Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

my focus is actin weird

Options
  • 08-10-2007 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

hi guys n gals, i dunno if this is the appropriate board for this query but ill give it a go anyway.
    ok heres the thing i was driving along today n when i went to slow down i put my foot on the clutch, now instead of the revs goin down they went up n my car started to sound like it was racing.
    note that i had not changed down gears so that wasnt the reason.
    so i tested it out. i was driving along at 100kmph n said id do a test so i took my foot off the accelerator n pressed the clutch n as i expected the revs went straight up.
    anyone shine some light on my problem before i go see a ridiculously overpriced mechanic.

is my clutch goin or is the problem a bit more complicated?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Def not the clutch. Sounds like a sensor is gone. Tho which one I don't know... could be any one of a number.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

wouldn't be just a sticking accelerator cable??? Does it reduce after a minute??

Most cars will increase a little from idle speed when "coasting" to power your steering etc as the engine mgt system senses the load on the engine but it shouldn't be 'racing'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I had similar problems with an old Mondeo 1.8 petrol (96 vintage). Car would be fine after startup, but after a long motorway journey it decided it wanted to idle at approx. 3500rpm. It either eventually sorted itself out, or it could have been the Lambda Sensor. Lambda Sensors was hanging off in the engine bay until the car failed it's NCT and the dealer I bought it off had to change the exhaust and fixed the Lambda.

Maybe take a quick look to see if there is anything loose in the engine bay.

Advertisement