Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 318IS timeing/chain belt?

Options
  • 08-10-2007 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hey folks
    just wondering have late ninties bmw 318s got timing belts or chains?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I was proved to be wrong about this topic on Fords the other day but E36s have chains AFAIK, mine certainly had.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Pretty sure all BMWs have had chains since after the 80s E30 3-series, so is yours an E30 or an E36 ('91-'98)?

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

Both the E30 + E36 318iS have chains.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 tazamia

cool lads thanks wasn't too sure I knew some of the Bmws had chains only making sure

Whats the story with servicing them are the a liftime job or do the have to be changed eventually?

Mines an E36

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I have the E36 6 cylinder 323i and there is no interval for the chain. Its recommened to get it changed if it starts getting noisy. I also read this in BMW car. I have 107k on my engine, and no issues since. Have a look in the thin service book near the back, it recommends there what to get done and when.

• Advertisement

If the chain starts getting noisey (put a spanner or screwdriver to the timing case and place you ear against the end to listen) then chances are its the "timing chain tensioner" that needs changing.

This is a cheap and very easy fix..

If that doesnt help then its best to change the chain along with guide rails etc...

I know a few owners who change the chain at 100k regardless of noise etc..

bucks wrote:
    Both the E30 + E36 318iS have chains.

E30 6-pots had belts, no?

unkel wrote:

Not sure unkel, was only commenting on the E30 318iS and E36 318iS as they are both chain driven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

E30s with M40 engines, in other words, '87 on, were, I thought belt driven...

E30's with timing belts are;

E30 316, 316i and 318i (not 318is)
    E30 320i, 323i, 325i (except late model 325i Sport)

• Advertisement

Ah well the details about the E30 don't matter. OP has an E36 and we all agree it has a timing chain :)

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

He said it was late 90's so it would be a chain. the M40 was fitted to the E36 up to 93 and had a belt. The OP seems to have a 318is which has the M44 engine and is chain.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

bucks wrote:
    E30's with timing belts are;

E30 316, 316i and 318i (not 318is)
    E30 320i, 323i, 325i (except late model 325i Sport)
    The late model 325i Sport still had the belt driven M20 engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mrvan

kbannon wrote: »
    The late model 325i Sport still had the belt driven M20 engine.
    the best way is to open bonnet and look at the the engine if it has a plastic cover that goes form top to bottom the the front of the engine it(it has a timing belt) and if it has what looks like steel covers it has timing chains

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

unkel wrote: »

The M20s were belt drivers, the M30's were chain driven. So as others have said, the answer can only be yes.

AFAIK the M20 and M30 are pretty similar engines apart from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

you will hear a loud hissing coming from the engine when the tensioner needs replacing, at 3.5k rpm and above - as time goes on, the revs will decrease before you will hear it

Advertisement