Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyres

Options
  • 08-10-2007 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120163201586

Is this a bad idea? Their rating is very high considering what they're selling is used tyres and people seem to be delighted with them.

I'm reluctant to spend the €800 odd for decent new tyres cos I usually don't keep my cars too long (1000miles on a brand new set of toyos on my last car when I sold it) and I'm not liking the idea of budget tyres.

What tread should be on these tyres when new?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

no opinions of buying used tyres off the net then?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I dunno really, it's not something i'd be keen to recommend someone else to do. I mean you'd probably be fine, but if anything were to happen to you then i'd feel awful.;)

awful happy:D :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Wouldn't see anything wrong with getting them. Just inspect them thoroughly before you get them fitted. "No repairs" doesn't necessarily mean no repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

IMO they represent poor value and anyone fitting 2nd hand tyres on their car have little respect for themselves, their passengers or other road users.

Have you considered why they might be 2nd hand...... off a crashed car maybe? Who knows what way they might be damaged.... possibly leading to failure at 100 kph.

Your call!!!

• Advertisement

OOOOOOooooohhhhHHHH!!!!:rolleyes:

'Tread carefully', might be good advice- 'your a scumbag lowlife if you fit these' is a bit over the top, isn't it?

Very reputable source by the look of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Pretty much every second hand car you buy has second hand tyres on it......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I used to put part-worn tyres on my car that came from Germany where the NCT equivalent was much stricter than here so they still had a lot of tread. Perfectly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

colm_mcm wrote:
    Pretty much every second hand car you buy has second hand tyres on it......

Brilliant reply and a very good point.

I laid out my concerns to them and this is the reply they gave. I wasn't my usual diplomatic self (:p ) and i got all my concerns across. Seem like honest brokers and with feedback of 99.8% over 2,600 sales on ebay alone, they seem to value their reputation. I was blunt enough that if it was their inclination to tell me go jump- they would have.

The bulk is probably a standard letter, though.

"I completely understand your concerns.

I cannot guarantee that all of our tyres have been removed through normal circumstances, in saying this though, i would eagerly state that as the proprietor of our business, my partner personally selects each tyre to ensure they meet our high quality standards, tyres repaired on the sidewall or which appear to have damage go straight on the scrap heap!

We highly regard our customers safety and are as honest as possible.

We use an M.O.T approved tread depth gauge to ensure accuracy and list any puncture repairs so the customer is aware exactly what they are purchasing.

I will advise you that you will find it very difficult to find part worn tyres without general wear ect and if this is what you would be expecting i would therefore advise you to buy new, even more difficult would be finding them in the condition we are able to purchase them, this is why they are slightly more expensive than some other retailers - but you have the piece of mind that you would be purchasing from a genuine, professional company who have been in the trade for over 15 years.

These tyres are not 100% perfect but are in good general condition without any damage, you will certainly get your money's worth.

I hope this information helps you make the right decision for your piece of mind.

Regards
    "

Knowing my car habits, I know the car is going to be long gone before these tyres will need changing again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement