Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How hot should hot water be?

Options
  • 08-10-2007 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

(1) How hot should the water be coming from the hot tap?
    A mixer valve was fitted to my cylinder and it has a max. outlet temp. of 50 degrees. I am not sure if max. temp. has been reached any time I tested it (not back in house yet) but so far the water feels like it could probably be a bit hotter.

(2)
    Can anybody recommend which type of mixer valve I should use if replacing the present one (it seems to be fairly basic, requiring a nut to be adjusted to change the setting).

Any suggestions appreciated,
    Jim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

A minimum of 63 degrees in the hot water tank to reduce the possibility of legionaries disease existing.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭JimiMac

Thanks for the reply,
    I would have thought about 60 for the taps as well.
    Do you think 50 degrees would be hot enough (for showers also).

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭maniac101

Legionella is only a concern in the tank, where a temp of 60 degrees is advisable. However, temp of 60 degrees after the mixing valve is way too hot in my view. The temperature in my system is set to 42 deg after the mixing valve and is more than adequate, (the temperature in the tank is 60 degrees). The ideal temperature for a shower is around 38 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭JimiMac

maniac101 wrote:
    Legionella is only a concern in the tank, where a temp of 60 degrees is advisable. However, temp of 60 degrees after the mixing valve is way too hot in my view. The temperature in my system is set to 42 deg after the mixing valve and is more than adequate, (the temperature in the tank is 60 degrees). The ideal temperature for a shower is around 38 degrees.

Thanks maniac
    Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Could it be that the cold feed has more pressure than the hot one and so you are getting more cold water and thus lowering the temp?

• Advertisement
Advertisement