Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ants in the house please help!!

Options
  • 08-10-2007 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

hi,

I have discovered we have an ant problem downstairs, i thought i had just gotten rid of them and now they are upstairs! I think they have traveled up the skirting bord along the stairs...anyone have any ideas what ican do? the powder is just redirecting them every time i use it....how can i find and kill the source ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭blindman

Use nippon ant drops. A few drops along their run and they will bring it back to the nest and kill the nest. Do not try to kill all the ants on your property, just the ones in or near your house. there needs to be 1 or 2 dominent nests or new colonies will spring up all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

jon1981 wrote:
    hi,

I have discovered we have an ant problem downstairs, i thought i had just gotten rid of them and now they are upstairs! I think they have traveled up the skirting bord along the stairs...anyone have any ideas what ican do? the powder is just redirecting them every time i use it....how can i find and kill the source ??

Use plenty scented talcum powder: they will bring it back to nest.

the other weapon is spray them and the paths with vinegar/ water mix; 50/50

As long as u keep them at bay I would not be rushing to kill them: they do lots of good work in the garden and are very good at finding and attacking termite nests which will soon be here due to global warming: they are already north of Paris

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

blindman wrote:
    Use nippon ant drops. A few drops along their run and they will bring it back to the nest and kill the nest. Do not try to kill all the ants on your property, just the ones in or near your house. there needs to be 1 or 2 dominent nests or new colonies will spring up all over the place.

damn i have been killing every ant i see :eek: , they are gonna rage war on my house. ill try that nippon stuff!
    ircoha wrote:
    As long as u keep them at bay I would not be rushing to kill them: they do lots of good work in the garden and are very good at finding and attacking termite nests which will soon be here due to global warming: they are already north of Paris

I wouldnt mind them if they stayed in the garden! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

I found nippon works great just give it a few days and dont kill any more ants as they have to bring the poison back to the nest. Keep it away from pets and childern though!

I put it on a pieces of tin foil so that I can move them around
    regards

Garyh3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I would agree, Nippon is good stuff. One thing to bear in mind, ants are usually following a food trail so if you are inclined to snack in the bedroom you would need to ensure that you clean up crumbs etc. Also, as far as is practicable keep food, especially sweet stuff, in sealed containers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

My Mother in Law has told me her sister recently had this problem millions of ants getting in in several areas in old house. She poured pure lavender oil from health food shop/chemist liberally along the areas where they were getting in and collecting and all the ants left the building and the general area and not one has been seen since. It's good to use something that's not harmful to the environment or children. Ants mustn't like lavender..!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

thanks guys, i think i'll go with the stuff that they can take back to the nest, i want to get rid of the source :D

Advertisement