Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-Surge units that fit directly into main electric distribution boxes

Options
  • 08-10-2007 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭

Are there units available that can be fitted at the distribution board to do this job for the whole house, or at least the sockets circuit, rather than have one fitted to each TV/PC/AC/DVD player etc?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

yes they exist, but the ones i saw were a little bit big, i'll get you more info tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Copper

Yes, they are the size of a standard mcb, ask at any electrical wholesaler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

for basic protection you need the surge diverter at the box but you still need the surge protection at the plugs also

ok i checked with GE, thier part number is 666548

http://www.ip.alstom.com.au/Downloads/Control%20&%20Signalling%20new/Timers%20&%20Surge%20Arresters.pdf

See page 37 of the PDF. Although this is indicated as 400V I called GE directly this morning to check what the wholesaler told me and they informed me that this is what they supply to the domestic market, however I doubt that this is the case.

666537 or the 666542 are both 230Vac units and sound like a better bet,

BTW they will set you back about 100 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

davelerave wrote:
    for basic protection you need the surge diverter at the box but you still need the surge protection at the plugs also

Daveleraver: Can you explain why, as it might be just easier to fit the ones at the plugs.

Stoner ; thanks for research: much appreciated

• Advertisement

surge protection can get more complex as you examine it , there are more than one ways for a surge to become an issue.

the cause of a surge can come from different sources, and from different sides of the installation. The more effective surge protection is usually the one that is nearest to the item it is protecting.

Surges can come from a hardwired phone line into your house that has nothing to do with the power cables. There can be main power surges and surges that enter the equation through the earthing system.

Advertisement