Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mercedes C280 Sport Question ?

Options
  • 08-10-2007 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

I have a 1995 C280 Sport which has had a new catalytic converter fitted last week.This week the car seems to be "misfiring" and actually stalled a couple of times on me as I was about to take off - especially against a hill in traffic where I may have been accelerating a bit more than usual.

It also seems to get an occasional surge of power when driving along a normal road at the speed limit - somewhat like when you put a vehicle on cruise control.

Any of your suggestions as to what's causing these problems would be much appreciated. :confused:

Regards,

Chevy RV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

oxygen sensor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nice car! I'm wondering about the o2 sensor, did it get borked during the work on the exhuast.

(Beaten to it!)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Not what your wallet wants to hear but, fuel injectors?

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

unusual that it happened just after the cat was replaced. I'm thinking it had to be related.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Might it be that an incorrect or damaged cat was fitted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Chevy RV

Thanks for the advice folks !

Now my problem seems to have changed slightly. I brought the car back to the mechanic who said some "wire looms" had fused together. He reckoned that he repaired and cleaned up these an the car went much better for a few days.

Yesterday however, I noticed as I slowed down through a small village and then accelerated out of it up a slight hill that the car sounded like if it had dirty petrol in it - sort of spluttered and then backfired. Before it turns into a Trotters Independent Traders type vehicle,can anybody out there hazard a guess as to what may be causing these type problems ?

Many thanks for your helpful suggestions.

Regards,

Chevy RV

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I had a C280 Elegance giving me the exact same symptoms. Turned out to be the MAF sensor. Cost €400, very easy to fit, the car ran perfectly afterwards. Some months later, I saw one on eBay for less than €200.

Anan1 wrote: »
    I had a C280 Elegance giving me the exact same symptoms. Turned out to be the MAF sensor. Cost €400, very easy to fit, the car ran perfectly afterwards. Some months later, I saw one on eBay for less than €200.

Did your car make a kind of "backfire" type of sound as you accelerated ? If it did,then it definitely sounds like the same problem. I rang GSK who quoted around €300 + VAT for it but would you by any chance have the details of the one on e-bay who supplies them cheaper ?

Is MAF sensor the same as an air flow sensor - sorry but I am not very technical about cars.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Regards,

Chevy RV

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Chevy RV wrote: »
    Did your car make a kind of "backfire" type of sound as you accelerated ? If it did,then it definitely sounds like the same problem. I rang GSK who quoted around €300 + VAT for it but would you by any chance have the details of the one on e-bay who supplies them cheaper ?

Is MAF sensor the same as an air flow sensor - sorry but I am not very technical about cars.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Regards,

Chevy RV

.......yes its the same thing, and most likely your problem too !

Search around before buying, they vary wildly in price !

Also some of these cars suffer from damage to the wiring loom insulation across the top of the engine to the coils, which causes misfiring !

Could dirty petrol cause the "backfire" problem ?

Regards,

Chevy RV:confused:

• Advertisement

Chevy RV wrote: »

I have a 1995 C280 Sport which has had a new catalytic converter fitted last week.This week the car seems to be "misfiring" and actually stalled a couple of times on me as I was about to take off - especially against a hill in traffic where I may have been accelerating a bit more than usual.

It also seems to get an occasional surge of power when driving along a normal road at the speed limit - somewhat like when you put a vehicle on cruise control.

Any of your suggestions as to what's causing these problems would be much appreciated. :confused:

Regards,

Chevy RV

I have had the car brought to a main dealer who ran diagnostics and said the Lambda Sensor is damaged. Could that be right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

ya, your o2 is def stuffed, dont bother getting one of the dealers, source one your selfoff the net or get an independant to do it for you, should be half the price. If you capable at all you could fit it youself too.

I have already changed the air flow meter too as I thought that was the problem but |It wasn't

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

Hi Chevy

There's a possibilty that some of the cat may have been sucked into the engine, I'd get it checked out. Personally I use a guy in Synge Lane called Seamus Mulligan, dead sound and does a good job. The problems do sound like maf/mas but as you've had that changed I'd get it on a STAR and see what the computer says.

nialler wrote: »
    Hi Chevy

There's a possibilty that some of the cat may have been sucked into the engine, I'd get it checked out. Personally I use a guy in Synge Lane called Seamus Mulligan, dead sound and does a good job. The problems do sound like maf/mas but as you've had that changed I'd get it on a STAR and see what the computer says.

The main stealers diagnostics said that there was a fault on Lambna No. 2 probe which would not erase. He also said that they checked the wiring loom and that it had been tampered with by the guy that fitted the CAT for me i assume they meant .

Could the guy you described sort out these problems and does he have a contact number as I will be in Dublin on Wednesday.

Help urgently required before I go for the Nuclear option. The car is driving me spare !!!:confused:

Advertisement