Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lock Advice

Options
  • 08-10-2007 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Right guys, I've got my new bike (FCR1) and seeing as my last bike went the way of some pikey who cut my (admittedly cheap) lock on O'Connell St. in the middle of the day I want to make sure my new one is less accessible.
    I've invested in a Kryptonite Evolution Mini for locking my frame to poles, with a Kryptonite looped cable passing through the wheels. Have you guys had any problems with a similar setup or what do you guys use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

To be honest, I'd say that particular cable would offer only a modicum of protection so I'd be inclined to get a heavier, less easily cut one for the frame (as well as the Evolution u-lock, obviously).

Me, I've removed the quick release skewers on my FCR3 so I wouldn't have any real need for a thin cable. I use a very heavy duty Abus lock for the frame and one of these, which passes through both frame and rear wheel:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/15382-230_KRYGG6-2-Accessories-361-Locks/Kryptonite-Gorgon-Key-Cable-Lock.htm

RtD wrote:
    Right guys, I've got my new bike (FCR1) and seeing as my last bike went the way of some pikey who cut my (admittedly cheap) lock on O'Connell St. in the middle of the day I want to make sure my new one is less accessible.
    I've invested in a Kryptonite Evolution Mini for locking my frame to poles, with a Kryptonite looped cable passing through the wheels. Have you guys had any problems with a similar setup or what do you guys use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

I have this
    http://chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8494

If you are commuting and going to the same place then just leave the lock there, a motorbike lock weighs a ton, and decent kryptonite will weigh at least 1-2kg, and as some poster once said, carrying a 2kg lock effectively turns your FCR1 into a FCR4;)

That lock is so long I can loop it through both wheels and around a lamp-post.
    I've removed the quick release skewers on my FCR3
    also makes it look like a cheaper bike.

If I am going into town I will bring my work lock down to the nearest point on that journey, i.e. down to the N11, lock it to a lamp-post, get on the way into town, then leave locked on the N11 again and pick it up on the way to work on monday.

Advertisement