Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equipment using the 5GHz band

Options
  • 08-10-2007 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Does anyone know what equipment is using the 5GHz band, I know this is the license exempt band but I am having serious interference on my IBB Breeze connection. Is anyone else experiencing such problems around the Tallaght area? I am thinking this is a wireless CCTV or something along those lines as the problem seems to go away outside of normal business hours (9-5).

Anyone any ideas. Is there a way to stop this from happening? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

What makes you think its interference?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pedropumpalot

Well I am assuming its interference as it cant be hardware, because if it was then it would be fecked all the time and not just intermittent. Am I correct in assuming this?

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭The Fool

What did customer service say? Get them to check your SNR (signal to noise)a couple of times during the day when it's a problem and compare it to when it's good. If it is interferance cutomer unit can be tweaked to a slightly different frequency

If you're using a router check your stats on crc errors, resends ect.

From day to day the SNR's fluctuate from 30 down to 10 so there is something there that is raising the noise floor up about 20dB. Sometimes the retransmits are as high as 100% :eek:

From day to day the SNR's fluctuate from 30 down to 10 so there is something there that is raising the noise floor up about 20dB. Sometimes the retransmits are as high as 100% :eek:

Hmm thats interesting. Is it IBB's 5.8G product or the 3.5G you are using?
    Is the aerial diamond shaped or rectangular?

• Advertisement

Yeah its the 5.8GHz radio I have, I dont know if that makes a difference though :confused:

Yeah its the 5.8GHz radio I have, I dont know if that makes a difference though :confused:
    If it were the 3.5Ghz radio it would be unlikely to be interference. However, 5.8 it is possible as these days 5.8 is becoming conjested. Ice Broadband certainly dont help by using Motorola equipment for their backhaul which uses up nearly all the spectrum just to maintain a connection for itself. There is now 5.8G dect phones on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

IBB is 5Ghz but they drop your connection speed during 9-5 so that businesses get "better/usable" speeds (this has been conformed from IBB, I was on the businesses account)

Advertisement