Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grade 8 Classical Guitar Pieces

• 08-10-2007 9:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭

Basically looking for a list of examples of these pieces,
    not having much look scouring the interweb.

Would anybody be able to help out?
    Cheers:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Are you looking for examples of pieces that are on the syllabus or ones of that standard or particular pieces or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Are you grade 8 sumguy? I don't even know how many grades there are, I didn't even know there were grades, thought that was only piano:o

I love this one, it's impossible for me but I'm not sure what grade it would be in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Most of the pieces are copyright .. so you will find it difficult to get them all. You also have to consider that you may get a different arrangement. You would be better off to buy a CD of the pieces from the examination board you are sitting with. That way you will get to hear the exact dynamics that they require - which accounts for a lot of the marks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

cormie wrote: »
    Are you grade 8 sumguy? I don't even know how many grades there are, I didn't even know there were grades, thought that was only piano:o

I love this one, it's impossible for me but I'm not sure what grade it would be in?

That would probably be grade 6/7.. it's not that tough

The following would be grade 8/diploma/concert piecies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XQ-XifFZL0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oqZ-17m-qU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJBprTUtqXo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4k08OD8lW8&feature=related

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭Music4life

Your man Jerome Ducharme in the second video was unbelivable that has to be well beyond grade 8:).Keep it coming with the links there crazy:D.Does any know the difference between the Trinity College London grades and the Irish royal acdemy(I think its called that) ones.I was told to have Grade 6 Irish acdemy and grade 4 sight reading for Cork school of Music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 gizzemoto

Check out any of these guys
    PACO DE LUCIA
    John McLaughlin
    AL DI MEOLA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cadbYIzhqQ aLL brill in there own right
    and lastly rodrigo y gabriela
    Lastly, Enjoy

Music4life wrote: »
    Your man Jerome Ducharme in the second video was unbelivable that has to be well beyond grade 8:).Keep it coming with the links there crazy:D.Does any know the difference between the Trinity College London grades and the Irish royal acdemy(I think its called that) ones.I was told to have Grade 6 Irish acdemy and grade 4 sight reading for Cork school of Music.

Trinity Grades don't have any theory exams associated with them. I don't think that is particularly good if you intend to teach. I also don't think much of their technical development - a couple of ligados, arpegios and chromatic scales at grade 6 isn't going to make for a very agile player.

I think Associated Board are supposed to be better for the reason stipulated above. But the standard of playing in Trinity is "supposed" to be better. Ahhhh I dunno - who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Ive done the trinity exam for grade 8 on guitar. Tbh, trinity will get you to a pretty damn good standard. You learn scales 2/3 ocataves, arpeggios 2/3 octaves, major and minor 3rds scales, a chromatic 3 octaves. You can choose, so far as I can recall, between learning more scales (of which there are many), or doing a technical development piece, which is usually hard and involves modern techniques, gulping on wood, harmonics, weird time signature changes etc. The pieces themselves at that level are quite demanding. Theory is incorporated into the listening test, you have to note specific musical features using terminology and identifying changes when its played again. Overall its a demanding grade, the pass rate is 66%.

Ya Id Say ill Learn the Associated Board For Cit Music.Associated Board Grade 6 is like Trinities grade 8 from what i hear.Does anyone know where I could get the book for the Associated Board?

• Advertisement

Music4life wrote: »
    the Associated Board For Cit Music.Associated Board Grade 6 is like Trinities grade 8

Really!! Interesting! I had heard the standard was higher but thats mad altogether.

Ya thats what I was told.It was probably overreacted.:pac:

Could very well be true. I have a vague recollection many moons ago of a piano teacher telling me Associated Board was higher standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Associate boards was of a higher standard but they're relatively equal now in terms of standard

Anywho does anyone nowhere I can get the associated boards books anywhere?:D

Advertisement