Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wafer cup draw tomorrow

• 08-10-2007 2:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Pots (plus teams current league position and number of teams in said league):

POT 1

1. villareal (spain) 3rd/20
    2. bayern munich (germany) 1st/18
    3. az alkmaar (holland) 12th/18
    4. panathinaikos (greece) 4th/16
    5. fc basel (switz) 1st/10
    6. bordeaux (france) 4th/20
    7. bayer leverkusen (germany) 8th/18
    8. Anderlecht (belgium) 6th/18

POT 2

9. Tottenham (england) 17th/20
    10. lokomotiv moscow (russia) 6th/16
    11. zenit st petersburg (russia) 1st/16
    12. sparta prague (czech) 4th/16
    13. aek athens (greece) 1st/16
    14. hamburg (germany) 4th/18
    15. bolton (england) 19th/20
    16. austria vienna (austria) 1st/10

POT 3

17. spartak moscow (russia) 2nd/16
    18. sporting braga (portugal) 7th/16
    19. galatasaray (turkey) 1st/18
    20. getafe (spain) 19th/20
    21. athletico madrid (spain) 6th/20
    22. everton (england) 10th/20
    23. fiorentina (italy) 4th/20
    24. stade rennais (france) 5th/20

POT 4

25. hapoel tel aviv (israel) 10th/12
    26. red star belgrade (serbia) 4th/12
    27. fc copenhagen (denmark) 1st/12
    28. toulouse (france) 10th/20
    29. dinamo zagreb (croatia) 1st/12
    30. panionios (greece) 6th/16
    31. nuremburg (germany) 17th/18
    32. Mlada Boleslav (czech) 7th/16

POT 5

33. aris thessaloniki (greece) 8th/16
    34. aberdeen (scotland) 8th/12
    35. fc zurich (switz) 2nd/10
    36. ae larissa (greece) 9th/16
    37. aab aalborg (denmark) 4th/12
    38. brann bergen (norway) 1st/14
    39. elfsborg (sweden) 5th/14
    40. Helsingborg (sweden) 9th/14

English sides likely to play matchdays 1-4 as matchday 5 clashes with the Carling Cup 5th Round.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Group A
    AZ Alkmaar
    Zenit St Petersburg
    EVERTON
    Nuremburg
    Larissa

Group B
    Panathinaikos
    Lokomotiv Moscow
    Atletico Madrid
    Copenhagen
    ABERDEEN

Group C
    Villarreal
    AEK Athens
    Fiorentina
    Mlada Boleslav
    Elfsborg

Group D
    Basle
    Hamburg
    Stade Rennais
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Brann

Group E
    Bayer Leverkusen
    Sparta Prague
    Spartak Moscow
    Toulouse
    FC Zurich

Group F
    Bayern Munich
    BOLTON
    Braga
    Red Star Belgrade
    Aris Thessaloniki

Group G
    Anderlecht
    TOTTENHAM
    Getafe
    Hapoel Tel-Aviv
    Aalborg

Group H
    Bordeaux
    Austria Vienna
    Galatasaray
    Panionios
    Helsingsborgs

Very happy with Spurs' draw, away trips to Getafe and Aalborg please (Israel a bastard to get to...:D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Very nice draw for Spurs alright. On paper they're the best team in that group, but on current form who knows?!

Loke Spurs, Everton should come out on top of that if all goes according to plan.

Tougher draw for Bolton with Bayern and Red Star. I'd say they'll finsih third in that one.

Aberdeen most likely to go out but have done well to get to this stage.

Was dreading Belgrade, not the friendliest of places.

Now I'll just have to dodge the suicide bombers in Tel Aviv...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

wow...i dont think aberdeen could have got a harder group there really could they?
    Serves them right.......:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Spartak Moscow troubled Celtic more than any team have at Celtic Park in Europe since Barcelona won their 3-1. 33/1 is an excellent price on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Definitely happy with Everton's draw. We should come through that ok...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I still think it will be tough for Everton. AZ ALkamaar are a very good team and play good football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Very happy with Spurs' draw, away trips to Getafe and Aalborg please (Israel a bastard to get to...:D )

Ryanair fly to Blilund Aalborg is a bus and a train away, you can drink everywhere in Denmark.

book now

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    Ryanair fly to Blilund Aalborg is a bus and a train away, you can drink everywhere in Denmark.

book now

kdjac

Turns out we got Tel Aviv and Anderlecht away...:D

Was being quoted €800-1200 to fly ex-Dublin to Tel Aviv then found CSA flights through Prague for a bargain €350. Result!

An hour later Spurs announced they will only issue tickets to punters as part of an official club trip with flights and accommodation for "security reasons". Apparently, "we are a known Jewish Club who are likely to be travelling with many Jewish fans to Tel Aviv in Israel. As such, for some people, the match itself or our group, may be of undesirable interest" (words of a non-executive director at Spurs who Ive been e-mailing since). How them forcing club travel on us will change that I don't know...

Anyway, I'm still going, and I'll watch it in a pub over there if needs be. Shower of bastards won't grinf me down. Anyway, we've more than a few Israeli Spurs fans who are trying to get us tickets in the home end...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

How do they decide what teams play each other away? Bit of a strange system, was this always the way?

• Advertisement

How do they decide what teams play each other away? Bit of a strange system, was this always the way?

Some weird home away thing that takes into account the coca cola cup and other things.

basically a toss, shame **** all fans go to these games most will be in half empty stadiums.

kdjac

There's a defined sequence of fixtures, something along the lines of:

A vs B
    C vs D
    E don't play

And so on.

What club is club A, B, C and so on is decided by computer, based on a number of restrictions (Northern clubs cannot play at home on matchday 5, clubs that share stadiums cannot play at home on same matchday, clubs from same cities are kept apart)

It took the computer about an hour to come up with the fixtures, we think it was an Atari 2600...:D

Either that or the tapedeck on the C64 broke down.

When the draw concludes and there are 8 groups of 5 teams, a computer draw will take place to determine the fixture schedule with factors such as stadium clashes and climatic conditions (it is not possible to play in some northern countries in mid-December) taken into account. Each club plays home and away alternately in its group. The following match sequence applies:

1st match day: D v B C not playing
    E v A

2nd match day: B v E A not playing
    C v D

3rd match day: A v B D not playing
    E v C

4th match day: C v A B not playing
    D v E

5th match day: A v D E not playing
    B v C

From draws of previous years it can be found that UEFA favors a scheme where a team plays at home against the next lower ranked team, and (as a consequence) plays away against the next higher ranked team.

From the excellent Bert Kassies site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Eirebear wrote:
    wow...i dont think aberdeen could have got a harder group there really could they?
    Serves them right.......:D
    Poor Sheep. Probably not good for the co-efficient for Scottish Clubs to be honest.

Blackjack wrote:
    Poor Sheep. Probably not good for the co-efficient for Scottish Clubs to be honest.

With scotland beating france and Celtic beating milan and hibs beating rangers. i wouldnt be shocked if aberdeen got some decent results in the group.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    With scotland beating france and Celtic beating milan and hibs beating rangers. i wouldnt be shocked if aberdeen got some decent results in the group.

kdjac

To be honest I can't really see them getting past anyone bar perhaps Copenhagen. Scottish football is improving but I would not be putting performance of other teams in the League or their International side (I don't think there are any Dons on the Scottish team, could be wrong) as a guage for their chances against teams like Locomotive or Panathinaikos.

Would love for my assumption to be wrong though.

Blackjack wrote:
    To be honest I can't really see them getting past anyone bar perhaps Copenhagen. Scottish football is improving but I would not be putting performance of other teams in the League or their International side (I don't think there are any Dons on the Scottish team, could be wrong) as a guage for their chances against teams like Locomotive or Panathinaikos.

Would love for my assumption to be wrong though.
    To be honest im not entirely sure theyll even get anything from the Danes, Aberdeen are awful right now..........shame, it really is a shame.....

Gt Western road was full of them last week (who let them into glasgow?)....they really need to work on their songs. it went something like.....

Youll be watching the bill
    youll be watching the bill
    ............ and so on.

Stupid sheep can come up with plenty of songs about The Ibrox Disaster and Ian Durrants knee, but ask them to sing about euope...well i suppose they havnt been there for a while :)

Eirebear wrote:
    To be honest im not entirely sure theyll even get anything from the Danes, Aberdeen are awful right now..........shame, it really is a shame.....

Gt Western road was full of them last week (who let them into glasgow?)....they really need to work on their songs. it went something like.....

youll be watching the bill
    ............ and so on.

Stupid sheep can come up with plenty of songs about The Ibrox Disaster and Ian Durrants knee, but ask them to sing about euope...well i suppose they havnt been there for a while :)

Now, now, don't let your Bluenose vs Sheep rivalry get in the way of the greater good of Scottish Football. It may even benefit yourselves if they get more games in Europe. Apparently some people are suggesting (not you mind) that European games take a bit out of teams and makes easier pickings of them when it comes to their domestic games. ;)

For the benefit of those not in the know, Aberdeen fans have a rather absolute hatred of Rangers, so much so that they've been known to sing "we hate Rangers more than you do" to visiting Celtic fans at Pettodrie. I believe that song to be true, funnily enough.

For the record I don't condone the singing of the songs about the Ibrox disaster or any other rather distastful songs - you all know what I'm on about - that may be sung at any Football games.

Blackjack wrote:
    For the benefit of those not in the know, Aberdeen fans have a rather absolute hatred of Rangers, so much so that they've been known to sing "we hate Rangers more than you do" to visiting Celtic fans at Pettodrie. I believe that song to be true, funnily enough.

For the record I don't condone the singing of the songs about the Ibrox disaster or any other rather distastful songs - you all know what I'm on about - that may be sung at any Football games.

lol, i certainly hate aberdeen more than i hate celtic, i can honestly say that.

As for the greater good of scottish football, meh! as ive said before as long as my teams doing well i am quite happy to see everyone else doing ok.
    Once that stops happening then i hope they all get tanked...and quickly!:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement