Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Undertile Heating

Options
  • 08-10-2007 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Apologies if this is a repost, but I can't get the search function to work properly.

I will be laying tiles in the bathroom and ensuite of our new house soon and I would like to have electric undertile heating. A good builder friend advised me to stay away for Devimat as it can be troublesome. Is this correct? What other options is there. What are the experiances of others here?

Thanks
    Ciaran

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I have a couple of devimats around the place. There are two sets of problems.

1. underfloor heating generally. This isn't a problem for me, but it is for some people. Underfloor heating is not like central heating or a gas or electric fire. You can't just rev it up when you need it. This may or may not be a problem for you.

2. the devi thermostat units. I have never had a problem with a devi underfloor cable. The control units, I have had a few bumps with though. I've had to replace one of these. They can take a bit of fiddling to get working right.

Still, it is quite a clever unit and does provide even heating.

There are other brands out there, but I know absolutely nothing about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

builders themselves are usually the biggest problem when it comes to any type of under floor heating. they don't like anything that stops them from lamping holes where ever they want.

We've put in hundreds of the devi mats and I always found the guys at devi heating to be very helpful, the controllers are a little pricey though, but we have not had many call backs. We've had plenty of call backs over storage heating and general central heating timers, usually people are not used to using them, the devi controller is not a relatively troublesome unit IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Thats something that I hadn't considered. I believe the mats do not use much electricty to run, but how long do they have to be on to warm a typical bathroom/en-suite floor?
    Our house is a 3-bed semi, so the areas for the electric mat will be small enough. Probably around 4-5 sq meters. The mats seem reasonably cheap, but the controllers seem pricey. Is the automatic one better than manual?

Lots of questions, I know, but if I'm putting this stuff down, I want it right!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I'm not sure if the automatic timer is that big an advantage for a bathroom. I've never put it in a bathroom. I would be inclined to use the more expensive one because it has a floor sensor and the cheap one doesn't as I recall.

Advertisement