Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Caps Fixed Line Or Cable

Options
  • 08-10-2007 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

I'm have a Breeze 3mbps sdsl connection with Irish Broadband at the moment but I'm going to be moving soon and although I'll still be living in Dublin city I'm worried that for whatever reason I won't be able to get it at my new address. Although many people have problems with IBB and I did in the start I'd be happy to continue receiving their service if possible but if I can't I wonder is there still not any no caps service providers for fixed line or cable and if not is there any sign of this happening soon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Smart Telecom offer a no cap service

I believe UTV does as well for an extra monthly fee

No cable operator in Dublin offers a no cap service AFAIK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

When you say you have Breeze and SDSL, do you realise these are two different services? Breeze is IBB's FWA service. SDSL is broadband over phone line, and you probably don't have that but ADSL, unless you're paying hundreds a month for it. I don't think IBB offer SDSL anyway.

If you have ADSL, then if you can't get that with IBB at your new address you won't be able to get it with anyone else either as it's all eircom broadband, except Smart.

IBB DSL products have no cap so if the line is capable then go with them if you can't get Smart Telecom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

jor el wrote:
    When you say you have Breeze and SDSL, do you realise these are two different services?

Where exactly does the OP mention SDSL? Breeze is symmetrical yes...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The OP calls Breeze, SDSL. Breeze is symetrical, but isn't remotely DSL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 warriorpoetic

Smart or IBB it is - I'll research both of the connections and see which would suit me best.

I thought it was called SDSL because it's symetrical but DSL is only over the phoneline I guess. Is all Fixed Wireless Access symetrical or would could you call it SFWA? Also does anyone know if this is just a powersupply that the cable coming from the roof runs into and then spits out another cable going into my NIC? When I'm talking to people online and they ask me what router I have I'm lost for words and try to explain to them I don't think I have one and that the only thing connected directly to the line apart from my NIC is a power supply.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

carbsy wrote:
    Where exactly does the OP mention SDSL? Breeze is symmetrical yes...
    The sixth word of his first sentence.
    Is all Fixed Wireless Access symetrical
    Breeze is unique in that respect as it's pretty much the only synchronous wireless service. In fact the majority of all broadband services are asynchronous.
    Also does anyone know if this is just a powersupply that the cable coming from the roof runs into and then spits out another cable going into my NIC? When I'm talking to people online and they ask me what router I have I'm lost for words and try to explain to them I don't think I have one and that the only thing connected directly to the line apart from my NIC is a power supply.
    Yeah, there is no router in the Breeze kit, it's basically a bridge. You can add a router to it (to give yourself wireless connectivity) but it's not necessary. With Breeze you're PC gets a public IP address, whereas with other broadband (DSL) the router takes the public IP and gives out a local address (192.168.1.2 for example) to the PC connected to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

jor el wrote:
    Breeze is unique in that respect as it's pretty much the only synchronous wireless service. In fact the majority of all broadband services are asynchronous.

Not true, if you look Ireland wide, but if you limit your view to Dublin, it might.
    jor el wrote:
    Yeah, there is no router in the Breeze kit, it's basically a bridge. You can add a router to it (to give yourself wireless connectivity) but it's not necessary. With Breeze you're PC gets a public IP address, whereas with other broadband (DSL) the router takes the public IP and gives out a local address (192.168.1.2 for example) to the PC connected to it.

Again, that's down to the configuration of your router. Most of the routers you can configure to bridge mode and run the PPPoE session from a PC inside the network. If we're talking Magnet, they can deliver the router as bridge. And well, NTL's cablemodem is bridged, too.

/Martin

Advertisement