Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name of business in 70s

Options
  • 08-10-2007 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

HI
    I hope someone can help me but I am trying to find someone who worked in a health studio (as it was called then) in Dublin City in the 70s I believe between 1972 and73.
    As far as I was told there was only 1 known gym in Dublin then as they were obviously not popular nor could anyone afford them,
    I don't know the name of the person I am looking for (long story) but I know they worked in this health studio. I believe it may have been on Dame Street. If anyone doesn't know the name of it could they point me in the right direction

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Contact the Gilbert Library.
    If you ask nicely and they are not too busy, they might lookup an old street directory and give you the name of the business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭DennisSabre

Could it have been the St. George on South Great Greorge's St. ? I think the old sign is still over the door (beside Decwells hardware store). I'll check tomorrow and let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Could it have been the St. George on South Great Greorge's St. ? I think the old sign is still over the door

Only if you translate 70's gym as gay sauna :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭trixy

Thanks guys, you are a great help. I know for a fact he was not batting for the other team but very interesting lol.
    I would assume thats the name of it as anyone I know (older generation) said they never heard of gyms etc in Dublin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Could that have been the Moulin Rouge which opened in Sth. Gt. Georges St. ?

It had a "beat club" and a fitness centre. I think it might have been first to have saunas in Dublin.

• Advertisement
Advertisement