Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midi

Options
  • 08-10-2007 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭

Hello there,

I bought Cakewalk studio about 2 years ago and couldn't get the keyboard to work via the midi to USB cable. Things came up in my life and getting into this took a backseat but i have recently got the 'itch' again.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how i could do this? Excellent sound quality isn't a must at this stage.

P.S. Excuse the poor presentation of this post.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

couldn't get the keyboard to work via the midi to USB cable

You'll need to elaborate.

If you open a midi file in the program does it play that back?

You need to configure your midi inputs and outputs. Check the manual/help files. Basically the midi in and out need to be enabled and configured ok. Also any tracks in your project need to be set up with the correct midi in and out.

If you enable only your keyboard as midi in and your synthesizer as midi out, everything else should work fine. What is your synth? Does the keyboard have built in sounds? Maybe your soundcard has a built in wavetable synthesizer? If so use whichever of those sounds better.

If not, you'll need to use vsti or dxi software instruments to make the noise. You'll probably prefer to use these in time anyway as they generally give you more control. Consult the manual, but basically the procedure is, assuming you have a reasonably up to date version of the prog:

Insert soft synth (tell it to add a midi channel and first audio output in the dialog box)
    Click on the midi track. Play - you should hear something. If not, mMake sure that the input is your keyboard, and the output is your softsynth. Choose a bank (if available) and choose a patch (if you dont see patch names in cakewalks dropdown list, you need to choose the patch from inside the softsynth).

Advertisement