Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surf Etiquette - coming in from side

Options
  • 08-10-2007 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

If 2 surfers are catching the same wave in the same spot and one guy decides to move along the wave in the second guys direction, should the second guy bow out and let the guy coming in take the wave?

Over the weekend on very busy surf, I was trying to get up, as I was I heard some shouting to my left, I presumed it was a surf school tutor urging the pupils to have a go on the same wave so I payed no mind, mili-seconds later after falling off I noticed another guy to my left, straight away I realized what had happened when I saw the durty look and him shouting "keep a look out", I'd gotten into his line, but there was no way for me to know unless I had been doing the safe-cross-code, what are you supposed to do?
    If he was already on the way of course I would have given way but I was trying the same thing as him, I think I had the same rights!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Gumby

sounds like you were in the wrong mate. :o

Read this
    http://www.nesurf.com/Articles/Etiquette/etiquette.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 carav

Whoever is closest to the shoulder of the wave where it's breaking has right of way. If someone is up and riding, and you're still paddling, then it's up to you to pull off. If both of you are up and riding at the same time, then again, it's whoever is nearest to the shoulder of the wave has right of way and the other should pull off. There's great info on the internet on surf etiquette, here's one link http://www.nesurf.com/Articles/Etiquette/etiquette.html.

As a beginner (sorry, not sure of your level but for anyone else), one of the things we've all failed to do starting out is to look left and right to see if you have the all clear. It's difficult to do as your concentration is usually on balance and popping up, but as a beginner it's important to start doing firstly to check that noone's board is heading for your head but also to see which way the wave is breaking so as to turn your board left or right.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

Thanks for the pointer. It's all good and well in theory though, I'll remember to do the safe-cross-code in future:D

I guess I'm surfer B::o

Surfer A is riding on the shoulder when the whitewater mometarily "catches up to him" (or he/she gets tubed), Surfer B is paddling for the wave. Surfer A has the right of way. Surfer B must not takeoff. Since there is a chance that Surfer B did not see Surfer A, Surfer A must let Surfer B know he's coming.

Advertisement