Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The big Amsterdam thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

BJC wrote: »
    Hey all, going this summer..good spots..? (excluding the red light district, we're all WELL aware of that)
    `

Leidseplein! It's the nightlife hotspot of Centraal. It's about 20 minute walk from the RLD, and has a huge selection of clubs, coffeeshops and live music.

One place to look out for is The Waterhole, 1 euro cover charge, and live music most nights of the week. Opens late 7 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

I Lived over Cafe de waard which is facing The watering hole, and i agree its an amazing spot, they play live music every night and its a euro to get in.
    20 secs walk from there is ''the sugar factory'' which is a very good night club, theres always top djs playin house music there which naked women on the big screens and people up on some sort of stage dancing.

You won't be able to get into half of the places without a dutch person or a girl with you. i got into a few of the exclusive/vip clubs over there and its an amazing place. also ESCAPE is a must , its over by rembrantplein and its probably the best club for you and the lads to get into. its very big and they allow Tourists in and you can smoke all the green stuff you want.always have top DJS .

MELKWEG AND Paradiso are also good places to go but they have different music every night and paradiso would be about 1500 capacity and melkweg 5000+

Justice etc were playin when i was there.

Theres a few cool bars here and there too, try the cocktail bar down from the burger king on leideplein.

best coffeeshop to go to : Greenhouse/Barneys/Rokerij/Damp ring(where oceans 11/12? part was filmed)

are ye staying in a hostel over there? if you haven't booked already try Bobs hostel, i spent 3 weeks there and i met some amazing people there and the staff are so cool.

places to eat : try WOK TO WALK its about 5.50e for a big box of stir fry take away and its so so nice. also remember the Mayonaise they have over there is horrible. they never had helmans when i was there.

trams are cheap enough but make sure you have change.

The red girls ;) : the hotter girls will always be about 50e for 20 mins( they will try their best to make it as fast as possible, its very business like, i wouldn't really recommend it, you won't feel too happy after it.the the older or not as hot girls would be around 20-30e for 30 mins or so and are more calm about it. i spent alot of time walkin through or past the RLD and talked to lots of people and thats how i know :P , Herpes? no thanks!

its a very safe city no matter what GUIDES and websites etc tell you. i lived and worked there for months so i know. if you're going in the summer head off to the Vondelpark(massive park) and bring a football or something, you will really enjoy it, everybody is just sitting around drinking or smoking and playin football or some sports . lots of wildlife there too, parrots swans ducks etc. nice play to chill (or go on shrooms which are legal there)

anyways i hope this has helped. let me know if you want to know anything else about the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I was there 2 years ago, stayed in a hostel but can't remember name, was very basic though. Some suggestions
    Heineken experience was really good http://www.heinekenexperience.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 rappp attackkk

i stayed at the hans brinker hostel a few years ago.. great laugh. not expensive and they have a bar in the hostel too. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

joints,booze,brazzers etc etc doesnt have to be in that order either :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Koushki

Me and my boyfriend literally just got back from amsterdam, we stayed in a crap budget hotel called ''Hotel My Home'' which wasn't amazing, but it was only a five minute walk from central station and if you've got a student budget i'd say it would come in handy.
    And then the usually carry on ...Joints, mushrooms, booze...
    Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭penguinpoppers

There is no competition. Go to ''the flying pig'' downtown. There website is www.flyingpig.nl

But if theres a group of ye as in 4-8 id recommend looking into an apartment. just google ''amsterdam apartments'' and you'll find something good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

Any recommendations for a decent central hotel for someone willing to pay a bit extra?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Aligator Farmer

The wife and I stayed in the Leidse Square Hotel this time last year. About a twenty minute walk from the station, straight through the centre.
    Its very close to the leidseplein, which has lots of bars, restaurants etc.., but is slightly less hectic than other parts.
    Beatiful park nearby to walk off your hangover.
    Several friends have stayed there too, I think the cheapest deals are through venere.com.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭TriciaDelicia

was there last month stayed in the quentin arrive it was €250 for 3 nights 4the two of us only 2 minutes from central station
    If your looking for somewhere more expensive try the tulip inn its very central also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

Think I'll go with the Tulip; someone else mentioned that name to me also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

i stayed at the hans brinker hostel a few years ago.. great laugh. not expensive and they have a bar in the hostel too. :cool:

Yep they have happy hour 3 quid for two pints of Heineken and the night club has a stripper pole. If all your planning on using the hostel for is sleepin then the hans brinker hostel is probably your best bet its really cheap and all the staff are dead on.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭penguinpoppers

I didnt link this apartment in my last post because I hadnt booked it yet.
    Now between the 14-17th of Dec ill be there.....hell yes.
    Its for 6/7 people,u can smoke in it,its VERY central(but not red light).
    Just check it out.

Look at the others on the site if u've got 3/4 people or 7/8 people.
    Hope it helps.

www.amsterdamcentralbedandbreakfast.nl/apartment-warmoes1.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

I was there two weeks ago, and spent about 400 euro in 4 nights/5 days. Drinks can be horrendously (ie like Dublin) expensive, up to 5.50 a pint. Places like the Rijksmuseum and Anne Frank house cost about 17 or 18 euro. I wasn't smoking, but spacecakes generall cost about 3 or 4 euro. A tram ticket that works for about 10 journeys costs 8 euro. Hope this helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭rizzla

For €35 you can get a 2 course meal and a comedy improv show at the Boom Chicago. Thought it was really funny and the food wasn't bad. They have some vids up on their site yu could check out if your into their humour.

A Canal trip is €10-€15 and really good I think.

Also, I really like the Nemo science centre, but I'm a bit nerdy/curious about how everything works. It's in a really cool looking building too.

Overall I'd say bring around €400 spending money with ya. Food and drink is just as pricey there as it is here. Also, if you like your green try stay out of most of the touristy coffeeshops they really do over charge and it's not top quality stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Take a dump in the main square, blame it on 'the mushrooms', kiss a policeman

free

And for everything else, like bail etc, theres MasterCard :D

Was in The Dam many moons ago and actually booked a trip for herself and meself in May. Last time I was there was for a football match so the touristy things all involved beer and football :P Do they still have the open air urinals along the street
    (... at least I thought they were open air urinials)

Hoping to do a lot more sightseeing etc and Canal trip could be nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

A nice hooker will cost around €50.00 but haggling can work..:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I was there in December. Went on Saturday evening, came back Monday evening, spent around €450 (not including accommodation). Basically spent on food and drink. Thought it was very expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Get off the main areas for Food as its well over priced.

The Steak Houses called Rancho's are great and priced very well. There is alot of good places to eat and drink around Leidseplein. If you find Cafe Alto, keep it on your left and head down that road away from Leidseplein. Great Italian place to eat at on the next left turn. I think its on Speigelgracht st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Hi, I've been to Amsterdam 4 times. I love the city. As mentioned, get away from the main tourist traps with resturants and pubs. There are some excellent local pubs with the best beer you can drink. Head down to the Leidesplien and find a bar called The Waterhole. Excellent for live rock bands. Brilliant craic with a types of people, not just dutch.
    For a real local experience go to the pub opposite Rembrandt corner, past where the market is. The pub is tilted at a 30 degree angle and is below waterlevel!! Drink different beers like, Palm, Westmalte, Juipler, Duval, Hoegarrden, Canon, etc. Nicest dutch, german beers you'll ever drink.

Shopping is the same as here, price wise. Leather is alot cheaper. If you're in the hunt for a leather item. Check out the floating Chinese resturant past Central Station. Nice experience. http://www.seapalace.nl//index.php?vermouth=home&lang=en

Italian food. http://www.restaurant-incanto.nl/ I took my fiancee here when I proposed to her earlier in the day. Get a window view. Beautiful.

Other resturants can be found at http://www.iens.nl/

For sex shows, go to Casa Rossa and the Banana Bar.

And of course if you're diamond shopping. :Dhttp://www.costerdiamonds.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MrMiyagi

Hello

If you are in Amsterdam make sure to go to the library.

Its on the left across from the train station

You can get free internet there and its a cool building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Horno

Spent 5 days in the dam during the summer...heres a little recomendation for ya if your into smokin the good stuff....the best cafe is one called the bushman..proper rasta cafe its lethal..3 grams for 15euro you cant go wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 northsidedave

im organising a stag for about 12 lads in july in amsterdam,i`ve never been there and would like to know wat stuff there is to do(apart from the blatently obvious)...i heard there is a shooting range there has anybody heard of it ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Heineken museum is probably one of those obvious one but well worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

Apart from the obvious, there a great place about 20 mins outside Amsterdam where all the original windmills are still in working order. A bit of culture and an opportunity to blow the cobwebs away after the night before, if u know what I mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭ronano

Never been and am going soon

i'll only be there for 2 days so won't see everything but any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭cono121

Ok, so no proper holidays this year, however a weekend in Amsterdam to make up for it. I need names of clubs, bars... etc

We are all 19 - 20.

Any names would be sweeeet!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭IronWolf

Just been living there for 4 month's, here's some of the better places I've been to:

Coffeeshops (The better one's):
    • Melkweg
    • Dampkring
    • Kandinsky's
    • Bushman
    • The Greenhouse

Clubs:
    • Melkweg (check website before going, wide variety of music)
    • Escape
    • Paradiso (check website before going, wide variety of music)

"Irish" Bars:
    • Slainte
    • Molly Mollone's - The owner Bernie is one of the nicest people you could ever meet
    • Durty Nellys

Regular bars (* means you can smoke pot there)
    • Lost In Amsterdam *
    • Barney's Uptown *
    • Sake & Co.
    • Suzy Wongs (very upmarket, shirts advisable)

Random:
    • Wok To Walk - Dotted around the central area, they're a local institution and well worth going to after a night out!

Remember that there are plenty of terrible tourist traps over there which make a fortune through charging extortionate prices to unknowing tourists (the gresshopper springs to mind), so be sure to have a look around before you setlle on a particular watering hole :)

Have you booked a hostel yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

IronWolf wrote: »
    Just been living there for 4 month's, here's some of the better places I've been to:

• Melkweg
    • Dampkring
    • Kandinsky's
    • Bushman
    • The Greenhouse

Clubs:
    • Escape

"Irish" Bars:
    • Slainte
    • Molly Mollone's - The owner Bernie is one of the nicest people you could ever meet
    • Durty Nellys

• Lost In Amsterdam *
    • Barney's Uptown *
    • Sake & Co.

Random:
    • Wok To Walk - Dotted around the central area, they're a local institution and well worth going to after a night out!

Remember that there are plenty of terrible tourist traps over there which make a fortune through charging extortionate prices to unknowing tourists (the gresshopper springs to mind), so be sure to have a look around before you setlle on a particular watering hole :)

try st Christophers Inn. A hostel and also a pub. Near to the town square where Madame Tusauds is.

IronWolf wrote: »

• Melkweg
    • Dampkring
    • Kandinsky's
    • Bushman
    • The Greenhouse

Clubs:
    • Escape

"Irish" Bars:
    • Slainte
    • Durty Nellys

• Lost In Amsterdam *
    • Barney's Uptown *
    • Sake & Co.

Random:

Cheers dude, thanks we'll be sure to check these out!
    Hostel, nah not yet. Our plan is; we arrive morning time, so spend a few hours setting up accommodation.
    Should we have planned that before?!

• Advertisement

cono121 wrote: »
    Cheers dude, thanks we'll be sure to check these out!
    Hostel, nah not yet. Our plan is; we arrive morning time, so spend a few hours setting up accommodation.
    Should we have planned that before?!
    definitely plan ahead. get yourself a book on Amsterdam (twenty euros but worth the invstement) which will give you list of all hostels and hotels and the various locations.. The tourist information centre beside the train station which will sort accomadation for you if you run into a pickle is extremely busy so i would book in advance. there is another hostel near Museum plein which is also another handy location as it quite near the main park there and few good pubs too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭IronWolf

Err, replace melkweg with Barneys in the coffeeshop section, typo sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

any other names of hostels?
    goin with my girlfriend, for the halloween weekend, should be fun...

Flying Pig Downtown Hostel. for backpackers. . 22 to 30 euros. ring amsterdam 420 68 22

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭tony231974

Go to the "Dapper Market" Voted The Best Daily Street Market in the Netherlands 2007 & 2008.It's near the Zoo.

Very cheap.

Yes the main park is good for a walk. Just dont get lost. Its very very big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Was there last weekend. I saw 4 guys on segway's....looked like great craic. They had the name of a hire company on them, i reckon a bit of googling would get you the name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Amsterdam is a great city for beer, here is a very good guide to the cafe and bars and if you visit just one try Café Gollem and the bottle shop beside it fantastic

just watch out for those damn cyclists. the ringing wont leave your ears for weeks to come!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭Fairdues

Anne Frank is definitely worth a visit. There a place about 20 minutes outside Amsterdam with working windmills etc etc - worth a visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭Fairdues

Sorry that I just can't remember the name of that place but anyone will tell you in Amsterdam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Fairdues wrote: »
    Anne Frank is definitely worth a visit. .

An there is an fantastic pancake place neat it on the canal, its in the rough guide I believe

oblivious wrote: »
    An there is an fantastic pancake place neat it on the canal, its in the rough guide I believe
    Anne Frank museum near enough to Madame Tusauds, on the banks of the canal. Beware the queues are big enough but well worth a visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Poutbutton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭abbey2000

Hi All. I am off to Amsterdam next week from Thurs to Sunday. Will be doing the usual touristy things such as anne frank, red light etc.

Just wondered if anyone has any tips on interesting places see, or things to do that are not listed in guide books?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

abbey2000 wrote: »
    Hi All. I am off to Amsterdam next week from Thurs to Sunday. Will be doing the usual touristy things such as anne frank, red light etc.

Just wondered if anyone has any tips on interesting places see, or things to do that are not listed in guide books?

Thanks.

Bungee jumping in The Hague ;) (used to be behind main train station in Dam) make sure to get a special muffin and milkshake in your local "coffeshop" before getting the train there

some laugh :D <-- your face will literary have this grin and color

/

The Heiniken Factory tour is very good, especially when your stoned. :D
    They have a simulation of how a bottle of heino is made, brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Anyone got any ideas for things to do in Amsterdam that doesn't involve S{X shows or Wacky Backy???

I'm planning to visit The Anne Frank house and the Van Gough museum but other than that I have no idea.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Love2love wrote: »
    Anyone got any ideas for things to do in Amsterdam that doesn't involve S{X shows or Wacky Backy???

I'm planning to visit The Anne Frank house and the Van Gough museum but other than that I have no idea.....
    Being Dutch I still havent got round to seeing the Ann Frank museum but got to see the Van Gogh last year, I thought it was excellent, strolled around for 2 hrs or so , and topped it off with a glass of wine and some Apple pie.

Take in the canal tour, its quite nice to see Amsterdam through the canals, especially on a nice morning.

I also would suggest a walking tour, I actually had walking tour recently of the Red light with a cousin of mine who lives in Amsterdam for 30 years. No sex shows involved but the area has a lot of interesting history.

Alot of what Amsterdam revolves on is Sex and Drugs so if thats not for you get out and see other places, places like Haarlem, Leiden and Delft are lovely towns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Was there recently -
    (1) Thought the heineken experience was okay
    (2) NEMO (science Centre), mostly for kids, Was lashing rain one day so me and the G/f went and had a great craic.
    (3) Nautical museum near nemo, didnt go myself but looked okay
    (4) Ice bar was a waste of money, wouldnt do that again
    (5) Hermitage art gallery
    (6) Zoo/Botanical Gardens
    (7) Lots of live music places, we went to Paradiso one night, its used to be a church now converted for concerts.

In the nights we used to enjoy sitting outside the bars watching all the stoned people walk by and people trying to be conspicuous going in and out of the windows.

• Advertisement
Advertisement