Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

360 or ps3?

Options
  • 08-10-2007 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

I know its a common thing to post about but which one would be the best choice? I plan on getting one but this is wreaking my head! I know they share most the same games(well certain ones) but i still dont know what one choose especially since they are making the 40gb ps3(im not too shoved about the bc issue) which is cheaper which makes me want to get a ps3 but i want an xbox because i heard the online is better but one thing that doesent make me want one is the over heating issue because i dont plan on returning it several times because of this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

I got a 360 when it came out and I was gonna get a PS3 anyway but it's not all it's hyped up to be at all. Very happy with my 360 as it has the best games and great online play with plenty of demos/vids etc to keep you tickin over if you get bored of the games you have.

The only real game I was gonna get PS3 for was Ninja Gaiden but they're making a proper sequel for 360 now so changed my mind altogether.

PS: I've never had any problems with mine and I'd imagine it's the earliest model as I got it on day of release.

Oh yeah, make sure you get HDTV or you won't enjoy either of them properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think the 360 is really the only option. Better online service and a much, much better game selection are pretty much all that matters (for me at least).

The PS3 looks like having some good games next year but until now the likes of Lair, Heavenly Sword and Resistance are strictly second rate when compared to the 360's line-up.

Having said that I'll be buying a PS3 this week. Sony's decision to drop backwards compatability from all future consoles has pretty much forced my hand. I know I'll want a PS3 in the future - when the likes of FFXIII and White Knight Story appear - and by then all that will be available will be the gimped consoles.

The new 360s also use a redisgned, small CPU that prevents the over-heating issues seen with launch machines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭killyoutodeath

well i was planning on getting an elite if i was to get a 360 but where would be the best shop to buy one? i seen a pretty good one in virgin for 440 euro but it was sold out:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

AFAIK, the expensive PS3 versions are keeping the backwards compatibility? I never saw a plan to drop it fully. Of course it's funny that Sony has gone further than than MS in the lack of BC it provides, I doubt anyone expected that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Oman

the 360 is the best option. its cheaper as good graphic wise and has the same and more games. the blue-ray is a waste of time and everything else is aswell also the online is much better on 360

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

how much dearer is the elite? and is it worth it if hdmi is now on premiums?(if hdmi was a plus for you)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

astrofool wrote:
    AFAIK, the expensive PS3 versions are keeping the backwards compatibility? I never saw a plan to drop it fully. Of course it's funny that Sony has gone further than than MS in the lack of BC it provides, I doubt anyone expected that.

Yeah but the more expensive 60gb versions are being phased out. After the current batch is gone, there will be no more, leaving us with just the choice of the non-backward compatable 40gb version.

ok 360 for me:D also do you need a credit card for the xbox online service like the ps3:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

used to need a credit card for setup of live on the original xbox not sure about 360 i just transferred mine over...so id hazard a yes!!

Oman wrote:
    the blue-ray is a waste of time and everything else is aswell
    I couldn't disagree with you more. How is blu ray a waste of time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

ok 360 for me:D also do you need a credit card for the xbox online service like the ps3:confused:

No, you can buy 1,3 or 12 month subscriptions in bricks and mortars stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I couldn't disagree with you more. How is blu ray a waste of time?
    Have to partially agree with him HD movies are no where near the jump they are hyped to be over upscaled DVD and certainly something I wouldn't bother paying the extra for at current prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I've had both since their respective launches, get the 360.
    Bigger selection of games, games tend to come out first on the
    360 and are cheaper due to the fact you can easily pick up the
    region free titles from play-asia and suchlike. I rarely spend more than
    40-45 euro for a new 360 game whereas a PS3 game can be twice that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I've had both since their respective launches, get the 360.
    Bigger selection of games, games tend to come out first on the
    360 and are cheaper due to the fact you can easily pick up the
    region free titles from play-asia and suchlike. I rarely spend more than
    40-45 euro for a new 360 game whereas a PS3 game can be twice that.

How bizarre. You know ALL PS3 games are region free right? And only some 360 games are? So I'm not sure how that is an argument at all. I'm aware Play-Asia don't sell Sony stuff, but there's plenty of other sites that do.

Anyway, to the OP, whatever you do don't get the 40 gig PS3. You'd be ruling yourself out from playing some of the best games of all time on it. The PS2 back catalogue is better than the 360, PS3 and Wii catalogues put together, and the 60GB PS3 does a great job of upscaling the graphics and is compatible with practically every game that matters - you'd be insane to miss out on that.

As for online, the 360 doesn't have a better online service, just a more expensive one and a bigger selection of online games. I've had no trouble playing PS3 games online (the big difference is that practically nobody has headsets - this means if you're into tactical FPS team games then you may prefer Xbox, but if you're into sports and driving games like me then it's a god send because you never get the tirade of childish insults from American teenagers that dominates xbox live), and the PS3 has a far superior collection of downloadable games on its online marketplace (actual quality original games, rather than rereleases of 20 year old games)

The 360 has a better line up of games right now, but 95% of the best games are multiplatform, and looking to next year the PS3 has a huge list of must have exclusives coming. The PS3 is also vastly superior hardware (silent running, reliable, doesn't scratch discs) - so if I had to choose one it would be the PS3. They're both great consoles overall though so you wouldn't be disappointed with either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Sounds like someone is a fanboy? ;)
    Honestly, backward compatibility? Pick up a ps2 for pittance.

The 60gb backward compatible versions are being phased out, according to the other similar thread here in the games forum and the current selection for the XBox is of a way higher standard than the PS3.

Yes, Sony may pull it all out of their collective ass come 2008 but I would very much expect a price drop again, in January/February 2008.

Sony know they are losing and will fight tooth and nail to stay in the market, that can only mean cheaper prices for us :D

Personally, I bought a Wii last christmas and I have had some great times. Thinking about picking up a 360 at the moment, in the next few months, but I'll see how the whole sony thing goes.

But honestly, if you guys are going to help shape the choices people make on their consoles by using words like "region free games" ye really should post ye're sources...

As for must have exclusives, I think all sides have a fair selection of those and I personally dont think that is going to be the deciding factor for which console to buy as the majority of gamers these days ultimately intend on buying all consoles at some point, at least I know I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I have to agree with Ivan, who cares about backwards compatibility?
    I haven't put one Xbox game into my 360 or turned on my original Xbox or PS2 since I've bought my 360.
    It seems Sony think the same.

Regarding the online service, even Sony admit that Xbox Live is a better service. If you don't want to hear people when playing certain games, just mute?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I Plan on buying one of the said consoles,but am to very confused as to which one to buy,Im being swayed in the direction of the ps3 though purely for metal gear solid 4 :D IS that coming out on the xbox 360 as well by any chance?and then theres FFXIII :D Decisions descions :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

i own a ps3 and a 360.
    Currently, the most action my ps3 sees is the never ending game of 'see how much dust it can gather in between me playing it'. Currently its got a massive layer of dust on it and looks like itll be a new high score, so yay ps3!
    On the other hand, my 360 is rarely even turned off. Its a great console with a great online service, and at the moment, until the ps3 pulls its socks up, theres no competition for it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

steviec wrote:
    As for online, the 360 doesn't have a better online service, just a more expensive one and a bigger selection of online games. I've had no trouble playing PS3 games online (the big difference is that practically nobody has headsets - this means if you're into tactical FPS team games then you may prefer Xbox, but if you're into sports and driving games like me then it's a god send because you never get the tirade of childish insults from American teenagers that dominates xbox live), and the PS3 has a far superior collection of downloadable games on its online marketplace (actual quality original games, rather than rereleases of 20 year old games)
    I'm sorry, but the PS3 online network is nowhere near as good as Live! The only thing it has going for it is its free (afaik). For 6.99 a month (or there abouts) for Live! you get a far better setup. Live! is pretty much why i bought the 360 (plus the insane asking price for the PS3 when i got it)

And there's plenty of childish insults traded on any online game/service...just try playing Warcraft :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

I love my PS3. But I didn't buy a console since the N64! I guess I partially based my decision on the fact that Sony won that war - by producing really great games. I think that the same will happen with the PS3, even if it takes a little while to build up a decent back-catalogue of first-rate games.

I think what'll make things interesting is the exclusiveness of various franchises. X Box has Halo, Playstation has Metal Gear. Quite the clash of the titans.I guess time will tell.

Though I do I like having blu-ray.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Can you play the ps1 games and ps2 games on the ps3?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They can play PS1 games but the new 40GB consoles won't have PS2 backwards compatibility.

oh **** i better get a 60gb one so :O When are these 40gb ones out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 m176244

Can you play the ps1 games and ps2 games on the ps3?

You can play a broad range of psone games and a fair few ps2 games on the ps3 machine but not all games are compatible on the 60GB.The American and Japanese ps3's are fully compatible of course were in Europe so we get the short stick and they yanked out the Emotion Chip in the European consoles to cut their production costs.With each firmware update to the ps3 they add more games to the compatibility list so its not as bad.

I personally prefer the ps3 to the 360 because of the blu-ray player and with the release of some really great games next year,don't get me wrong I really like the 360 (Halo 3 = Awesome) the only part that had put me off buying a 360 were the constant complaints of the overheating and red rings of death.

oh **** i better get a 60gb one so :O When are these 40gb ones out?

tomorrow apparantly

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The only way to decide what you want is to look at the games available and ask yourself what do you want to play more?

My bro-in-law has a 360, like I do, since launch and never really played it aside from a spot of Ghost Recon and COD2 and has convinced himself that its the Xbox at fault, that MS made a crap console and he should have bought a PS3, not really realising that the same stuff is there too.
    It's like the grass is always greener, you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    The only way to decide what you want is to look at the games available and ask yourself what do you want to play more?

My bro-in-law has a 360, like I do, since launch and never really played it aside from a spot of Ghost Recon and COD2 and has convinced himself that its the Xbox at fault, that MS made a crap console and he should have bought a PS3, not really realising that the same stuff is there too.
    It's like the grass is always greener, you know?

Yeah I mean titles common to both look and play almost identically.

Advertisement