Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

can't call/text certain phones from meteor

• 08-10-2007 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

I think this has to do with their interconnect agreements. it gets kind of annoying although I called them and they removed a premium number block this only changes the error message I hear when I try to call one of those numbers. even if I can't call them they can usually call me so it has to be meteors fault

Bahrain - Cant text, possibly can't call phones over their either
    Thuraya, Iridium satellite - Can't call or text
    Some US/Canada mobiles (CDMA?) - can't text them, cant receive text from them either
    Cingular USA - Can't receive MMS from them

any more to be added to the list?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

you can't mms internationally - so that explains the cingular problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭RobbieMc

towel401 wrote:
    I think this has to do with their interconnect agreements. it gets kind of annoying although I called them and they removed a premium number block this only changes the error message I hear when I try to call one of those numbers. even if I can't call them they can usually call me so it has to be meteors fault

Bahrain - Cant text, possibly can't call phones over their either
    Thuraya, Iridium satellite - Can't call or text
    Some US/Canada mobiles (CDMA?) - can't text them, cant receive text from them either
    Cingular USA - Can't receive MMS from them

any more to be added to the list?
    Bahrain - Barred country
    Thuraya, Iridium satellite - Very expensive so are blocked from dialing. On saying that some roaming partners do not have these locations blocked and when you roam with them you can call these type's of numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

As his question is answered I'll jump in with a follow up.

Why is Bahrain barred then?
    Who decides Thuraya and Iridium satellite are too expensive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭RobbieMc

ciaranfo wrote:
    As his question is answered I'll jump in with a follow up.

Why is Bahrain barred then?
    Who decides Thuraya and Iridium satellite are too expensive?

I don't know everything but I can tell you this.
    To ring a marine phone like Iridium will cost you €10.50 per minute. Since most of these numbers are not always on air as if the ship is docked then they swop over to fixed land line numbers.Since a number of sexlines are now using 0087xx(iridium prefix) this barring is to ensure no one runs up a bill they will not pay.
    Not too sure on the Bahrain numbers as this moght have changed from when I last checked.

Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

RobbieMc wrote: »
    I don't know everything but I can tell you this.
    To ring a marine phone like Iridium will cost you €10.50 per minute. Since most of these numbers are not always on air as if the ship is docked then they swop over to fixed land line numbers.Since a number of sexlines are now using 0087xx(iridium prefix) this barring is to ensure no one runs up a bill they will not pay.
    Not too sure on the Bahrain numbers as this moght have changed from when I last checked.

Rob

10.50?? are you serious? i actually called eircom and asked them how much it was to call thuraya and he didn't know. i got some paki on the line and i had to tell him the name of a country before he could tell me how much it costs. thuraya is usually cheaper than iridium but it will still be expensive.

its annoying that i can't text them from meteor cause now if i text someone from my sat phone and they use meteor they can't text me back. less they go on the internet and send one for free but thats too much hassle for most people

what are these +887 sex lines? i can't find out who owns +887 - the 'global' satellite phone networks sit on +881 while regional ones like thuraya and AceS sit on +882

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Meteor block racists now. Savage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭HiredGun

This is a common and underrated problem that is often overlooked. When an operator doesn't have a roaming agreement with a foreign operator, texting between these operators usually doesn't work either. There are workarounds that operators can put in place but that's normal.

When I was with Meteor up until the end of 2004 I couldn't text friends on Vodafone Netherlands for example.

An important reason for not going with Three for me is that texting to Vodafone UK and I believe Orange UK isn't possible.

With both O2 and Vodafone you can sned and receive texts to/from Verizon, the largest US CDMA operator . Not possible with Meteor or 3.

Advertisement