's possible it's no fixed right- Check your hoses 9 times out of 10 these are split causing rough running. If it's definitely AFM, get another recon'd unit from main dealer- there only about a ton and usually there's no problems with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

So check the hose going from the engine to the AFM and from that to the air filter? (Think it's connected directly to the Airfilter)

would it come up on the onboard computer if it was dodgy?

These usually don't cause too much trouble- check the ones in or around the turbo especially.

I once had an A4 that had a split hose for a year and a half- I didn't realise i was so down on power until a few days before i sold it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Cool, I'll check em out, will the cracks be obvious or wha? (Stupid question i know) but is there a knack to checking them or do i just get a torch and have a look?

• Advertisement

I'm no expert but in my case- there was a split hose right at the top of the engine- it was as easy to get to as the dipstick.

It was probably caused by an overtightened jubilee clip, so i couldn't make out the split until it was removed.

You will probably hear a lot of escaping air/ whooshing noises. I don't believe it's too hard a problem to diagnose in general and you will probably feel a split with your fingers as easily as see it, so give all the joints a good ol' wiggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

GaryCocs wrote:
    Cool, I'll check em out, will the cracks be obvious or wha? (Stupid question i know) but is there a knack to checking them or do i just get a torch and have a look?

With the engine running, poke and move all of the rubber pipework that lets air into the engine, and listen for changes to the engine note/speed.

Try to move the pipework enough to open any cracks or splits in it, if they exist, and don't forget the underneath, and other areas that are out of sight...

Advertisement